my latest kz project

More
24 Jul 2012 17:47 - 24 Jul 2012 17:57 #538301 by damarble
Replied by damarble on topic my latest kz project
Sure it must change the loading, but once you've added something like raked triples you've thrown out any known design limits anyway.

Here's the Yamaha XZ550 with trailing axle. It does look a little odd but supposedly handles amazingly.

Go green, buy a Kawasaki!

82 KZ750M CSR Build Thread

89 ZX600C Streetfighter
Last edit: 24 Jul 2012 17:57 by damarble.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
24 Jul 2012 17:58 #538305 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic my latest kz project

les holt wrote: This is what I ride.

5 deg of chassis rake, 1.024 offset trees, 5.2" of trail. 62 1/2" wheel base
it's a little lazy getting in a corner but very stable at big speed.

Les

Attachment imagesCAF0VG8S.jpg not found

Hey maaan,check out de paint!
Reminds me of my buddy jacks 69 torino he had in high school ,looked cool as hell but the motor was really tired.
Old worn out 351 withy 3spd manual trans. :blink:
When we'd go out cruising the street racing areas around omaha wed get it rolling in 1st gear then dump it into 3rd gear so it would sound like it had a really healthy cam in it and just cruise past everybody trying to look cool! :woohoo:
Luckily nobody ever called our bluff or a chevy chevette with a "good tune up" wouldve smoked us! :sick: :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

More
24 Jul 2012 17:58 #538306 by damarble
Replied by damarble on topic my latest kz project
Les, I don't think it's possible for you to post too many pics of that work of art.

Go green, buy a Kawasaki!

82 KZ750M CSR Build Thread

89 ZX600C Streetfighter

• wireman
  • User
More
24 Jul 2012 17:59 #538307 by wireman

damarble wrote: Sure it must change the loading, but once you've added something like raked triples you've thrown out any known design limits anyway.

Here's the Yamaha XZ550 with trailing axle. It does look a little odd but supposedly handles amazingly.

Imagine the forces on that front end under really hard braking B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
More
24 Jul 2012 18:01 #538308 by wireman
Les have you figured out a price on making one of those swingarms? B)

More
24 Jul 2012 18:17 #538313 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic my latest kz project
Not a hijack Mike but to answer a question!
$800, you get the arm complete, ZX10 linkage modified to fit chassis, upper mounts for the shock, 13" brake arm with heim joints and hollow 4130 axle to fit your setup plus hardware for the shock linkage. It's designed around the ZX6 shock which is easily available and the later versions have more adjustments which make them quite a bit better in my opinion.

Les
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
24 Jul 2012 18:51 #538322 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic my latest kz project
Am I the only one who read that to himself with a Cheech accent :silly:
Hey maaan,check out de paint!
Reminds me of my buddy jacks 69 torino he had in high school ,looked cool as hell but the motor was really tired.
Old worn out 351 withy 3spd manual trans. :blink:
When we'd go out cruising the street racing areas around omaha wed get it rolling in 1st gear then dump it into 3rd gear so it would sound like it had a really healthy cam in it and just cruise past everybody trying to look cool! :woohoo:
Luckily nobody ever called our bluff or a chevy chevette with a "good tune up" wouldve smoked us! :sick: :woohoo:[/quote]

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

More
24 Jul 2012 20:13 #538341 by les holt

damarble wrote: Les, I don't think it's possible for you to post too many pics of that work of art.

Thanks! I've been told it's a trailer queen, guys, it's not! I ride this thing hard almost every day. It's my test platform for the single shock design. I just recently put passenger pegs on it only because she finally agreed to ride. With a little tuning on the shock it handles it very well which even surprised me, I was confident it would work well, just didn't know how well! I welcome anyone to come and take it for a ride, bring your ride and we'll swap, passengers included, I love feedback, just makes for a better product.

Les

• kawasaki mike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • kawasaki mike
More
24 Jul 2012 20:34 #538348 by kawasaki mike
Replied by kawasaki mike on topic my latest kz project
Fine looking bike Les. I also have a wheel base of 62 1/2 inch. It is actually very stable up to 130. Havent pushed it past that, no need, I am 65. The only thing is it feels like you could wash out the front end if you got to hot in a corner. It is definately a leaner, not a turner if you get my description. Did you have to tune out the of idle flat spot on those 33's. Do you want to swap a corbin gunfighter for that lady gunfighter? I dont know if that is what it is but its a fine looking seat as is the complete bike.Have you ever tried a Z1 tank on her? Not knocking your bike in any way, I am just in favor of Z1 versus LTD. Again, fine bike Les!

Am addicted to Z1's and kz 900's have an el camino, fly rc helicoptors and am strung out on horsepower.

More
24 Jul 2012 20:57 #538351 by les holt
It's not a corbin seat, it's a Z1E seat for a Z1900, I know what your saying about the tank, Ram is doing a new set of bodywork for me in the original style scheme just for this bike. As for the 33's, .6 air bleeds, I have 122.5 idle jets in it now but they are a tic too rich, going down to 120's when I can leave it parked! mains at 120. Motor is 1075 10.5-1 with a andrews 3X exhaust and a big lift, short duration intake :whistle: It works. B) The bike is a dream to ride except it's a little grouchy down low but I have learned to adapt.
So you know! I never meant to bad mouth you bike, it's a beauty to marvel at. I just don't want anybody to assume beauty means well handling. I realize your aware of its handling characteristics which is something most that ride these old bikes aren't. I pride myself in knowing what it takes to make these old girls a good/safe ride and I meant no offence! :unsure:

Les

More
25 Jul 2012 09:30 #538473 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic my latest kz project

kawasaki mike wrote: I also have a wheel base of 62 1/2 inch.

I think this era bikes look better the way you did yours. I'm not a fan of riding in one town and my back wheel is in another town.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• kawasaki mike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • kawasaki mike
More
15 Aug 2012 23:51 #542861 by kawasaki mike
Replied by kawasaki mike on topic my latest kz project

Attachment craigs053.JPG not found

Attachment craigs051.JPG not found

Sorry about the delay in responding to you. The frame head has not been raked at all. Wasn't sure if I would like the stretch so I did it with the trees. I live and the bike is stable to boot. Always wanted thge low long look and still be able to go around corners and this set up does it both. Only possible though with the Marving pipe. A 4 into 1 is a must on the big kawis. Nothing has that sound but the z1 and KZ. My bars are one inch harley as is the headlight. It is a fun little cruiser with style and class. Nobody has this era kawasaki's that you see on the street anymore. Stay in the wind.

Am addicted to Z1's and kz 900's have an el camino, fly rc helicoptors and am strung out on horsepower.
Attachments: