Help with KZ900

More
27 Jun 2012 01:59 - 27 Jun 2012 02:21 #532041 by sled
Help with KZ900 was created by sled

Attachment KZ900blue.jpg not found

I have been reading the forum for a while now and have learnt alot about the Zed thanks. I purchased a KZ900 (USA model) in Jan this year. I have slowly been cleaning it up and going over it. Currently panels body work off getting painted diamond green.

The bottom picture is the bike i purchased. The top one is what i am aiming for or similar

I dont want to say how much i bought it for in Australia would make you guys cringe over there in the states. Certainly makes me cringe everytime i see how cheap you get them for.

Anyway i need some help, i am new to KZs am 35yo so need your pearls of wisdom! the top picture is the look im after but need some guidance on how to get there. Will start with the front Suspension/setup.

Can anyone tell me what type of forks these are. I thought they might be the KZ turned around, but don't think this is possible.
Whats the largest tyre that can fit under the front guard? what diameter rim 2.5"?
In regards to disks i like the single disk look, i saw PMC have large rotors on their site so would be a matter of making up caliper brakets.

Thanks
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Jun 2012 02:21 by sled. Reason: Pictures

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2012 06:03 #532047 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic Help with KZ900
those are 900 forks, just switch the lowers to other side and turn them around. I think the largest front tire is 100, 110 would rub the fender. and yes you can make a bracket for the brake.

More
27 Jun 2012 06:10 #532048 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic Help with KZ900
they could be any front forks form 76-80 from the look of the front master cylinder he has on there. just have to switch them around.

More
27 Jun 2012 08:10 #532056 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic Help with KZ900
That fork looks like it comes of a Z650B1, but turned around. There is a lower fork bracket meant for the fender stay that I do not think is there on the 900.

If you really want to upgrade your front end, find one from a late version ZR1100 Zephyr with spoked 18in wheel. The 750 Zephyr used 17in front wheels if you prefer that.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
27 Jun 2012 08:13 #532058 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Help with KZ900

faffi wrote: That fork looks like it comes of a Z650B1, but turned around. There is a lower fork bracket meant for the fender stay that I do not think is there on the 900.

If you really want to upgrade your front end, find one from a late version ZR1100 Zephyr with spoked 18in wheel. The 750 Zephyr used 17in front wheels if you prefer that.

Same lower legs were used on several models 650/750/900/1000 B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
27 Jun 2012 08:30 #532059 by faffi
Thanks, wireman, learn something every day. I looked at some pictures of Z1s but found none with the extra bracket. Must search more next time ;)

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

• wireman
  • User
More
27 Jun 2012 11:26 #532081 by wireman
Z1s didnt use same forks,its the kz 900s that used the same as other kz bikes. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
27 Jun 2012 11:31 #532084 by jeffasaki
Replied by jeffasaki on topic Help with KZ900
Pretty sure the front brake is a old Grimeca setup

78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

More
28 Jun 2012 07:34 #532315 by sled
Replied by sled on topic Help with KZ900
This is great forum thanks for the replies ;)

I sat in the garage looking at the KZ forks for a good half hour thinking shit they look the same as the KZ1000s just turned around. thanks for clearing that up wireman

faffi never looked into the zephyr not sure how popular they are over here will do some research on the forum.

so what about the disks what options do i have, can i use the same hub? i saw PMC have options but not ready to sell a kidney yet! any one done large single setup?

• wireman
  • User
More
28 Jun 2012 08:17 #532319 by wireman

Attachment user_12041_sastavljanje_181.jpg not found

heres a europeon (spell check) version of a 76 kz900 I believe from the kz900 gallery,notice the fork legs with calipers in front.
If you spin those legs to put calipers in rear the fender strut brackets will be in same place in front of legs. :)

Attachments:

More
28 Jun 2012 08:21 #532324 by faffi
There are several ways to make a project bike, from very low cost to very high cost. If you want to keep cost low, consider using as much stock parts as possible and modify where needed.

You may be lucky and find wheel rims at a breaker that are wider than you stock ones for cheap - just remember to count the number of spokes! Or you can pay for spankers, complete wheels which will be lighter and cost plenty more.

You can reduce the thickness of your stock front disc by one mm very safely and then proceed to drill lots and lots of tiny holes in it. Will make it lighter, less prone to scoring and also trick looking. Costly alternative is to buy a high-priced disc which will be lighter.

The stock caliper will do and will proved acceptable stopping power together with new pads and a braided hose. A 6-pot will be lighter and offer more power, but will add cost plus you'll need an adapter for the fork and whatever disc you're running - and the disc must be thin.

The stock fork can be made better by drilling out the compression damper holes to 1/4in (6mm) and use from 20W (comfort) to 30W (for high speed charging) fork oil. The level will vary the spring rate; if you upp the level by 10 mm it will dive less under braking, 20 mm even less and so on until it is solid and of no use ;) Otherwise, buy something like an USD fork or whatever you can afford. Will be more rigid, but then you must upgrade your frame plus custom-make a triple tree to fit it to your steering stem.

You can live with the stock swingarm or you can easily fit an alloy one from a 1980-81 Suzuki GSX1100E. It is lighter, stiffer and looks more racy. Neither is very costly. Coverting to a modern mono-shock and big swingarm will again increase loads on chassis and require strengtening plus plenty of machine and weld work to fit.

A pair of locally made Ikon shock absorbers will enhance handling in a cost effective manner. Ohlins are just a little bit better for a lot less money, but do look butch. Or go monoshock as above for even more elaborate results.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
29 Jun 2012 00:55 #532524 by sled
Replied by sled on topic Help with KZ900
thanks faffi

I am happy to keep the orginal forks, change springs some emulators, fork brace PMC caps thats about it. Shouldn't be too hard or expensive to fit modern rotors (i upgraded my RZ350 with some 4 pots recently) just adaptors and some second hand calipers or one in this case.

I really want to know what people do to get the bigger disk is it a case of new hubs rims etc or are their adaptors, can existing brake housing be machined to adopt something modern? i dont know :(

I haven't been thinking much about the rear, wont go mono shock probably ikon dampers, probably powdercoated JMC. I would like to keep the rear drum but use 160 tires havent asked the possibility question yet? i know it will require rims and modification of the brake drum steady and push rod.

Any help with front disks?

thanks guys