How much to invest?

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
22 Feb 2012 23:37 #505789 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic How much to invest?
Redline just sold a '77 KZ that was pretty much a stock build for $14,900. He also has another listed for $11,900. Both of them very nice builds. My brother (badkz77) for those familiar with that build has almost $20 large in his and still talks about selling it if the price was right. I stopped real close to $9,000 on my bike and know I probably couldn't get much more than $6k in a good market so I agree with Jeff, I've never made money on anything that I like to fuck with. :huh:

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2012 00:52 #505824 by polarbear
Replied by polarbear on topic How much to invest?

jeffasaki wrote: spend whatever you can afford
should it return your money?
has anything you like to fuck with ever done that?

:blink: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• supercharged
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Feb 2012 02:37 #505838 by supercharged
Replied by supercharged on topic How much to invest?
Good point about Redline... I think they grab the newbee back into the KZs. I was wanting one of there bikes a few years ago, then thought... why not do it and have fun.

Still interesting how they get that money for basic bikes..

Mike D
- 79 KZ1000 LTD Supercharged
- 80 KZ1000 1105cc Pridmore/Vetter tribute
- 79 Honda CBX
- 03 Z1000 Mod
- 80 KZ1000 LTD Modified
- 80 KZ1000 LTD PROJECT on Hold
- 78 KZ1000/900 - Street big block
- 78 KZ1000-NEEDS HELP!
- 80 CBX -Project STARTED
- 81 GPZ1100
- GSRX1200
- 80 CB750F supersport......

More
23 Feb 2012 03:06 #505843 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic How much to invest?
I think it all depends upon who you are and what you like.

When I go out riding with my buddies (riding R6s and the like) I get far more compliments than they would ever imagine- they just don't get it. They didn't grow up when these bikes ruled the streets and track and have no appreciation for what they are and what they stand for. I still get major flack from them since they've found out how much I dropped for my Lester's and smoothbores.

People will roll down their windows at red lights and yell "nice bike dude! I used to ride one back in the day!" or they'll follow me into the grocery store just to strike up a conversation about my bike. I love the look of these Zs and KZs, therefore I want to make as many improvements as possible without detracting from its recognizable looks. No mono-shocks or USD forks for me - heck, I don't know if I'm ever going to ditch my rear drum brake!

Unlike most fair-weather riders who like to tell their buddies that they're living a motorcycle lifestyle, motorcycles ARE my life. I work so I can afford to but motorcycles and parts. I'm willing to drop a chunk of change on something that I view as special and unique related to these bikes. Yeah I can go out and buy a S1000RR or 1199S, but so can anyone else (you can probably get financing even if you can't really afford it), I like being different. Sheer performance wise, a new crotch rocket, even a 600, will usually beat a bored and ported KZ with $20k of Ohlins and Brembo slapped on it. I don't care, I don't race.

I'd rather buy a basketcase or a cheap running bike and turn it in to MY bike. If I spend $8k for MY bike, great, if I spend 4$k even better, that's two grand towards my next project. I don't build bikes with the intention of selling them.

Just my $0.02.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
23 Feb 2012 11:25 #505892 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic How much to invest?
I don't dare keep track of the $$ I spend on my bike. My bike is stock, and it may come as a surprise to some folks, but keeping a stock bike in excellent condition is not inexpensive. Over the years I have built quite an inventory of NOS parts; some of which I may never use. I do keep track of the date I install parts and my bike's mileage, but never the cost. I just figure it might take some of the fun out of it. I consider it an investment that pays dividends in the enjoyment of riding a 35 year old bike that looks like it's fairly new. And I must admit, it is kinda cool to have folks compliment the bike. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• rslingshot
  • Banned
  • Because stock SUCKS!!!!!!
More
23 Feb 2012 20:51 #505994 by rslingshot
Replied by rslingshot on topic How much to invest?

mtbspeedfreak wrote: I think it all depends upon who you are and what you like.

When I go out riding with my buddies (riding R6s and the like) I get far more compliments than they would ever imagine- they just don't get it. They didn't grow up when these bikes ruled the streets and track and have no appreciation for what they are and what they stand for. I still get major flack from them since they've found out how much I dropped for my Lester's and smoothbores.

People will roll down their windows at red lights and yell "nice bike dude! I used to ride one back in the day!" or they'll follow me into the grocery store just to strike up a conversation about my bike. I love the look of these Zs and KZs, therefore I want to make as many improvements as possible without detracting from its recognizable looks. No mono-shocks or USD forks for me - heck, I don't know if I'm ever going to ditch my rear drum brake!

Unlike most fair-weather riders who like to tell their buddies that they're living a motorcycle lifestyle, motorcycles ARE my life. I work so I can afford to but motorcycles and parts. I'm willing to drop a chunk of change on something that I view as special and unique related to these bikes. Yeah I can go out and buy a S1000RR or 1199S, but so can anyone else (you can probably get financing even if you can't really afford it), I like being different. Sheer performance wise, a new crotch rocket, even a 600, will usually beat a bored and ported KZ with $20k of Ohlins and Brembo slapped on it. I don't care, I don't race.

I'd rather buy a basketcase or a cheap running bike and turn it in to MY bike. If I spend $8k for MY bike, great, if I spend 4$k even better, that's two grand towards my next project. I don't build bikes with the intention of selling them.

Just my $0.02.

X2 Bikes are a very big part of my life, I dont get to ride as much as I would like anymore but, bikes are still a part of my everyday life I make custom drag parts for all the nerwer bikes thats why I have an old kaw they have much more soul than the newer bikes. I can tell you that I have built several old kaws over the years and I have never thought about the money I spent doing so, You just cant get that bad ass sound out of the new bikes nothing sounds like an old kaw

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/390747-1977-kz1000-new-life
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2004 Gsx-r 750
78 kz1000 basket case
81 yamaha xs 650 basket case

More
23 Feb 2012 21:00 #505996 by etbike3135
Replied by etbike3135 on topic How much to invest?
Keep it as close to stock as posible for the largest payback when you want to sell it. Modified KZ's were great in the 80's but those days are long gone.

1973 Kawasaki Z1
18 years in dragbikes

More
23 Feb 2012 21:04 #505997 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic How much to invest?
I keep a mental tally on what I have in a bike but it's usually tied to the bigger purchases which isn't even close to an accurate total. I really don't care about the total as much as I probably should but I don't spend If I don't have it. I build to suit me. Like rslingshot said, "Nothing sounds like an old Kaw."

Les Holt

More
23 Feb 2012 21:28 #506001 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic How much to invest?
If you are looking at likely resale value, then Z1, H2, Z1R-TC, ELR, Z1R, Mk II - that's the order for typical worth - the Z1 can top $20k for a very nice example - the first year H2 and Z1R-TC are very close behind. Z1A/B models and later H2's follow. A nice ELR is going to fetch well over $10k. The Z1R and Mk II bikes are still typically under $10k, but can fetch good money. Other than the shaft bikes, the LTD models are the least desirable - the overseas collectors don't have any interest in them.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
23 Feb 2012 21:43 #506005 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic How much to invest?
Maybe someday they will attain the ultra-collectible status we think they deserve but until then I'm gonna wrench, ride, and spend money on it as I see fit just for the sheer pleasure of it.

So, how much to invest? Invest until it's no fun anymore. Then pass it on to the next guy...
:P

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
23 Feb 2012 21:45 #506007 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic How much to invest?
And to think I paid $250.00 FOR MY Z1 back in the early 80's. :P Although not pristine it is still a Z1. :evil: I probably spent 3 grand getting it road worthy after a 13 year hiatus. :( Of course it is still not done, it will never be done because when you finish one thing it is on to the next, even if it is many miles later. :ohmy: :ohmy:

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• supercharged
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Feb 2012 21:52 #506008 by supercharged
Replied by supercharged on topic How much to invest?
Well... it seems like nothing has changed, just build the bike "You" want and don't think of the dollars invested, then life will be good.

Be assured - most vehicles are not Investments that will grow in value, that is understood.

I have lots of these bikes, and I love the customs personally, since the stock bikes are very expensive to keep up. Something leaks or breaks... you better have OE parts on it and do it right. I have considered selling my stock bike, but that is probably the only one which will maintain its value.

BTW, this also dawned on me when talking to a car buff who is 70years old and is still building very expensive custom "bucket" cars ($1Mill in one car!!)... like the 1932 Ford buckets. It was clearer when I was the third party looking in.... The age group that likes those cars have more disposable income, but they are also older and dieing off... so who will want those cars in the future? I personally would prefer a muscle car for a hot rod.

With our bikes, as our generation gets older... we will stop riding much earlier then the car guys may stop driving, therefore our bikes will go out of fashion sooner...

Again, this doesn't matter for me, or most here, as we do it for love... love of our past, love of the KZ, love of the thrill, love of the accomplishment... and for some... so we don't go out and pay for love ;)

Mike D
- 79 KZ1000 LTD Supercharged
- 80 KZ1000 1105cc Pridmore/Vetter tribute
- 79 Honda CBX
- 03 Z1000 Mod
- 80 KZ1000 LTD Modified
- 80 KZ1000 LTD PROJECT on Hold
- 78 KZ1000/900 - Street big block
- 78 KZ1000-NEEDS HELP!
- 80 CBX -Project STARTED
- 81 GPZ1100
- GSRX1200
- 80 CB750F supersport......