Kawa KZ 400; from custom to tracker?

More
01 Apr 2012 06:15 - 01 Apr 2012 06:17 #513327 by Kzile
Hello, Here is shortly (??) presented my KZ project. What we have in start, was kz400-d 1977 which had have sevaral owners before me. I buyed this bike my friend who discribed it saying "customized with bad taste" First pic before start.

its one ugly..
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Apr 2012 06:17 by Kzile. Reason: attachments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2012 06:42 #513328 by Kzile
Replied by Kzile on topic Kawa KZ 400; from custom to tracker?
In a test drive it was firing one cylinder and was running only with choke.
I open up carb cleaned them (twice), and only result was that it was running both cylinders (Yes!)but it would take any rpm. Conclusion, carbs were in rally bad shape, they are mix for two different KZ carbs and so on it's hard to defy what type repair kits are needed. Thats why I decided to go single carb conversion after reading topics on that.
New carb ( from snowmobile)

Attachment Iphonekuva01042012005.jpg not found

Attachment 14092011019.jpg not found

Here is some demolitio under way..

Attachment 29092011021.jpg not found

Mocup with "new" tank ( new tank was dirty that is was probably digged up from grainfields..)

old stuff removed

Attachment Iphonekuva01042012019.jpg not found

Few teesting with old and new tank and seat what I bought as used. actually I'm ot really happy with seat, but it will do. Steering is also updated

Attachment Iphonekuva01042012071.jpg not found

Attachment Iphonekuva01042012074.jpg not found

also "front set" for gear and bear has been ripped off. I found replacements from ebay.
Also some tet set for lowering the speedopmeters etc..

Attachment Iphonekuva01042012117.jpg not found

New carb kit

Attachment Iphonekuva01042012146.jpg not found

to be continued..
Attachments:

More
19 May 2012 16:30 #523395 by Kzile
Some difficulies with starting.. I did measured ingoing voltge from primary coil ( new emgo)and it was only 10,4 volts. I did the "coil mod" and voltge raised to 11,6. Carb what is now installed is from Yamaha SRX 700 and was missing main jet and idle jet. I ordered orginal Mikuni jets for TM33-8012<--- closest type what I found !Googled some sizes witch sizes are normally with TM33 and noticed that sizes are quite same as" single carb jet data dump " on anoher conversation. This mikuni is not included with accelerator pump and "normal" choke.
Any ideas for float level? :unsure:
Now carb is floodding immedeatly when opening gas valve.

Attachment mikuniinkz.JPG not found

Any ideas how to proceed?? I liked have bike running...
Attachments:

More
05 Jul 2012 15:55 #534050 by Kzile
Ok cause of poor starting etc.. I have rebuilt most of the harness. It´s a complination of normal kawa 400d wiring and mulligan machine site minimal wiring diagram.
Today bike actually started ( on a third kick.. miracle), it reved high ~4000 rpm in first run so some tuning on idle is needed or smaller jets. I didnt have second chance to adjust carb because when I started it again there was huge huge POW ! --> left sparkplug whent to orbital and plug thread is gone :-( . Next op is get new helicoild thread for left cylinder .