My 83 KZ1100

• Shenaningeneer
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Jul 2013 18:12 #598105 by Shenaningeneer
My 83 KZ1100 was created by Shenaningeneer
Okay, since I've had this bike a little over a month I figured I'd post a few pictures. What I've done/doing might piss some people off, but... I'm really not a traditionalist.

So far:
New front tire
New mirrors with LED turn signals (cut off old turn signals, painted the cover over the upper forks to match the flat black I've done elsewhere)
New old school chopper headlight (old owner had a semi light on the front. Cut that out, fabbed up a mounting bracket, and cleaned up a lot of really shitty wiring. Also I suspect this bike used to have fairings, so I had to move some things around to clean it up)
Painted the lower forks and caliper flat black
Painted the tank flat black (previous owner had done it, but did a really shitty job)
Replaced the clutch cable (hey, it snapped on me on the freeway :/ )
Got rid of that huge tail/brake light. Replaced it with a much smaller and brighter LED system that integrated brake/tail/license/and turn signals. Also got rid of the ugly signals that used to be on there
Fixed the controls (ignition didn't want to work, turn signals were all gummed up, headlight/hi beam switch didn't work)

That's it so far. Next I'm going to get some new exhaust slip ons. Somebody drilled out the baffles. I guess to make it louder? I don't know. It makes my bike sound ghetto. Then a new rear tire. This winter I'm planning on replacing my handle bars, gauge cluster, controls, and getting new better mirrors.

Okay, now for the fun part!

Riding a KZ1100-L in Salt Lake City and loving it.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Shenaningeneer
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Jul 2013 18:26 #598107 by Shenaningeneer
Replied by Shenaningeneer on topic My 83 KZ1100
Continued...

with a few pics from my first solo long distance ride.

Attachments:

• Shenaningeneer
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jul 2013 19:06 #598259 by Shenaningeneer
Replied by Shenaningeneer on topic My 83 KZ1100
UPDATE:

Welded shut the holes the previous owner drilled in the baffles. It's ugly, but my exhaust note is much cleaner, I get into the power band earlier, and I'm not constantly backfiring under deceleration. I think the holes were causing my bike to run too lean.

I'm still going to buy a new exhaust, hopefully this riding season, but this will make the meantime much more pleasant.

Pretty sure I burned through half a tank when I went for a test ride, though......

More
26 Jul 2013 10:32 #598368 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic My 83 KZ1100
welcome.

looks like a fun ride.

keep us posted,

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0