1981 KZ440LTD-A2 Restoration Project

• danger_bandito
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live fat, die young!
More
16 Jun 2013 03:09 #592502 by danger_bandito
1981 KZ440LTD-A2 Restoration Project was created by danger_bandito
About 3 months ago, to this date, I found out that my co-worker had a kz440ltd sitting in his shed, and he was not riding it. About a week and a half of pestering him every day, he finally caved and sold me the bike for $500 as-is. Elated, I threw the money at him without ever really considering what I was doing. Before I knew it, I had my first motorcycle, a major project, and a very unsure girlfriend. I fell in love with the bike at first sight, and am actually really excited to be doing the work on it myself. I have to stress that this is the first ever motorcycle I've owned AND worked-on. (Gotta start somewhere, right?) Armed with very basic tools, a Clymer's manual, the helpful community at KZrider ;) , and a very limited supply of money - I hope to be able to have this bike ride-able, and Virginia inspection-worthy by the end of the Summer. (Before then would be nice, too.)

Attachment 20130421_143110.jpg not found

I am picking it up next Sunday and plan on getting dirty with it immediately.

Attachment 20130421_143137.jpg not found

My first agenda is to rebuild the front brakes, replace the rear drum brake shoes, and clean/rebuild the carburetors. That being said, does anyone know of an aftermarket caliper I can slap on it? Also, can I bypass the splitter in the brake hoses from the master cylinder to the caliper by running one continual line?

ANY AND ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED FOR THIS HUMBLE NOOB :blush:

As much as I agree with the term "YOLO," I equally hate it.
1981 KZ440LTD-A2 - "Calamity"
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• danger_bandito
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live fat, die young!
More
16 Jun 2013 03:11 #592503 by danger_bandito
Replied by danger_bandito on topic 1981 KZ440LTD-A2 Restoration Project
One more thing!

If anyone has any other basic go-overs to start-out with, I'd love to hear 'em!

More
16 Jun 2013 09:33 #592517 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 1981 KZ440LTD-A2 Restoration Project
Welcome aboard! I'm not sure why you are looking for an aftermarket caliper; is the one on the bike damaged? As far as some general advice, take a look at the link below; it may have some info that will help you get started. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/580406-...biker-from-mn#580410

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• danger_bandito
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live fat, die young!
More
16 Jun 2013 18:56 #592588 by danger_bandito
Thanks Ed! The fasteners holding the halves of the caliper together have rusted tight, and aren't cooperating at all. The bike has been sitting for 15 years, and I'm not sure I want to entrust 70% of my stopping power to it. I am also quite weary of ordering one from ebay, as they are just as old, and not specificaly guarenteed to work.

More
16 Jun 2013 20:03 #592592 by 650ed
Here's a diagram of the front caliper for the KZ440-A2. Which bolts are being stubborn? Ed

Attachment 00000_2013-06-16.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
16 Jun 2013 22:44 #592607 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic 1981 KZ440LTD-A2 Restoration Project
Ed has you on the right track. A lot of us on here are riding close to 40 year old bikes. If you can get it apart you can easily rebuild it. Of course you will test everything out when done. Enjoy your project but beware, it can be addicting!
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

• danger_bandito
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live fat, die young!
More
16 Jun 2013 22:53 #592611 by danger_bandito
I'm not quite sure which bolt is is just yet, it's still sittingat my coworker's place, and I've only had my hands on the caliper for a total of 20 or so minutes. I will be getting it trucked to my house on Sunday, and will be able to give you vastly more info then. Sorry for jumping the gun. :blush:

More
16 Jun 2013 23:10 #592621 by 650ed
No problem. If you find you have a nut or bolt that is stubborn don't force it you you may break or strip it. I HIGHLY recommend you simply soak any frozen fastener with Kroil for 2 or 3 days and it should come off with no trouble. Kroil has saved me from breaking several fasteners. You can usually find it at gun shows or you can order it from the maker at www.kanolabs.com . Kano makes several flavors, but below is a pic of the stuff I use. Ed

Attachments:

More
17 Jun 2013 10:11 #592679 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 1981 KZ440LTD-A2 Restoration Project
I've had good luck w Liquid Wrench penetrating spray lubricant, but KROIL is probably a superior product. Like 650ed said, apply the stuff & give it time to work... days if necessary. In some cases you can use heat from a propane torch - away from the fuel tank, carbs, plastic, & wiring - usually w the part removed from the bike & in a well ventilated area (the front fork bottom allen bolts for instance). Vibration can help in some cases - tap tap tap w a mallet & wood block to help loosen some stuff. Use heat & vibration in conjunction w the penetrant. A hand impact driver is a handy tool, especially for the engine cover bolts (pulsing coil cover & alternator cover).

Go ahead & get the Kawasaki factory manual. Clymer manuals tend to have errors - from what others have reported I'm pretty sure the clutch adjustment procedure is wrong, or at least ambiguous. The owner's manual should have the correct procedure. Some new KZ riders don't realize it's located in a pull-down document case on the underside of the seat.

• danger_bandito
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live fat, die young!
More
17 Jun 2013 15:35 #592725 by danger_bandito
Thanks for the tip! I am probably going to have to order the manual, the only thing under the seat is cobwebs and mouse poop. :laugh: As for pneumatic tools, I don't have a compressor, so everything I use has to be powered by hand. That being said, I deliver pizzas for a living, so my budget is pretty tight anyway.

• danger_bandito
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live fat, die young!
More
18 Jun 2013 16:54 #592907 by danger_bandito
ORDERING PARTS!!!

So far, I have ordered a tach cable (didn't have one on the bike), two carb rebuild kits, a replacement gear shift lever, and a new throttle cable. Considering I am going to overhaul the front brake, should I get a caliper rebuild kit, and new brake lines? If so, should I find a used OEM line with the splitter, or can I run one continual line?

Thanks!

• Killman
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
More
18 Jun 2013 16:58 #592910 by Killman
Replied by Killman on topic 1981 KZ440LTD-A2 Restoration Project
Your bike has a single disc up front. So no splitter, just one line. Are you making sure to order the right length for your cables to go with your new handlebars?

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack