My GT 750 cafe project

More
03 Jul 2013 12:43 #594873 by MagicFlea
Replied by MagicFlea on topic My GT 750 cafe project
Daventry.
It took me a wile to sort it out. First I was going through all these forums trying to find out the best combination, but nothing was working.
What I did and recommend is taking it to a dyno testing. I had silly pilot jets like 42.5 and the guy said you don't mess with mains. Basicly he did all these tests, vacuum, cylinder pressure, and found out that the people who rebuilt my engine got the cam timing off, so that was why the idle was a mess, and the ride as well.
He sort that out, put some K&N filters because the Chinese ones run either to rich or to lean, never correctly, put everything back to standard in terms of screw size and just went a bit high on main.
So main jet 140, pilot 32.5

After an outside winter my head gasket froze and now when I start the bike it is "coughing" from one of the cylinders.

Need to repair it, but haven't had the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daventry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2013 21:03 #594949 by daventry
Replied by daventry on topic My GT 750 cafe project
Thanks MagicFlea.

I'll have a little tinker around and it that doesn't work I'll just take it to the mechanic.

I keep hearing the Chinese air filters are rubbish, and you've confirmed that so I'll grab a set of K&Ns. Did you use extenders?

More
05 Jul 2013 06:55 #595120 by MagicFlea
Replied by MagicFlea on topic My GT 750 cafe project
I didn't because they would not fit the gap between the carbs and the frame if I did, but again, the best thing to do is try to ask someone that knows what they are doing.
The K&N I got where the oval ones, absolute brilliant.
But I do recommend you have a tinker about, I had loads of fun doing so, although my backyard smelled like gasoline all the time. But if you don't it's not your project anymore, you can't say "Yeah, I did that"
Where you from Dave if I may ask. I might be able to recommend you a place to go to do some custom stuff. The people that did my seat where great as well, they said it would cost me around 180 and in the end they did it for 98.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daventry

More
06 Jul 2013 02:05 #595258 by daventry
Replied by daventry on topic My GT 750 cafe project
Thanks MagicFlea.

I keep hearing about how fiddly carbs and jetting can be, but you're right – if I don't at least have a go then it's not a real project.

I'm going to grab a set of the 4 K&N ovals. I've attached an image of the pods I believe you're talking about. That's right, isn't it? Oval, 54mm with Chrome End caps.

I love what you've done with the seat. I've done a lot of research on creating custom seats. Dime City cycles have a good youtube video on creating a fibreglass mould from scratch. However, I'm leaning towards your method of reupholstering the original fitting. Less work means I'll have it on the road sooner.

As for my location, I'm in Sydney.
Attachments:

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
06 Jul 2013 16:43 #595303 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic My GT 750 cafe project

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
26 Sep 2013 18:43 #607921 by rhyso
Replied by rhyso on topic My GT 750 cafe project
Hey Magicflea,

I recently got myself a gt750 cafe racer and the slim old bit of foam for a seat has got me walking a bit rough after a decent ride. That and i'm keen to have some space on the back to strap some kit down.
I was hoping you could point me in the direction of the upholstery place you used in London (where I live) and maybe a brief rundown on how you went about starting the modification of the original seat yourself. Would be much appreciated as I'm keen to enjoy a few long rides before the weather really turns in on us.

Cheers.