1979 kz650 b3 touring project

• faceplateman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Apr 2013 22:32 #580606 by faceplateman
1979 kz650 b3 touring project was created by faceplateman
I recently got my brothers kz650 that was passed to him by my dad. It is my first bike. I want to turn it into a touring bike. This isnt really a fabrication project but more of a parts project. The bike was in a couple of fires thanks to my brother so the wiring harness is charred in places so i have some electrical work to do. My brother installed some dyna jets, pod filters and rear diode turn signals. I have a Vetter Kawasaki fairing from my dad that im going to put on. other than that the bike is pretty much stock.

Additions to come:
digital instrument cluster
hard saddle bags with rear luggage rack
a radio (if i can find a way to mount it to the fairing)
led front turn signals
and a new paint job (probably going to be a deep blue)

the bike on the right is my dads concours. the one on the left is my kz650.

1979 kz650 b3
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2013 11:01 - 05 Apr 2013 11:07 #580687 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 1979 kz650 b3 touring project
Just a couple of considerations... your results may vary. If you're going to use it as an actual touring bike, it might be better to have the stock airbox, since you'll have to take the weather as it comes.... wind, rain, cross-winds, etc which can adversely affect pod filter airflow. If the bike has points, electronic ignition may be preferable as well, since it would be just about maintenance free.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2013 11:07 by martin_csr.

• faceplateman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Apr 2013 11:28 #580696 by faceplateman
Replied by faceplateman on topic 1979 kz650 b3 touring project
thanks for your interest in my project. i dont know if i still have the stock airbox. would i have to rejet the carb if i switched back to the stock airbox.

1979 kz650 b3

More
05 Apr 2013 17:58 #580747 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 1979 kz650 b3 touring project
Probably - it all depends on what was done to it. In the photo the bike appears to have the stock exhaust system, so it should be a fairly simple matter to revert back to the stock jetting n stuff or thereabouts.

• faceplateman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jun 2013 21:13 #591822 by faceplateman
sorry its been so long since ive posted anything on this thread but ive been busy trying to find a job. anyways ive got the fairing mounted and it looks beautiful.i haven't really done much else with it. but ive got some changes to my original plan with the bike. its still going to be a bagger but what i want to do is replace the rear cowl and tail light with kz1000mk2 parts and possibly get rid of the rear fender. i just love the way the mk2 looks with the tail light sunken into the rear cowl but i dont know if the parts from the mk2 will fit on my kz650b3. i also want to put stock tail lights back on the rear rather than convert the whole bike to led.

1979 kz650 b3

• faceplateman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jun 2013 12:20 #592093 by faceplateman
i also want to put mag wheels on it

1979 kz650 b3