78 KZ650 C2/ 79 D2 Hybrid Brat

• copperhead_77
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jul 2013 19:12 #595871 by copperhead_77
78 KZ650 C2/ 79 D2 Hybrid Brat was created by copperhead_77
So some might realize that I originally posted my bike as a 77 C1, but after a little help from Ed and some research I found that the frame is a 78 C2 frame and the engine is a 79 D2. Was going to go simple and "rig" everything up, but during the course I decided to buy a mig welder and start fabricating my creation, could say a passion developed and now I am diving in.

So this is Day 1:

Attachment kx6501_2013-07-10.jpg not found

Attachment kz6503_2013-07-10.jpg not found

This was about a week later, nothing fancy:

Attachment kz650c6_2013-07-10.jpg not found

Attachment kz650c2_2013-07-10.jpg not found

I came across a Brat Kit made by a company called MonsterCraftsman,

Attachment 0brat234.jpg not found

and the kit is strictly for the Yamaha XS650 (seen in the picture above), the frame is obviously different. So I am making my own, it has been 6 years since I had been in any welding class but I believe I still have it in me to make good welds. Besides the frame mod, I can now easily attach the rear fender, the false oil tank for the electronics and the electric start panel, almost forgot about my seat I am almost done with it. Ill have pictures in a day or two, the hinge and springs are on their way, also found an instrument cluster on ebay for 30.00 and it is in good working shape.

Also there were pieces of gasket falling out from under the valve cover lid, I suspected RTV or something by the color, sure enough, there was no standard gasket I was cleaning everything I pulled off the tensioner bracket and one of the rubber bushing fell down into the space where the chain from the cams goes, any advise on getting it out, other than disassembly. Unless it completely has to be done.

1978 KZ650 C2/ 1979 KZ650 D2 (SR) Hybrid
Arizona
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• copperhead_77
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jul 2013 04:32 #596384 by copperhead_77
Replied by copperhead_77 on topic 78 KZ650 C2/ 79 D2 Hybrid Brat
Finally got some more pictures today, and I took off the lower end of the motor and fished out the rubber bushing, also stumbled across a Honda 650 motor and frame at my brother-in-laws house and they are moving so I'm going to see if he wants me to take it off his hands.

Enough of that, these are the pictures of where I am at now:
the current state of the bike is still a little rough

Attachment framechop71313.jpg not found

Attachment chopchop.jpg not found

the cut tube on the backside of the 2nd picture was cut number one but it didn't leave me with enough room to work with so I cut to the down-tube, but now that I have a MIG welder I can get some real work done. Still waiting on the tubing though.

Attachment cleantop.jpg not found

However I did get my seat pan knocked out, my new light came in, as well as the valve cover gasket, the gauges, kick-start and the mirrors. I found an old ammo can I'm going to try and use as an electrical box for the battery and mount the electric start.

Attachment newaccs.jpg not found

Attachment gauges.jpg not found

Attachment cleantop.jpg not found

I also had some time to clean up the shop a bit, partially due to a crazy Arizona monsoon type of flash storm, the roof leaks and I kind of forgot until it was raining on my head. I used an old above-ground pool to temporarily fix the situation.

Attachment shophigh1.jpg not found

The motor is super clean and hardly any wear on the upper end, I suspect the PO liked their rat bike.

Attachment engineleft.jpg not found

I am working patiently with the screws for the cover around the sprocket on the left side of the engine, I also got the oil seals and the shift lever is leaking like crazy that is what has me messing with that

How do I go about getting the front sprocket off, also anyone know id the wheels from a Honda CB650, its a 78 and an A model if B-I-L is right, they are wire wheels and in good condition, so if anyone knows, any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Attachment shophigh1.jpg not found

Arizona
Attachments:

• copperhead_77
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Jul 2013 01:16 - 17 Jul 2013 01:21 #596882 by copperhead_77
So got everything except the tubing, the frames is ready and prepped:

Attachment prepedframe1.jpg not found

Attachment prepedframe2.jpg not found

Made a simple bracket for the Harley headlight:

Attachment bracket.jpg not found

Attachment headlight.jpg not found

Got the shop picked up and the battery box off the swing-arm:

Attachment cleanshop.jpg not found

Attachment swingarm-battery.jpg not found

and the gauges all wired back up, no pics of that

Arizona
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Jul 2013 01:21 by copperhead_77. Reason: added pic

More
17 Jul 2013 10:00 #596906 by Beaner242
Replied by Beaner242 on topic 78 KZ650 C2/ 79 D2 Hybrid Brat
Nice job so far. this is something i would like to do also. Do you know what handlebars are on you bike now, that is what im wanting. thanks

1982 KZ1000K LTD Chopper

• copperhead_77
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Jul 2013 16:57 #596973 by copperhead_77
I just took some 7/8" aluminum tubing with a 1/4" wall and made 7 degree bends, I had a steel set of bars, almost the same just heavier. Im going to try and do some copper bars and fenders after I get her back together

Arizona

• copperhead_77
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Jul 2013 00:19 #597040 by copperhead_77
I decided to use the ammo box as a tool box for the bike and just make a box to fit the battery snug:

Attachment batterybox1.jpg not found

Still waiting on the tubing, it is coming from Wisconsin so it will probably be here tomorrow. Ill post pics after everything gets tacked together, but for now I got the engine 95% done, seemed to have lost an allen bolt for the cam chain tensioner

Attachment zippedup.jpg not found

Got the new rear wheel bearing in and back on the axle:

Attachment 5inchesRH.jpg not found

and the frame married to the wheels and suspension, minus the rear shocks:

Attachment stance1.jpg not found

Attachment stance2.jpg not found

Getting pretty close to getting it all back together, does anyone know where to find wiring diagrams?

Arizona
Attachments:

More
18 Jul 2013 00:33 #597042 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 78 KZ650 C2/ 79 D2 Hybrid Brat
Here are KZ650 wiring diagrams. Ed

diagrams.kz650.info/wiring/WiringDiagrams.htm

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: copperhead_77

• copperhead_77
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Jul 2013 01:08 #597240 by copperhead_77
So I started mocking everything up and here is what it is looking like:

Attachment reassembly1.jpg not found

Attachment reassembly2.jpg not found

found this nasty lady while cleaning up, actually found 6 of them, this ones body was about as big as a dime.

Attachment blackwidow.jpg not found

Has anyone filled in the emblem mounts on the tank with weld or sheet metal, if so any pointers, specifically for flux core welding or should I have someone TIG it? I don't want to cut the tank, just cut and lay a piece in there. also is 1" OD x .049 wall too thin to use to make my upper frame mod, like what I am mounting the seat and shocks to?

Arizona
Attachments:

• copperhead_77
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Jul 2013 02:19 #597659 by copperhead_77
Replied by copperhead_77 on topic 79 650 D2 Bobber....lots of pictures
So I had a couple days away from the bike, the carrier bearing in my truck blew out so I was busy with that but today I got everything tacked together. I have been milling around some ideas and I cannot decide which way to go but I started this as a bobber project, I believe that's the way I an going to go, which means ordering more tubing....
From the left, don't be too harsh I got all this done in about 15 minutes, cuts and all

Attachment leftmockup.jpg not found

Attachment rightmockup.jpg not found

Attachment rearmockup.jpg not found

I don't remember if I had said anything about the color of the tank and how I wasn't digging it..... So this is about 10 minutes into the first coat of aircraft stripper. Use gloves this shit really burns

Attachment 10minsin.jpg not found

and I wish I knew this was under all 6 layers of paint, I like it but I started going at the tank with a sharp scapper, so the tank is either going to be black or bare metal but I need some votes because I cannot decide

Attachment origtank.jpg not found

Also sketched up this idea for a jockey shifter bracket that would allow me to engage the clutch with little effort but I am not sure if this would work. Any advise or pointer would be cool

Attachment shiftassist.jpg not found

Attachment shiftassistside.jpg not found

Arizona
Attachments: