1983 KZ750 Aftermarket parts

More
05 Aug 2012 05:54 #540811 by Salder69
1983 KZ750 Aftermarket parts was created by Salder69
Long story short, I was dying for a bike. The thing is, I also was dying for a PROJECT.
So after months of lurking on local classifieds, I found a 1983 KZ750 K1 LTD for 300.

Knowing even for an old bike, $300 is still $300, I went and visually inspected the bike and questioned the guy about the bikes history.

He rarely rode it, but the tags expired april 2012 so someone was riding recently (or paying for tags for no reason)

The original owner rode it too and from work apparently.

It didn't start when I was there, but I figured it was because it was improperly stored.

The guy was really cool and being an honest person, I got an honest vibe from him. He said it ran before he put it up, and he just needed the money bad and wanted to get rid of it.

So I bought it, and spent a weekend asses and elbows on it, cleaning/fixing all I can.

After I checked everything over a few times, cleaned the carbs, cleaned the gas tank (there was a lot of rust and I used an awesome method to clean it, ask me if you want!) and replaced all the fuel lines, new battery, checked the electrical, etch and tried to start it.

No spark.

So far I've been in a few forums and what not, and there is this one guy MFolks who has given me incredible support, but what I am looking at is first getting it started and test driving it.

Well, I work 5 days on, 5 days off, and when I have my next span of off days I plan on working on it pretty much obsessively until i get it started.

I need to run some voltage tests and some other tests, but what I'm having the most trouble with, is that if/when I find out what is failing, where can I find aftermarket parts that are compatible.

z1enterprises has been suggested, but I'm concerned about things fitting correctly.

I really want to take the fairing off and put either a stock or aftermarket headlight on it.

The spedo and tach gauges are in rough shape and I would like to replace those too.

Any resources would be great

Pics of the bike are here. imgur.com/a/2KyJL

Also, I have a design for the tank when I get it painted, but what base color do you think would look best?

Thanks and Enjoy Your Ride!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
05 Aug 2012 06:04 #540813 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 1983 KZ750 Aftermarket parts
Do you have a shop manual for it?
Id start with wiring diagram and start testing things from there B)
Welcome to z-jungle

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
05 Aug 2012 06:34 #540817 by Salder69
Replied by Salder69 on topic 1983 KZ750 Aftermarket parts

wireman wrote: Do you have a shop manual for it?
Id start with wiring diagram and start testing things from there B)
Welcome to z-jungle

no, i don't :(

man, i really have my work cut out for me i guess

and thanks for the welcome

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
05 Aug 2012 06:43 #540818 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 1983 KZ750 Aftermarket parts
Its not a big deal,pm OMR he knows where all the wiring diagrams are stored on here B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
05 Aug 2012 13:33 #540843 by Calico
Replied by Calico on topic 1983 KZ750 Aftermarket parts
oldbikebarn.com

jpcycles.com

www.motosport.com/motorcycle/

www.partsnmore.com/

So I'll ask, what was the cool method for removing rust?

81' KZ750LTD 4 CYL
82' KZ750LTD 4 CYL

More
06 Aug 2012 05:50 #540946 by Salder69
Replied by Salder69 on topic 1983 KZ750 Aftermarket parts

Calico wrote: So I'll ask, what was the cool method for removing rust?

I emptied the tank, put a bag of aquarium gravel in it, taped off where the petcock and cap go, wrapped it in a blanket (a quilt really) and loosly taped it up. Then I put a few pillows/towels in the dryer, then put it in, then filled the empty spaces with more towels/pillows and ran it on NO HEAT over and over and over.

It is like a makeshift rock tumbler. When I first saw this video
i could tell right away it was one of those ideas that is so stupid sounding, it had to work, because even crazy people can't think of something that ridiculous that works good.

Thanks for the links