Restore/upgrade 1983 KZ1100LTD

• Gary - K7GLD
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD
More
27 Jan 2012 23:13 - 27 Jan 2012 23:22 #500393 by Gary - K7GLD
Restore/upgrade 1983 KZ1100LTD was created by Gary - K7GLD
Since last Fall, I've been working on an EBay purchased '83 KZ1100LTD. It arrived in pretty decent shape, 27K miles, some extra chrome work, and looked like early on in it's life it had been very well cared for and appreciated.

BUT, later owner(s)had abused and neglected it- so eventually a private Ebay buyer of used cycles got it, power washed the exterior - and I ended up with it. Over all, it was still in great shape, engine was solid, as was the drive train. Most of the issues I faced, were relatively minor maintenance and cosmetic - plus a few added upgrades:

new Plexifairing windshield
new Dyna coils
reworked carburetors
new plug wires and mods to plug caps to remove resistors
new Dunlop tires
added crash bar
added rear luggage rack/backrest
installed "Cherry Bomb" muffler
LOTS of carburetor tuning to correct what appeared to be a long-standing over-rich condition

And lots, LOTS more lesser mechanical and cosmetic repairs, replacements, and adjustments

The results?

Today was a "red letter day" - weather was a cool 36 degrees - but clear. The roads were dry, and gravel cleared enough to FINALLY see what improvements the new tires, new coils, new carb needle position and larger main jets, and new muffler has made..

GREAT!

Bike runs better than ever - took a 30 mile ride - engine smooth as silk, never missed a beat thru all gear and RPM ranges. Power improvement with the larger main jet is quite noticeable - still could probably go larger - maybe 140's, but will leave it as is for now, plenty of power!

AND, the new muffler setup is PERFECT to my ears, no more "VW beetle" effect! The new Dunlop tires handle and corner noticeably better than the 10 year old hardened ones the bike came with.

After the ride, pulled a couple of plugs - PERFECT color - so that marks the end of carb adjustments, unless I eventually want the full power the 1100 is capable of - but will settle for fuel MPG for the time being.

This completes ALL the major bike activities, it LOOKS great, RUNS great - and I'm well pleased with it all. All that's left for the rest of the Winter, is detailed cleaning and minor stuff - here's the bike as of today:

[IMG

[IMG

John Day area - Eastern Oregon
Restored 1983 Kawasaki 1100LTD
Last edit: 27 Jan 2012 23:22 by Gary - K7GLD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2012 00:04 #500396 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Restore/upgrade 1983 KZ1100LTD
And you were dubious of replacing the ignition coils? Even when new, the stock coils were marginal, put some years & heat on them and they start to fail. Loudhvx, or Otakar here on this forum have had ignition coils fail, almost stranding them.

I'd imagine your bike will start on the first engine rollover now, It's a great feeling knowing the bike is now very dependable....

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
28 Jan 2012 00:46 #500402 by Flyndrive
Replied by Flyndrive on topic Restore/upgrade 1983 KZ1100LTD
That bike looks great!! I like the little cherry bomb!

1980 KZ 550A1
1985 GPZ 900R

More
28 Jan 2012 01:04 #500406 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Restore/upgrade 1983 KZ1100LTD
Congrats on a handsome, well-appointed bike! :cheer:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD