Different Pipe Wrap

More
25 Aug 2012 12:00 #544687 by time440
Different Pipe Wrap was created by time440
New member here. Thought some might be interested in the slightly different approach I took on wrapping my pipes. I'll get some better pictures in the future, as this was an early attempt and the re-wrap is much cleaner. It's called a harlequin wrap.

Attachment WrapDetail.JPG not found

1980 KZ440B
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
25 Aug 2012 12:03 #544689 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Different Pipe Wrap
Wrapping pipes is supposed to help keep heat in the pipes for a little more power,but at same time it traps moisture rusting out pipes faster B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
25 Aug 2012 12:09 #544692 by time440
Replied by time440 on topic Different Pipe Wrap
Yeah, I can't imagine that I'll really notice a power boost from it, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised!

As for the pipes rusting out, I've heard that, and tried to take as many precautions as possible. I first thoroughly cleaned the pipes and tried to remove any traces of corrosion. Then I put a couple coats of high-temp paint on the pipes to provide another barrier. Then I wrapped them.

I also plan on using the high-temp silicon paint over the wrap to help seal it further, but that's a project for another day. Hopefully all that work will save me a major headache later? :dry:

1980 KZ440B

• wireman
  • User
More
25 Aug 2012 12:13 #544694 by wireman
I wouldnt paint the wrap itself with anything,that would just trap more moisture in there B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
25 Aug 2012 12:23 #544696 by time440
Replied by time440 on topic Different Pipe Wrap
That makes sense to me, though I was going by the manufacturer's directions... I would probably need multiple cans before I'd really believe that I fully sealed it though.

1980 KZ440B

• wireman
  • User
More
25 Aug 2012 12:28 #544700 by wireman
Im guessing theyre suggesting it to protect the wrap itself,not the pipe under it.
Maybe check with somebody who races stock cars or 1 of their websites,I think theyre the ones who really started the craze with wrapping header tubes way back when B)