Battery box mock up

• wireman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
03 Dec 2012 04:30 #561123 by wireman
Battery box mock up was created by wireman
Got bored and decided to get a pattern made to make a new piece to replace the cheesey plasic inner rear fender between rear wheel and battery box.
Well once I got the pattern made for it and the panel behind the carbs I decided I should go ahead and get some Ideas for a new battery box to make room to clean up the area under seat to make room for some other stuff I don't want people to see. :evil:
Since this bike will eventually become a rolling billboard with a big bore turbo motor I might as well go ahead and figure out how to stuff the coils under the seat since Ive always wanted to do that and while Im under there I could figure out how to also stuff a nitrous bottle and an air shifter bottle in there also along with a fuel regulator and other odds/ends.
I didn't feel like digging through boxes tonight to find the bottles and an extra set of coils so I improvised!
The empty pepsi cans taped to the frame tubes under seat gave me an idea on the diameter of the coils,a soup can makes a good imaginary air shifter tank and I figured a roll of toilet paper was fitting for mocking up a nitrous/oh crap bottle! :woohoo:
Theres plenty of room on the new front panel for fuel regulator and nitrous solinoids and the electrical stuff can be mounted above/behind where the battery box will go on the new inner fender.
I made a pattern for the inner fender from 26g tin to work the bugs out of the design ,hopefully Ill have time to build the new one from some 14g one day this week so I can weld it in and start making the battery box and other brackets to make everything else fit.

Attachment Photo968.jpg not found

Attachment tn.jpg not found

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
03 Dec 2012 04:39 #561124 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic Battery box mock up
lookin good, cant wait to see the metal peices made up.

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

• wireman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Dec 2012 04:45 #561125 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Battery box mock up

Attachment Photo970.jpg not found

Attachment Photo971.jpg not found

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

More
03 Dec 2012 08:57 #561132 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Battery box mock up
Will the RED tape be included in the e-bay kit...? :whistle:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
03 Dec 2012 10:04 - 03 Dec 2012 10:05 #561136 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Battery box mock up
i love the idea of a new inner fender. do u think it would be better in aluminium. i would rather take wieght off than add it. r u doing more than 1?
Nice to see u at work again.
i havent seen u type this many word in 1 post in a loooong time. :P

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 03 Dec 2012 10:05 by mark1122.

• wireman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Dec 2012 13:23 #561160 by wireman

mark1122 wrote: i love the idea of a new inner fender. do u think it would be better in aluminium. i would rather take wieght off than add it. r u doing more than 1?
Nice to see u at work again.
i havent seen u type this many word in 1 post in a loooong time. :P

I was wired on pepsi from emptying all those cans for mock up material! :sick: :woohoo:
Im making it out of 14g when I make the final part so it can be welded in to help tie that part of frame together clear to rear fender.
Ill add a little bit of a cross break(Big X )on the flat areas to help stiffen it up even more before welding it all in ,Im also going to take 2 stock kz/z1 steel fenders and cut them up and reweld them to make a steel rear fender wide enough for a 150-170 rear tire to tuck up inside and then have it replated.
I need to start reading up on fuel injection for dummies,I still want to figure out how to put electronic fuel injection on a turbo bike using a gutted out 42 flatslide as a throttle body so it looks like an old dinosaur with a carb on it still ;)
Never enough hrs in the day! :woohoo:

• wireman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Dec 2012 13:26 #561161 by wireman

Old Man Rock wrote: Will the RED tape be included in the e-bay kit...? :whistle:

I didn't want to waste my good super 33" tape for temporary stuff! :woohoo:
Its a lot easier to pull off pieces of tape to relocate/modify parts then to grind off a bunch of Purdy tig welds! :laugh:

• wagonmaster69
  • User
  • 78 KZ1000A2 / 82 KZ1100 Spectre
More
03 Dec 2012 22:05 #561215 by wagonmaster69
Replied by wagonmaster69 on topic Battery box mock up
If you want to hide the coils why don't you try stick coils like on newer bikes.
Just putting it out their.
Going to do it on my 92 ZX11 and maybe my 82 KZ1100 Spectre.

78 KZ1000 work in progress in Hacienda Heights California and a 82 KZ1100 Spectra And a 1992 ZX11.

• wireman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Dec 2012 22:24 #561222 by wireman
The main reason I want to put them under there is to get them away from all that engine heat trapped under gas tank,Im still thinking about mounting one of my old Hahn belt drive magnetos on there since they just look so cool on a turbo motor.
But Ill hide a dyna ignition in behind the bottem cover for the actual ignition and run the actual wires from the coils under seat up under tank to the plugs making it look like theyre coming from the magneto. B)
My mind changes by the minute of course! :woohoo: