Adding Custom Triple Trees from our man Les

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
14 Mar 2013 16:47 #576952 by Street Fighter LTD
Adding Custom Triple Trees from our man Les was created by Street Fighter LTD

Wanted to share some pictures I just took during tear down and fitting my new custom triple trees from Les Holt.
Trial fitting looks great so far, Had to order new tapered roller bearings from Z 1 Ent this morning . Cant get the ones I already had in the bike out with out damage so after 30 plus years with the old tapered bearings I guess its time for a new set.
Once this is completed Im planning on some more over the top upgrades. ( To announced at a later date ).
Hate to take apart a perfectly good motorcycle, but I made a exception in this case.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2013 18:29 #576963 by DesertKZ
Replied by DesertKZ on topic Adding Custom Triple Trees from our man Les
Damn that's purty.

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
14 Mar 2013 19:57 #576973 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Adding Custom Triple Trees from our man Les
Very cool B)

78 KZ1000 A2A

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
15 Mar 2013 02:20 #576999 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Adding Custom Triple Trees from our man Les
:)

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
15 Mar 2013 11:10 #577030 by Hollywoodmx
Replied by Hollywoodmx on topic Adding Custom Triple Trees from our man Les
looks fantastic! Bearing is upsidedown. :silly:

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
15 Mar 2013 12:58 #577041 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Adding Custom Triple Trees from our man Les

Hollywoodmx wrote: looks fantastic! Bearing is upsidedown. :silly:

Yep !! ;)
Thats the old top bearing, just sitting there so it stays where I can find it later if for some reason I need it . LOL :laugh:
Only used 600 grit paper and some Mothers Billet Polish so far and they look great !! I will be using a buffing wheel and compound on everything before Im done to really make it POP ;)
Les did a great job of machining these trees and the machine marks came out pretty easy.
Will need to modify or make a new Boost Gauge bracket to complete the basic install, and then save up my pennies for all new stainless steel brake lines. I want to see if I can find some that maybe have the ends pre installed to do away with multiple couplings. Anyone know a good source ? I might take a ride to a place in Troy MI. called Auto Cycle Marine that I used to do business with and see what they have.
Thanks for the Kind words
Dave
B) B) B)

Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
15 Mar 2013 16:01 #577067 by NakedFun
Replied by NakedFun on topic Adding Custom Triple Trees from our man Les
Galpher and HEL will make you whatever you want. In addition I have used Earls and Russel universal braided brake lines and then you can pick your fittings. Go to Summit Racing or Jegs. They only come in clear over the stainless braid, no colors like Galpher and HEL.

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

More
20 Mar 2013 14:28 #577854 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Adding Custom Triple Trees from our man Les
They sure do look purdy! But I guess I would say that. :laugh: Made any more progress? Anxious to see how the brake routing turns out. Keep us informed bud!

Les

More
20 Mar 2013 14:33 #577855 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Adding Custom Triple Trees from our man Les
those definately rock! I am getting anxious to put mine together now

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

More
20 Mar 2013 14:57 #577858 by 79MKII
Replied by 79MKII on topic Adding Custom Triple Trees from our man Les
Wow those are nice! :woohoo: Are they set up for stock components? I also like the fork brace...any idea if those can still be purchased anywhere?

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
20 Mar 2013 15:36 #577861 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Adding Custom Triple Trees from our man Les

79MKII wrote: Wow those are nice! :woohoo: Are they set up for stock components? I also like the fork brace...any idea if those can still be purchased anywhere?

Thanks 79MarkII

Les made these for me to work with all the factory parts . ;)
I had never been in love with the factory brake splitter on the 78 LTD lower trees. It always looked like a design compromise bolted to the front of my bike. And I always since new wanted to cleanup that area. And who wouldnt want to do it with a set of custom billet trees that scream COOOOOOL !!!! :woohoo:
I have said on other threads that I try to keep my bike close to original when it makes sense, but these go with the whole Turbo Hotrod theme I have had since the bike was new.
I think you can still get the fork brace I have , but bought mine over 30 years ago .
All this being said the one change needed when we eliminated the splitter is a longer brake line from the master cylinder to the lower tree . But that just means its time to look at stainless steel lines to really make the front end POP. :evil:
Been real busy and getting home late but will get some updated pictures posted soon

Thanks Dave
B) B)

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Topic Author
  • Away
More
21 Mar 2013 21:06 #578053 by Street Fighter LTD

Bike is back together other than boost gauge bracket which I will fix Friday.
Once I get this thing clean again and out of my dark shop I will take some good pics.
Going to a show this weekend and plan on getting some shot of my bud Ron Finch with the Kaw. He loves these classics as much or more than we do. :evil: :evil:
These shot show the factory gauge pack and how the stock brake lines mount to the lower tree without the ugly fackory splitter up front.
Will post more pics by Monday
Enjoy your weekends
Dave

Attachments: