1979 kz1000 project, need direction!

More
21 Apr 2013 13:08 #583426 by rspector
1979 kz1000 project, need direction! was created by rspector
I have a 1979 kz1000 b3 frame with a 1979 kz1000 mkii engine, it has a different head on it, has been bored out to 1327, mre lockup clutch,mtc jugs, different front end,breaks,swingarm,suspension,exhaust. It has the cafe racer 1 piece gas tank and seat combination, that I want to change. It also has clipons and an unidentifyable front end setup. I have done substantial modifications to bikes in the past and the work doesn't bother me. I just have no idea where to begin with speccing a front end with USD forks and tripple trees. Not to mention a gas tank/seat/brake light that will fit. I removed the points and install a dyna 2000 kit to match the green dyna coils. Bike does run, but was leaking from a broken oil cooler , I would like to replace it with a more modern setup but again have no idea what kind of clearance the front end offers for bigger modern oil coolers. I'm looking for any advice I can get as far as what other people have had success with on the same foundation i'm working with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I have included some pics in the post to help with identification (front end, rear end, breaks, wheels). This is a great bike that i'm prepared to invest in , just need to know where to start.
Thanks in advance
Rob Spector

Attachment IMG_0688compressed.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0689compressed.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0690compressed.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0691compressed.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0692compressed.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0693compressed.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0694compressed.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_0695compressed.jpg not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2013 19:36 #583457 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic 1979 kz1000 project, need direction!
Nice bones for a good project. The main thing I think would be to have a grasp on a design direction and then find parts to work with that...of course as time (and parts) happen sometimes the direction changes. Are you interested in cafe bikes, modern resto type, drag style? There are quite a few ideas to be found in the projects section. Two of the cooler projects are Old Man Rock's Bike and Testarossa's Bike (in my opinion) but there are plenty more...one of the great things about both those builds is how extensively they were documented, lots or really good info on how to approach a build, worth a read. A lot of folks on here like GSXR as donor bikes. Good luck with it all..... :)

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

More
21 Apr 2013 21:17 #583468 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic 1979 kz1000 project, need direction!
Amazing, looks like you have your work cut out for you. With a little money, patience and time you can get that to look like whatever you want it to. Liking the swingarm.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200