Parts for new bike to Cafe

More
08 May 2012 06:59 #520653 by oatsdbl
Parts for new bike to Cafe was created by oatsdbl
Me and my brother just got new bikes and we want to start a Cafe project. I'm actually new rider and never work on a stock motorcycle before. Bought a 1981 kz250. Run perfectly- only need new brake line, brake lever, and carb cleaning.

So I know there'd be a lot of work to converse it into Cafe style in bumblebee color but I'm willing to do it because that style fits me better than others. Wonder if you guys know what's best place to start and which parts need to switching or cut or anything.

Here's photos.

What's ur opinion??
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Killman
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
More
08 May 2012 07:29 #520655 by Killman
Replied by Killman on topic Parts for new bike to Cafe
Some lower handlebars, (Euro bars, or clip ons?) and figure out a lower profile seat. Do yourself a favour and don't buy any new cables until you figure out your handlebars, you'll need shorter cables.

Looks like an Ltd, they're hard to do a cafe on, but if you start by lowering the profile, giving her a polish and whatever paint you've got your heart set on, you'll have something close.

Whatever you do, have fun with it, not a bad choice for a first bike.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack
The following user(s) said Thank You: oatsdbl

More
08 May 2012 11:45 #520701 by damarble
Replied by damarble on topic Parts for new bike to Cafe
What he said. Clipons or clubmans and a flat seat. Will look great.

Go green, buy a Kawasaki!

82 KZ750M CSR Build Thread

89 ZX600C Streetfighter

More
08 May 2012 12:29 #520706 by oatsdbl
Replied by oatsdbl on topic Parts for new bike to Cafe
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Killman wrote: Some lower handlebars, (Euro bars, or clip ons?)

I don't know about clip ons because what if... they clip off? Would be an epic fail xD haha. I've been looking around and found these:

So clubman? I'll poking around on my bike's cables to see how much shorter after I get a new handbars.

Killman wrote: figure out a lower profile seat

Have any idea how to figuring out that part? Would I need to disassemble everything and change its frame or something? Hey I found this potential seat on ebay:

Killman wrote: Whatever you do, have fun with it, not a bad choice for a first bike.

Thanks!! All of my friends told me that my first bike looks so badass, drooling over it lol. I ALMOST buy a 1982 kz750 Ltd but changed mind bec I think 750 is a bit too much for a beginner. Yes sir, I shall have fun with my bike B)

More
08 May 2012 12:31 #520707 by oatsdbl
Sounds perfect, damarble. Look at links in my last post, whattcha think?

More
08 May 2012 12:47 #520710 by damarble
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationWell clipons don't actually clip, they are bolted very securely. Clubmans are cheaper and easier to fit most of the time anyway. Either of those that you posted will do the job.

I'm not feeling that seat, but that's just me. I think the back is too long and tapered, something with a sharper cut off would fit the smaller bike better, like this:

or

Lots of options.

Actually not having bubble on the end would look good too, like:

89 ZX600C Streetfighter

More
08 May 2012 14:31 #520730 by oatsdbl
After having a second look, I agreed with you 100% damarble, that seat was... big and a little off. Also bolts on it is sorta Harvey style :sick: Lol.

Ooo, good eyes! I really like these links, I think would look very good on my bike. Especially second link. A question, suppose I pick that first link (16 inches wide seat) would I need to change whole back frame as well? Because comparing to my bike, the current seat is a little longer.

The picture is awesome! Ultimate epic lookin. Would fit my girlfriend on back I think haha.

More
08 May 2012 15:37 #520745 by damarble
I've never actually fit one of those type of seats so I'll defer fitment tips to those that have. There's plenty of options out there at least so it should be possible to find one that doesn't need too much modification.

89 ZX600C Streetfighter

More
08 May 2012 18:43 #520793 by Prophis
Replied by Prophis on topic Parts for new bike to Cafe
damarble thanks for the links! i dig the fiberglass one for sure