New Project, 76' KZ900. I like the hard road...

• CaptianSaveAHo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jun 2012 03:47 - 23 Jun 2012 03:48 #531175 by CaptianSaveAHo
New Project, 76' KZ900. I like the hard road... was created by CaptianSaveAHo
Hello everyone, my first addition to this forum is my new acquisition- a 1976 KZ900.

The Story:
I picked this bike up for $500 from a friend of mine that was tired of not doing anything with it (I always got on him about how he never touched it). Anyway, the bike came with an aftermarket longer swing arm, weisco big bore kit (no idea how big), brand new front and rear tires, an old rim and tire, two wheels on the bike with tires (shot), for some reason an extra triple tree and....an extra frame. Yep, the original title for this bike had "disappeared" so my buddy found a frame that had a title. Both bike and frame with parts have been barned for at least a year and a half. I think I did pretty well for the first "super bike" really ever. My last project was a 74 CB360T that I kept pretty stock except for handlebars, air cleaners and exhaust. This project scares the crap out of me since my pal couldn't get it all set up. But, I've seen what some hard work with a polishing wheel and some compound can do...

Attachment 900ontrailer.jpg not found

Attachment 900ontrailer2.jpg not found

The Plan.
Well, don't know the colors yet, but the previous owner had already painted the second frame a pretty nice red,

Attachment 900redframe.jpg not found

and the swing arm is aluminum. So far I have red frame, silver swing arm, a black and chrome engine and the tank has been sanded to a flat black and bondo'd. I really wanted to go cafe style with a modern kick on this bike: cut down the seat cafe flat, but allow it to be changed if the wife wanted to ride with, chop signals, and modify into led, I also have a plan to replace all the "dashboard" lights with an led bank of lights. Some nice stacks instead of filters could look sweet, if I can afford them. I may dent the tank if I can find a possible replacement when-not-if I screw up. The wiring is the scariest thing on this bike since I'm changing some components. That's when you guys come in.

I plan to sell the big bore kit, If anyone is interested- gimme an offer. I'll post it someday up for sale. Jumping from a 360 to a 900... lets just say that I respect the capabilities of the 900 engine. That'll help fund the project when it goes. Anyway, I'll continue to post pics and whatnot as I embark on this escapade. I thank all of you for your help in advance.

Captain

1974 CB360
1976 KZ900
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Jun 2012 03:48 by CaptianSaveAHo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2012 04:28 #531176 by goodfastncheap
Replied by goodfastncheap on topic New Project, 76' KZ900. I like the hard road...
Uh Oh...here it comes again...best of luck to ya with your "project". I especially like the "cafe style" slant and the fact that you "respect the capabilities of the 900 engine".

OFF TOPIC

i FOUND a FT500 today with real oil leaks! Not telling where!

1979 KZ650 B3
KZ Relay Rider #54, Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
23 Jun 2012 08:06 #531188 by wireman
Welcome to z-jungle! B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.