Said I wouldn't do this again, but here we go!

• Juicyk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Who needs guages?
More
16 May 2013 14:34 - 16 May 2013 14:46 #587747 by Juicyk
So after my last bike an xs650 build I said I wouldn't start another old bike project until I had graduated college. But we all know how not starting a project goes haha.

Starting with my first KZ400, that has been all sorts of messed up by the previous owners. Bought for $500. It has it issues like this one here!
It has a newly covered stock leather seat that is really nice, but I prefer to sit much lower on my bikes. So that'll have to go.

Here's a pic from me just messing with the rear stance and handle bars.

It was looking at this that made me this about doing a flat seat, and going fenderless.

The Plans:

1) Remove fenders
2) Minimize the appearance of the wiring and electrical components.
3) Flat of much thinner seat.
4) Either smaller headlight or if possible flip the mounts on the stock light to lower it.
5) Bates style tail light with license plate mount.
6) Paint the tank a vintaged, patina look. But keep it nice looking.
7) Clean and polish the motor.
8) Possibly run some honda rebel 250 shocks to lower and stiffen the ride.
9) More to come

Graphic Designer that likes to get out from behind the computer to get greasy!
Last edit: 16 May 2013 14:46 by Juicyk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Juicyk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Who needs guages?
More
19 May 2013 16:30 - 19 May 2013 16:35 #588197 by Juicyk
So I'm waiting on a new petcock to fix the gas in the engine case issue, I figured I'd do something.
Pulled off the front fender and I'm thinking of cutting and using it as a rear fender. What do you guys think.

I like the slim/skinny look it gives the bike. I'm all about my bikes be small, lightweight, and stubby.

Also looking into the bike more I'm thinking about keeping the stock seat and just removing 2-3 inches of foam. After that just have it recovered with the old leather.

Shocks are also an issue. The ones pictured I'm told are from an xs650. problem is they wore through the tail light wiring.
I can't quite decide if I want to lower it with a set of 10in rebel shocks, or go taller? Maybe something like 14 or 15in for an aggressive stance.

Last edit: 19 May 2013 16:35 by Juicyk.

More
19 May 2013 18:03 - 19 May 2013 18:04 #588206 by Patton

Juicyk wrote: So I'm waiting on a new petcock to fix the gas in the engine case issue....

The true "fix" is correcting whatever condition that's allowing the carb fuel level to exceed the prescribed level (usually 3mm± below the carb body).

A properly functioning carb will maintain the correct fuel level without any petcock or when the petcock is left in a free-flow setting.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 19 May 2013 18:04 by Patton.

• Juicyk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Who needs guages?
More
20 May 2013 09:44 #588318 by Juicyk

Patton wrote:

Juicyk wrote: So I'm waiting on a new petcock to fix the gas in the engine case issue....

The true "fix" is correcting whatever condition that's allowing the carb fuel level to exceed the prescribed level (usually 3mm± below the carb body).

A properly functioning carb will maintain the correct fuel level without any petcock or when the petcock is left in a free-flow setting.

Good Fortune! :)

Noted, I checked everything when i pulled the carbs apart but it all seamed fine. Either way I've got seat and needles on the way. Maybe while I wait for the parts to show I'll check the overflow tubes again. Just give them another once over.

• Juicyk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Who needs guages?
More
21 May 2013 15:39 - 21 May 2013 15:41 #588559 by Juicyk
Well got bored last night and ran to the local motorcycle shop here in BG. What an experience haha. They couldn't order carb kits for my '76 but the did have needles. Guess
I didn't quite see how bad the condition of my current seats were without something to compare them to. Rookie mistake I guess :laugh:

The mechanic gave me some advice about the seats. Head said to get some honing compound and use a q-tip and lightly scrub the seat, clean with carb cleaner and everything should be OK.
Figured I'd run it by you guys and see what everyone thought before I, with my inexperience went a head and did something I didn't quite know how to do.

Last edit: 21 May 2013 15:41 by Juicyk.

More
21 May 2013 21:24 - 21 May 2013 21:25 #588613 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Said I wouldn't do this again, but here we go!
I used mothers aluminum polish. Has worked well for me most of the time but didnt work that well on my smoothbores last fall. Ended up with new needle and seats. Worth a try.
Just be sure to test them on the bench so you dont have to pull them again.
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover
Last edit: 21 May 2013 21:25 by kzz1king.

More
21 May 2013 21:48 #588623 by boatdrinks
Replied by boatdrinks on topic Said I wouldn't do this again, but here we go!
Probably depends whether the seats are grooved or pitted. I have used Blue Magic and rubbing compound to polish seats every time I clean a set of carbs. Can't hurt anything just use it sparingly and make sure you don't leave any residue that might clog something up.

Charles
Madison, AL
1978 KZ650 B2A, Luminous Dark Blue