How much to invest?

More
23 Feb 2012 21:57 #506010 by jeffasaki
Replied by jeffasaki on topic How much to invest?
I look at some of my bikes with money in mind
I dont look at my KZs that way
I can sit in my garage listen to toons and just stare at my KZs And think to myself what a beauty
When I work on one I feel lucky to have the chance to do it ITS FUN
when we re all long gone these bikes will live on
these bikes are just now begining to be recognized for what they are
I think we are all lucky to have what we have
Call me crazy but I really do love my bike
if any body ever fucked with it there would be hell to pay
It gets rave reveiws whenever its ridden
I love the way kids hear it and wave like crazy
people say is that one of them new retro bikes?
My kids freinds all talk about it like im thor or something
its COOL
I get compliments from every rider out there even the harley guys
Show up at a car show and have a crowd around the bike
PLUS IT MAKES ME HAPPY WHEN I RIDE IT
these bikes are very soon gonna be worth some big coin so take care of what you have
personally I dont care about the coin
Just love riding and wrencking the thing
my 2 cents

78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2012 22:01 #506012 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic How much to invest?
I for one never thought of my 650 as an investment. I just enjoy working on it and riding it. There really is a WOW factor to these old bikes. Last year I totally stripped it down, painted the frame, and all the parts as I replaced them. Had the body work painted and redecaled. I would hate to total up what I put into it as far as money. I could probably have bought a new cookie cutter bike with it.
I got rid of the speedo and tach and put a Veypor gauge on it. I just ordered a Corbin seat for it the gunfighter and lady. I'll probably have to have new hookups installed on the frame for it but so be it. I got a Colortune, the spark plug with a sight glass so you see the flame in the cylinder that you watch as you adjust the carb until the flame turns to a bunson blue, and it runs like it never did before with my 1 carb on it.
The bike is just my toy, hobby and ride and I just made it the way I want it. As long as it doesn't cut into my living budget.
I rode my son's Volusha while I was working on it and I wasn't much impressed with it.
I still ride the KZ to Pa. from Maine and back every summer except for last year of course. And it just keeps rolling along.
I'm just going to keep enjoying it as long as I can.
Les

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
23 Feb 2012 23:35 #506039 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic How much to invest?

mtbspeedfreak wrote: I think it all depends upon who you are and what you like.

When I go out riding with my buddies (riding R6s and the like) I get far more compliments than they would ever imagine- they just don't get it. They didn't grow up when these bikes ruled the streets and track and have no appreciation for what they are and what they stand for. I still get major flack from them since they've found out how much I dropped for my Lester's and smoothbores.

People will roll down their windows at red lights and yell "nice bike dude! I used to ride one back in the day!" or they'll follow me into the grocery store just to strike up a conversation about my bike. I love the look of these Zs and KZs, therefore I want to make as many improvements as possible without detracting from its recognizable looks. No mono-shocks or USD forks for me - heck, I don't know if I'm ever going to ditch my rear drum brake!

Unlike most fair-weather riders who like to tell their buddies that they're living a motorcycle lifestyle, motorcycles ARE my life. I work so I can afford to but motorcycles and parts. I'm willing to drop a chunk of change on something that I view as special and unique related to these bikes. Yeah I can go out and buy a S1000RR or 1199S, but so can anyone else (you can probably get financing even if you can't really afford it), I like being different. Sheer performance wise, a new crotch rocket, even a 600, will usually beat a bored and ported KZ with $20k of Ohlins and Brembo slapped on it. I don't care, I don't race.

I'd rather buy a basketcase or a cheap running bike and turn it in to MY bike. If I spend $8k for MY bike, great, if I spend 4$k even better, that's two grand towards my next project. I don't build bikes with the intention of selling them.

Just my $0.02.

Hi Mark, I like your thought! Spot on! And , I like that avatar picture. Tell me about it, how fast were you going in to that turn? and who took it?
I have been trying to sell stuff that is started, projects with the hard stuff done. I hope the economy picks up and gives some people the balls to buy something. If people only knew what went in to some of these projects.
Good for you, keep your heart going, and build what you want and then enjoy it!
Money does not matter!
Nothing like it, when someone ogles your hard work and sweat equity. And you stand by and feel proud all by yourself, inside!
Been there and done that for 35 years!

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!