KZ 1000 build

More
04 Feb 2012 03:53 #501930 by Emberblade
Replied by Emberblade on topic KZ 1000 build
Loving the Dynatek ignition, should be a blast on the road.

So, I got a brand new master cylinder for the front brakes.

Looks nice, but I might paint it to match the handlebars.

Also, my Kerker exhaust came from Dennis Kirk. A little dusty, but she's a beauty.

1982 KZ1000J ELR Clone
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2012 04:03 - 13 Feb 2012 17:18 #501932 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic .

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2012 17:18 by KZ250LTD.

More
28 Feb 2012 00:01 #506762 by Emberblade
So I finally got some work done today and I noticed several things.

For one, the camshaft cover has bolts that go all the way through the head at the ends, which is neat.

Two, the bike was raced before by a rider by the name of David N. Stewart. His name is scratched into the top of the headlight.

Three, does anyone know where I could find some instructions for removing the sprocket from the engine? It has a weird sprocket retainer and I couldn't figure out how I should remove it. The bolt is too shallow for my sockets.

Many of the bolts were either missing or finger tight, so I bought new ones and got everything tightened down.

I figured out that the engine mount bolt in the front was bent. I'll get another from Levine. Also, the clutch pushrod looks really worn down. It's long enough, but it has spots where it looks sheared down, possibly from hard starts and shifts. Should I replace this?

I have to pull the engine to figure out just how much it will need. I can't get it to turn over by hand, but I set some penetrating oil in it overnight and I'll check back tomorrow, maybe heat it a bit and try to turn it again.

It looks like the electric is all there. The only thing I think I'll need is a new odometer. The old one was cut off and the plug is all chewed up.

I ordered a manual, but it's taking it's sweet time getting here. :lol:

1982 KZ1000J ELR Clone

More
20 Nov 2012 01:36 #559234 by Emberblade
8 months later, and it's still in pieces.... I'm ashamed to say it's hard to balance work, school and the bikes.

The purple 650 is completely done, minus rear blinkers. I had to hand it over to a more qualified mechanic in the end, as the electrical gremlins were atrocious. It still is magnetizing the brackets of the ignition coil, but it's running great now. It's a 700cc overbore, and it goes like hell.

Anyway, The J's engine came out, and the pistons were scorched, the valves were crap, and the cylinders were horribly scored. With little to no money remaining, it'll be some time before the bike is back together, let alone running. The transmission is in great shape though, and the whole lower end of the engine is pretty solid.

It's going to be a while until I can afford new pistons.

I don't know if it's bad form to dredge these old topics from the bottom of the heap. If it is, I'll stop.

1982 KZ1000J ELR Clone

More
20 Nov 2012 11:01 - 20 Nov 2012 11:01 #559273 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic KZ 1000 build
as long as you don't sell it you can always move ahead.

maybe keep your eye out for a usable block and pistons that can just be re-ringed.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Last edit: 20 Nov 2012 11:01 by 531blackbanshee.