• User
  • Thank you received: 16
les the frt is racked the pic is just not showing it

Attachment DRAGBIKE247_2012-07-17.jpg not found

Attachment Picture008.jpg not found

i have one stablizer on it do you think it would be better with 2
1976 KZ 900 PRO STREET 1977 kz1000 dragbike project
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 17 Jul 2012 09:43 #536519

• les holt
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 288
I see it now, who ever done it did a nice job by the look of it! Just looking at it I'd guess from 7 to 10 deg. I'd say 1 is fine and I believe most tracks require at least 1. I've made a few speed runs on mine and at 5 deg with no stabilizer it's real stable.
Are you going to run a dot tire or slick with struts? I've read where a street tire isn't happy on struts, have a hard time keeping them hooked after launch.

Les

Last edit: by les holt.

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 17 Jul 2012 16:05 #536584

• JEFFG1
  • JEFFG1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
les --- it does have struts with caster mgts. it has a shinko with the softest compound on it these new tires hook very hard. i do have a 18" wheel with a slick on it but i dont like the rim that it is on it is a old ninja wheel so i am going to stick with the one that is on it for now.

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 17 Jul 2012 22:13 #536658

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
I've been 148 mph with stock frame and 1 stabilizer with no problems at all...66" wheelbase though.
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 18 Jul 2012 11:09 #536747

• JEFFG1
  • User
got the castors done last nite and mocked them up on the bike look alot better than the way they were. if only i had a set of ( ape ) stickers along with the others :whistle: also a ( cavanaugh racing ) sticker would be great also

Attachment Picture092.jpg not found

Attachments:

Last edit: by JEFFG1.

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 19 Jul 2012 15:54 #537086

• JEFFG1
  • User
well i put this thing togather last nite still waiting on the cam guy to come degree them he will also make sure that things are good to go as far as clearence goes but i am sure it will be when i put the block on and brought the #1 up it was about 15 - 20 thou from the top.man summer is going fast and iam not going anywhere :(

Attachment Picture098.jpg not found

Attachments:

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 23 Jul 2012 10:59 #537847

• JEFFG1
  • User
wondering what everyone thinks about shorting my pipe about where the foot peg is ? from there back it is beat up from the kick lever from the peg forwerd it is in great shape would it affect the way it runs ??? see alot of dragbikes with them cut real short

Attachment Picture111.jpg not found

Attachments:

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 23 Jul 2012 11:46 #537865

• LarryC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 309
Jeff,

What is the overall length of the pipe from the exhaust port to the end of the meg?

What is the length of the meg from the collector back?

Are you still going with those .385 lift cams?

Also, how big is it..I forget now?
Larry C.

Last edit: by LarryC.

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 23 Jul 2012 11:51 #537868

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972
Jeff
Quick answer on your shortening the pipe is You Wont know until you try it. Since this is a purpose built dragbike it may work out since Im sure you launch hard and keep the motor in its peak powerband thru the lites. 99 percent of bikes shouldnt attempt messing with this radical a change , but dragbikes are that 1 percent. Understand that tuning will probably have to start all over again to really know if the short pipe is the way to go. I always tried to only change one thing at a time when racing so I could chart what helped and what turned out to be a step backward.
Good Luck Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEFFG1, wireman

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 23 Jul 2012 12:18 #537874

• JEFFG1
  • User

LarryC wrote: Jeff,

What is the overall length of the pipe from the exhaust port to the end of the meg?

What is the length of the meg from the collector back?

Are you still going with those .385 lift cams?

Also, how big is it..I forget now?

i will get all the info tonite and let you know

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 23 Jul 2012 23:27 #538075

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
I've always been told that a longer collector will give you more torque. No idea if that's true or not, just something I've heard many times in the past. Would be interesting to know for sure though. I have seen a few bikes that didn't run a collector at all...just the headpipes down to the collector. Has a completely different sound to it...not at all what I expected. Fill us in Larry on some of the advantages/disadvantages this would give if you would...
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEFFG1

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 23 Jul 2012 23:52 #538094

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
  • Thank you received: 299
Is there any sort of baffle in it?Baffle or no baffle will definately have an affect on the power curve depending on how restrictive it is.
Ive never seen any particular pipe run exactly the same on 2 differant bikes,those pipes are still mass produced just like any other header.
Till you actually run the bike down the track and start dialing the chassis in youre not going to know what works and what doesnt.
It took me half of a season of racing on fri-sat nights with my 1327 just to get the suspension sorted out to get it to run down the 1/8 mile in a reasonbly straight line before I ever got to worry about things like header tube lengths and fine tuning carbs! :laugh:
Take it out and have some fun with it and work out the details as you go,and yes youll get smoked by some much slower bikes when youre learning to ride it.
But once you get it dialed in youll be breaking hearts and pissing off sport bikes just like i did! :woohoo:
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEFFG1

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 24 Jul 2012 20:22 #538345

• LarryC
  • User
Get it done or run into more snags doing the cams?
Larry C.

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 24 Jul 2012 21:02 #538353

• les holt
  • Vendor

LarryC wrote: Get it done or run into more snags doing the cams?

Care to elaborate?

Les

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 24 Jul 2012 22:44 #538366

• JEFFG1
  • User
iam not sure if i understand what larry meant ? but i think he is getting sick of me coming on here talking and not getting this thing done after the time he put in on the head which i cant thank him enough but i have never built a motor in my life.i can take anything and rebuild it and in my eyes look damn good... thats my nitch and i am learning about the motor building as i go.there is no speed shop anywhere near me so i have to rely on the people to help me out on this and when they can do it. i also know that my cams for this motor isnt the best cams to use but they are all i have i had a line on a set of cam motion z4 but the guy wont get back with me on them $175.00 i want them bad.ok people are sitting there saying you can buy new cams all day long well i live in a dead town so i am very lucky to have a job i dont make 60,000 a year i get a yearly bonus and that is what i build these with after that it is just what i can save up to buy stuff and $400.00 for cams is not my main thing rite now.i am just like more than half of you on here. this bike will never run 8s i never expected it to all i wented was a bike to race with my son and friends and have fun and not have to run my orange bike and tear it up. well i guess i have talked to much but i think everyone now knows where iam coming from. ( by the way the bike is on the trailer right now and tomarrow the cams should be done!then carbs - header - gas)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 24 Jul 2012 23:08 #538373

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
  • Thank you received: 299
Its sopposed to be about having fun,dont let little stuff bother ya.
Now get it out there on the track and start breaking some parts going fast! :woohoo:
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 25 Jul 2012 08:21 #538463

• LarryC
  • User

JEFFG1 wrote: iam not sure if i understand what larry meant ? but i think he is getting sick of me coming on here talking and not getting this thing done after the time he put in on the head which i cant thank him enough but i have never built a motor in my life.i can take anything and rebuild it and in my eyes look damn good... thats my nitch and i am learning about the motor building as i go.there is no speed shop anywhere near me so i have to rely on the people to help me out on this and when they can do it. i also know that my cams for this motor isnt the best cams to use but they are all i have i had a line on a set of cam motion z4 but the guy wont get back with me on them $175.00 i want them bad.ok people are sitting there saying you can buy new cams all day long well i live in a dead town so i am very lucky to have a job i dont make 60,000 a year i get a yearly bonus and that is what i build these with after that it is just what i can save up to buy stuff and $400.00 for cams is not my main thing rite now.i am just like more than half of you on here. this bike will never run 8s i never expected it to all i wented was a bike to race with my son and friends and have fun and not have to run my orange bike and tear it up. well i guess i have talked to much but i think everyone now knows where iam coming from. ( by the way the bike is on the trailer right now and tomarrow the cams should be done!then carbs - header - gas)

What's all that about?
How the hell did you interpret that simple question into some kind of a jab?

1- A few days ago you asked about cutting off your megaphone and as I recall, you said the guy was coming over to degree the cams again. You previously had exhaust valve clearance issues do to positive deck height...

2- I asked you for some info so I could see what the pipe dimensions calculated out for the cut you were thinking of doing. Simply hacking off the pipe beyond the scratches from the kick start isn't part of any applied formula I'm aware of

3- You said "I'll get that info tonight an post it....... A couple days went by and you were silent....I wondered if you ran into more headaches with clearance problems again...So I asked A SIMPLE QUESTION :S :S :S :S :S :S

So I'll leave you with this information. Cut the pipe so that the total length of the collector from where the primaries join collector to the end of the Megaphone is not shorter than 13".

When you hack the pipe, it changes things and the cams are part of the math used to calculate the dimensions.
Larry C.

Last edit: by LarryC.

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 25 Jul 2012 08:29 #538465

• les holt
  • Vendor
I reread your post and I translated the ? into an!, That was my error. :unsure:
Sorry

Les

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 26 Jul 2012 17:22 #538803

• JEFFG1
  • User
i also read it wrong :sick: my bad but i didnt say anything bad so i get a mulligon. anyway if its not that fast i can bring that post up to fall back on :blush: ok last night i got the cams done took about 2 hours with alittle goofing off. everything went smooth the only thing is i told him to set int. at 110 and ex at 108 i was told that and the guy put the int. at 113 and the ex. 110 why i dont know. said somthing about me running a street tire its a shinko 190 drag compound they bite pretty good. i dont know! now were cooking a few things to do hoping to fire it up sat.

Attachment Picture128.jpg not found

Attachment Picture127.jpg not found

Attachments:

THIS TIME ITS A DRAGBIKE 26 Jul 2012 17:59 #538811

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
just that much closer :evil: !

keep us posted,

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0