New Project, 76' KZ900. I like the hard road...

• CaptianSaveAHo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jun 2012 03:45 #531174 by CaptianSaveAHo
New Project, 76' KZ900. I like the hard road... was created by CaptianSaveAHo
Hello everyone, my first addition to this forum is my new acquisition- a 1976 KZ900.

The Story:
I picked this bike up for $500 from a friend of mine that was tired of not doing anything with it (I always got on him about how he never touched it). Anyway, the bike came with an aftermarket longer swing arm, weisco big bore kit (no idea how big), brand new front and rear tires, an old rim and tire, two wheels on the bike with tires (shot), for some reason an extra triple tree and....an extra frame. Yep, the original title for this bike had "disappeared" so my buddy found a frame that had a title. Both bike and frame with parts have been barned for at least a year and a half. I think I did pretty well for the first "super bike" really ever. My last project was a 74 CB360T that I kept pretty stock except for handlebars, air cleaners and exhaust. This project scares the crap out of me since my pal couldn't get it all set up. But, I've seen what some hard work with a polishing wheel and some compound can do...

The Plan.
Well, don't know the colors yet, but the previous owner had already painted the second frame a pretty nice red,

Attachment 900redframe.jpg not found

and the swing arm is aluminum. So far I have red frame, silver swing arm, a black and chrome engine and the tank has been sanded to a flat black and bondo'd. I really wanted to go cafe style with a modern kick on this bike: cut down the seat cafe flat, but allow it to be changed if the wife wanted to ride with, chop signals, and modify into led, I also have a plan to replace all the "dashboard" lights with an led bank of lights. Some nice stacks instead of filters could look sweet, if I can afford them. I may dent the tank if I can find a possible replacement when-not-if I screw up. The wiring is the scariest thing on this bike since I'm changing some components. That's when you guys come in.

I plan to sell the big bore kit, If anyone is interested- gimme an offer. I'll post it someday up for sale. Jumping from a 360 to a 900... lets just say that I respect the capabilities of the 900 engine. That'll help fund the project when it goes. Anyway, I'll continue to post pics and whatnot as I embark on this escapade. I thank all of you for your help in advance.

Captain

1974 CB360
1976 KZ900
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2012 14:37 #531256 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic New Project, 76' KZ900. I like the hard road...
First thing I would do is take the frame in for black powdercoat. I'm not a fan of color on the frame. Then get some tapered steering bearings and put the front end on and new swingarm bearings put the rear end on. Youcould have a roller in less than a week and that should keep you motivated. And you can send pics to your buddy and rub his nose in it. :laugh:

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• CaptianSaveAHo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Jun 2012 03:37 #531379 by CaptianSaveAHo
Replied by CaptianSaveAHo on topic New Project, 76' KZ900. I like the hard road...
Good Morning...

Spent some time on the kz tonight. The first thing I did was get beer out.

Attachment beer.jpg not found

Then pull the tank off, and it rattled... not like rust or a nut or something. Come to find out that someone had made it their home while it was barned with no gas cap. Pretty sure I got it all out with the hose. Is there any suggestions on getting the inside of this tank sealed? Do I do it before or after I dent the tank? Not the cheapest way either...

Got the carbs out and the old air cleaners off. They look in good shape, but are dirty on the outside, an overhaul none the less will be required. Are there any suggestions for Velocity Stacks for my carbs, or should I wait till I figure out my exhaust? I think stainless steel lines are in the future as well.

Attachment carbs.jpg not found

I pulled off most of the right side foot controls and pegs except for the kick start. Any way someone would know the size of that allen bolt?

Oh yeah, I took a pic of the engine serial #. It's a z1 for sure but is it really a 76? Not so sure now.

Attachment serial2.jpg not found

I pulled the gauges off up front and worked out most of the wiring harness and where everything goes. (hence the blue tape) The lights for the dashboard really pissed me off. How do I get the front cover off to remove the bulbs? I ripped one right out of its socket through the back trying to pull one out.

Attachment Gauges.jpg not found

And last but not least. My friend put some bondo on the aluminum swing arm to smooth it all out for paint. Not MY First thought. Is bondo a good source for smoothing aluminum welds? That was his original plan, but it's chipping off in lots of places. Was it done poorly? Plus, I know painting aluminum is a bitch. I know it needs to be anodized.

Attachment bondodaluminum3.jpg not found

[attachment:8]C:\fakepath\bondo'd aluminum.jpg[/attachment]

Well thats it for now, thanks for all of the interest! I know there are sections in this forum for these questions, I would just like to have one one build where a new person can see everything I did, and why I chose that way.

Captain

1974 CB360
1976 KZ900
Attachments:

More
24 Jun 2012 03:55 #531380 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic New Project, 76' KZ900. I like the hard road...
pretty sure just unscrew the ignition switch nut and remove couple screws on the back the cover will come off

go easy on the spotted cow its a long ass drive to get another one! i'm down to my last 6

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...
The following user(s) said Thank You: CaptianSaveAHo

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
24 Jun 2012 04:45 #531385 by wireman
Strip that bondo off the aluminum and see whats under it B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
24 Jun 2012 08:26 #531399 by etbike3135
Replied by etbike3135 on topic New Project, 76' KZ900. I like the hard road...
This bike was at the guys place who is trying to sell the dragbike in Hoffman Estates?
I looked at that last fall, the only thing I saw that interested me was the LTD. These are worth $$$ stock. I would get the passenger footpeg brackets welded back on first thing.

1973 Kawasaki Z1
18 years in dragbikes

• CaptianSaveAHo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jun 2012 02:13 #531569 by CaptianSaveAHo
Replied by CaptianSaveAHo on topic New Project, 76' KZ900. I like the hard road...
Nope. This bike is local to our towns called the Quad Cities. Moline, Rock Island, Bettendorf, Davenport. I'm still not clear on the vin. Everywhere I go, it wants 17 numbers. This bike shows 9. Wtf?
Captain

1974 CB360
1976 KZ900

More
25 Jun 2012 07:12 #531581 by Patton
Per Zedder:

'76 KZ900-A4
Color(s) (1) Dia Dark Green (2) Dia Brown
Frame No. Range Japan MFR Z1F-085701 - 117060
USA MFR Z1F-500001 - 510340
Engine No. Range Z1E086001 - 138846

'77 KZ900-A5
Color(s) (1) Dia Dark Green (2) Dia Brown
Frame No. Range Z1F-510341 - 515578
Engine No. Range Z1E086001 - 138846

'76 KZ900-B1:LTD
Color(s) Classic Red
Frame No. Range KZ900B-500011 - 505514
Engine No. Range Z1E086001 - 117973

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• CaptianSaveAHo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Jun 2012 21:04 - 27 Jun 2012 21:08 #532205 by CaptianSaveAHo
So, I did some more ripping down yesterday into the morning. I'll post some pictures soon. There really isn't much left to pull off except the engine, trip tree, and swingarm. Got the bondo off the aluminum swingarm with some help from friends and sandpaper. The wiring harness still worries me. I found lots of cut wires, fried wires and re-wires. How hard is it to build a new wiring harness? I'm good with a soldering iron.

Might need a new front brake caliper... we'll see.

Do you guys have any suggestions on exhaust that would help me pull off the cafe look and sound I might be looking for? I need from headers to muff.

Thanks! Captain

1974 CB360
1976 KZ900
Last edit: 27 Jun 2012 21:08 by CaptianSaveAHo. Reason: thought of something else

• CaptianSaveAHo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 May 2013 13:53 - 08 May 2013 17:05 #586342 by CaptianSaveAHo
Hey! Well, it's now warmer, and I never really got to do much after I removed the engine from the first black frame. I wanted to make the engine look like it had been driven so much that the wind had taken off all the paint, distress it with a wire wheel, and put it in the new shiny red frame.

Attachment IMAG0544.jpg not found

That part finally got done the other day, I mocked it up, I'm pretty happy with the results! More when I get a chance!

Attachment IMAG0949.jpg not found

Attachment IMAG0945.jpg not found

1974 CB360
1976 KZ900
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 May 2013 17:05 by CaptianSaveAHo.

• CaptianSaveAHo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 May 2013 13:54 - 08 May 2013 18:15 #586343 by CaptianSaveAHo
How do you remove tapered bearing race from the triple tree? Without damaging it, of course. the original frame has tapered bearings, while the new red frame had original loose ball bearing races. I need to move from old to new without damaging. I can't seem to get in from the opposite side to punch them out, there's no lip to grab...

1974 CB360
1976 KZ900
Last edit: 08 May 2013 18:15 by CaptianSaveAHo.