1977 kz650 C1 streetfighter

More
04 Mar 2013 11:35 #575259 by symbolical
1977 kz650 C1 streetfighter was created by symbolical
Well of course I am new, I am very well mechanically inclined minus knowledge of what parts are although I do learn very quick. So with all the ideas that I have been reading and as old as the bike is parts aren't that easy to find to keep this bike original.
I picked up this bike for about 300 bucks from the first owner and about 47% of it.. lol was in a water trowel. The story about it was that it is stuck in gear and couldn't shift. So the owner gave it to his son... lol I think you the rest. The owner had told me about what the bike came with and what he had added once he had purchased new was the police wheels, kerker megaphone exhaust and electronic ignition. I think that I got a good start.

It's not how you start life it's how you end it!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2013 12:09 - 04 Mar 2013 12:27 #575261 by symbolical
Replied by symbolical on topic 1977 kz650 C1 streetfighter
I did replace the mission plate and the seals on it too (because the old one had been cracked from the chain breaking),chain, rear sprocket (which I am having alignment issues for so screwed up reason that I don't know. I'll be trying to add shims to the back of the rear sprocket in lue of that.) , claw and leaver (where the pin that connects the two had fell out!). Luckily I found that in the oil pan and had placed all back together and running lol "well kind of". the gas tank was noting but rust so I've taken air to it and used baking soda and kerosene to do the trick. The fuel petcock was destroyed from sitting so I did find a brand new one @ www.webike.net it's said to only fit a kz400 although it works very well being on my bike now. O-rings on the carbs had to be replaced and cleaned. for some strange reason the carbs are leaking from the bowls rubber hoses. I'm not sure whats going on since the fuel levels are set to normal. I'm thinking that the brass piece connecting to the bowl is loose but it won't leak when running.... could somebody give me insight about that?

Last edit: 04 Mar 2013 12:27 by symbolical. Reason: I forgot to add details

More
04 Mar 2013 12:15 #575263 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic 1977 kz650 C1 streetfighter
welcome.
brass tube possibly cracked?

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
04 Mar 2013 12:31 #575265 by symbolical
if the bike is running it wont leak so if it would be cracked would it leak all the time

More
04 Mar 2013 12:43 #575266 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 1977 kz650 C1 streetfighter
Welcome aboard. I'm glad to see you are smart enough to start you project using a rather whipped KZ650-C1 as the foundation; you are correct - restoring it to original condition would be difficult and expensive. Your approach makes way more sense to me than some others I've seen who start with a bike that is all original (paint and all) and hack it to pieces before (apparently) abandoning their project.

Case in point - the bike pictured below was (except the exhaust) all original and in excellent condition when this project started. The builder changed everything, including putting in a Suzuki? engine. There are no pictures of a finished product (the bike in the picture is not in running condition), so it's hard to tell whether the owner gave up or is still working on it. In either case he could have started with a bare frame rather than a nice original bike, and a Suzuki frame would have been a better fit for the engine. He replaced everything on the bike anyway expect the tank which he dented in and sanded off the original paint.

Good luck with your project, there are lots of folks here who can provide support. Oh, and stick with the KZ engine, they are rock solid. Ed

Attachment 00000_2013-03-04.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
04 Mar 2013 13:20 #575268 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic 1977 kz650 C1 streetfighter

symbolical wrote: if the bike is running it wont leak so if it would be cracked would it leak all the time

Not necessarily, crack could be small enough that motor burns off excees fuel fast enough.
Do all bowls leak?
Run out, dribble, ?
How did you check fuel level? Measure floats or use clear tube method?

I would hook a clear tube to bottom of offending carb and hold it against side of carb body. If brass tube is cracked it will only leak to proper float level. If not correct it will go higher. I think I have this right. ;)
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

More
04 Mar 2013 14:06 #575276 by symbolical
Two show damp at the end and the third drips at the mind of its own or so if I had jus flick it would pour out too. I did use a clear tube to check it. and is set lean but near where it should be. I did have this problem with the floats sticking to the side and would not move. which I had taken a small file and toothbrush to feather the edges of where the float pin would hold to the carb.
I do agree about just the one bowl being cracked lol I moved to another carb and it did the same.

kzz1king wrote:

symbolical wrote: if the bike is running it wont leak so if it would be cracked would it leak all the time

Not necessarily, crack could be small enough that motor burns off excees fuel fast enough.
Do all bowls leak?
Run out, dribble, ?
How did you check fuel level? Measure floats or use clear tube method?

I would hook a clear tube to bottom of offending carb and hold it against side of carb body. If brass tube is cracked it will only leak to proper float level. If not correct it will go higher. I think I have this right. ;)
Wayne

More
04 Mar 2013 14:15 #575279 by symbolical
Lmao that's def. not what to do. I've got plenty of deer horns that he could put on the front of it!
I do not plan to cross breeding my bike it's going to have all Kawasaki for the most part and I do like the stock engine it's faster than what I had expected so it's not going anywhere! And thank you for your support... and all of you too

650ed wrote: Welcome aboard. I'm glad to see you are smart enough to start you project using a rather whipped KZ650-C1 as the foundation; you are correct - restoring it to original condition would be difficult and expensive. Your approach makes way more sense to me than some others I've seen who start with a bike that is all original (paint and all) and hack it to pieces before (apparently) abandoning their project.

Case in point - the bike pictured below was (except the exhaust) all original and in excellent condition when this project started. The builder changed everything, including putting in a Suzuki? engine. There are no pictures of a finished product (the bike in the picture is not in running condition), so it's hard to tell whether the owner gave up or is still working on it. In either case he could have started with a bare frame rather than a nice original bike, and a Suzuki frame would have been a better fit for the engine. He replaced everything on the bike anyway expect the tank which he dented in and sanded off the original paint.

Good luck with your project, there are lots of folks here who can provide support. Oh, and stick with the KZ engine, they are rock solid. Ed

Attachment 00000_2013-03-04.jpg not found

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
04 Mar 2013 19:46 #575322 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic 1977 kz650 C1 streetfighter
streetfighter? does it have a rebuilt title or something?

More
05 Mar 2013 09:31 #575420 by symbolical
No rebuilt title, it appears that it went thru a ditch and several drops nothing seriously damaged.
Well for the street fighter part I will be doing a steering stem swap for inverted forks and a mono rear 140 front tire and maybe 160 rear. At the cycles-r-us they have an 1989 Kawasaki ninja perhaps. Well what I am looking to take from it is the whole rear assembly and wheels. this years plan is ride it find and buy parts and a little secrets with only in time will tell.

More
05 Mar 2013 23:35 #575550 by symbolical
I do have a pics and better yet a video too. Really I don't know how to post them correctly? Call me novice for the computer skills.
I do have photobucket if that helps.

More
06 Mar 2013 10:43 #575611 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic 1977 kz650 C1 streetfighter
patton has a photo posting link in his signature line.click it and it tells how to post pics.

hth,
leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: symbolical