Parts for a KZ550-M

More
11 Apr 2013 15:24 #581849 by KZ550NewGuy
Parts for a KZ550-M was created by KZ550NewGuy
OK, I have a basic question...

How do I know if the parts from another bike will match mine?
I've used the diagrams and search features of kawasaki.com ... I know how to figure out if the part numbers are the same. But does that mean that if the part numbers don't match then there won't be a fit?

Am I wrong in thinking that some projects combined pieces of various bikes ... with success ... without the part numbers matching?

Any thoughts/comments will be appreciated. Thanks. -NG

1983 KZ550-M1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2013 15:32 #581851 by boatdrinks
Replied by boatdrinks on topic Parts for a KZ550-M
If the parts diagram does not show a direct cross, it then becomes anyone's best guess as to whether you can transfer a part from one model to the next. If you have something in particular in mind, float it out to the group. You may get lucky and someone has already tried it.

Charles
Madison, AL
1978 KZ650 B2A, Luminous Dark Blue
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZ550NewGuy

More
11 Apr 2013 15:39 #581852 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Parts for a KZ550-M
Depends on the parts. Part numbers for KZ1000 pistons and KZ650 pistons are different, and there's no way that the parts can be made compatible with or without modification. However, part numbers for a blue KZ650-C1 tank and a silver KZ650-C1 tank are different but the tanks can be swapped with no modification to anything. Your best bet is to become familiar with the parts in question (measure them, see if anyone else has successfully swapped them, etc.) before buying parts not marked specifically for your bike. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZ550NewGuy

More
11 Apr 2013 16:16 #581856 by KZ550NewGuy
Replied by KZ550NewGuy on topic Parts for a KZ550-M
Thanks.

I thought maybe there was a way to look-up the info I needed to know.
It's nice to have the forum out there. But I didn't want to abuse the privilege by asking questions that I could easily look up myself. -NG

1983 KZ550-M1

More
11 Apr 2013 17:42 #581869 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Parts for a KZ550-M
Using the Kawasaki Parts Diagrams, when you click on a part number, the little pop-up window shows the rest of the info. Click the little yellow "?" question mark. That shows other models that use the same part. If the part was Superceded, click the red "S" to view the older part numbers. Sometimes they don't list all the models with the newest part number, it will jump older part numbers.

Other things you can do is compare surrounding part numbers. Takes a little work. I usually print out the diagram for a certain section for 2-3 models, then just cross off compatible parts from the exploded views.

I learned that Kawasaki changed part numbers frequently, sometimes even twice a model year. color, different marking, different supplier all get new part numbers, even though it's the same "base" part.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
11 Apr 2013 20:15 #581896 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Parts for a KZ550-M
I also posted in your other thread.

First, just to be sure, you are matching the entire number correct? The drawings only have a partial number as a reference. The parts list will have the full number.

Also, the cross reference list ofr other bikes using the same part is based on whether the part shows up on the other bike's fiche or not. A part number can show up on a fiche, but not be used on a particular bike. You have to look at the notes in the parts list to confirm it's for the correct year. Because of this, some bikes will show up on a cross reference list that don't necessarily use the part in question.

The only way to be reasonably sure is to check the actual parts listing for the bike in question.

Also, as others have said, the different part number may simply be because it's a different color, so non-matching numbers does not mean non-matching part. For the forks, you should check the other associated parts like bushings seals bearings etc. That may help give a clue whether something will match or not.