1976 kz400 restoration

• zonelson
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Live well, this dream is short
More
07 Aug 2012 20:30 #541254 by zonelson
1976 kz400 restoration was created by zonelson
I recently started working on my grandfather's 76 kz400 as a memorial to him. It seems to be in pretty decent shape and he took pretty good care of it. It's been stored in garages since the 80's though and won't start as is. I don't have much mechanical experience and mostly know just the basic guidelines of what makes a bike work. About six years back I bought a new battery and plugs for it, but the battery doesn't work now. I'm assuming I have to charge it and hopefully it will still be good as there still is fluid in it. The tank had some surface rust with just a little bit of flaking so I removed it and the petcock and used the Por-15 motorcycle repair kit on it. The tank has to sit for 4 days so it should be good to go by saturday morning.

Attachment IMG_0882.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_0884.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_0885.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_0886.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_0887.JPG not found

I know that the next thing I want to do is check the carbs to see if they are clean. I think I remember my grandpa saying that he drained the lines and the gas from it so hopefully they should be clean already. Any advice on how to go about checking if the carbs need cleaned?

The rubber engine duct intake and air cleaner ducts have all dry rotted and cracked. anyone know where I can get replacements? checked kawasakipartshouse.com but they dont carry the hoses.

If anyone has any ideas on what steps to take next please feel free to share them. I am a total rookie and using this bike as my way to learn about mechanics.

thanks in advance everyone.

"Good timber does not grow with ease,
the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees"

--Z--
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2012 22:25 #541280 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic 1976 kz400 restoration
Good start by lining the tank.
Looks to be done well. I'd let it sit longer if at all possable.
Try the battery, but it is probably gone.

www.z1enterprises.com/ should have the parts you need, or if not can send you in the right dirrection.

I'm not familiar with the kz400s.
Post up some full pictures of her here.
You could pull off the bowls to see how dirty it is in there.
Read through a manual to familiarize yourself with the parts and how they come apart.

There is a website for the kz400:
www.kz400.com/
Check that out too.

And check out www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
07 Aug 2012 22:28 #541284 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 1976 kz400 restoration
Thats really cool to have your Grandpas bike! :)
Doubt the Battery will work for you, you'll need another, they hate sitting for years.
If the Carb to Air Box Boots and the Manifolds are dry rotted, you may find the Diaphragms for the slide valves also are rotted.
They used some different stuff in 76 for the KZ400, so the Model is needed to try and find parts correctly.
there is a smaller twin forum at www.armbell.com/kz400/index.php?mforum=kz400
they may have some source for the hard to find NLA parts.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...