Gpz11 - ZRX 750

More
24 Jan 2012 07:12 #499767 by GPzed11
Gpz11 - ZRX 750 was created by GPzed11
Okay, I have been thinking about this for a long time, out of the blue a car guy I know says he has a rough zxr, all he knew was that it had the snorkels into the tank. So I said yes, sight unseen. it was cheap enough, can't go wrong? Growing up in a bike wreckers, you'd think I would know better....

[IMG

This pic is after removing the smashed tank, plastics were mainly gone, subframe bent, guages look okay, oil cooler I can use, all I wanted really was the running gear. Eventually I realise the front wheel and swingarm have both taken a hit also. Anyway, I can mock it up in an old frame I have and see what we have.

[IMG

Gpz1100/1000J
Fraser Coast Qld Australia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2012 07:37 #499768 by GPzed11
Replied by GPzed11 on topic Gpz11 - ZRX 750
Front end, bearings are the same part number for the Gpz and the Zxr, how lucky could I get - went straight in. steering stoppers are close, at least will keep the forks off the tank for mock up. Will probably rotate the clip ons out a bit more, but looks like no machining which I was counting on having to do. Looks like my headlight bracket as i want to run the original fairing.

Swingarm is 25mm to wide, and 10mm off centre at the pivot. So if I take 15mm off one side and 10mm off the other, it should be okay. Yet to measure this accurately though. It has had a hit and bodgy repair on the RHS right where the shock mount will go. Need to have a good look and measure of the whole thing and see if it is worth using it or source a different arm. At least now my other half has the picture of what I am up to and thinks it is a good idea, so that helps.

The plan is to mock all this up in this frame, and once it is set up, transfer it into my black Zed. This one has been having a rest for the last two years, so right now the battery is on the charger and have been fiddling with a few things to get it back to scratch as a base point. Just put the laverda style bars back on as all the cables are set up for that more than the superbike bars, and that is the position I like, so i can be setting the zxr clip ons to the same kind af reach as I go.

Here is the black one as posted in the new members thread:

[IMG

It has a zx1100 swingarm, zzr front sprocket for offset, and a rear sprocket which has been spaced out by using a standard sprocket machined down to be a disc then second set of holes drilled. 630 x-link chain. I have run a 140 rear tyre with this set up, but it made it steer like crap, it is spot on with the 130 rear. This is a really stable bike, there is some extra bracng at the front and above the swingarm. Never run a steering damper on this bike where i have done on previous zeds. If it starts shaking it's head, I am going way to fast.
Progressive front springs and an odd fork oil weight that I can't remember, koni shocks.
So a few bits and pieces like master cylinder and rego stuff, I want it registered before I start messing with the suspension. Thanks to stalking KZRider, I have remembered how shit hot riding zeds is so I am just keen to get on the bike and ride it right now as it has been too damn long.
So I'll keep you posted on the getting it on the road part, and then see what progress we have with the zxr stuff. There is a plan B here, where I leave the black one as is, and get the zxr gear into another Gpz which I was going to sell to fund the project, but I might sell my rz350 first and that will get me off the hook there.

Gpz1100/1000J
Fraser Coast Qld Australia

More
25 Jan 2012 07:13 #499973 by Zedone
Replied by Zedone on topic Gpz11 - ZRX 750
Nice looking project, keep us posted B)

1977 KZ1000A1
1977 KZ1000A1 (Superbike Project)
1969 Chevrolet C/10 Short Fleet

More
25 Jan 2012 11:40 #499992 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Gpz11 - ZRX 750
i can't wait to follow along on your build.

i hate to hear you have to sell something tho :sick: .

here is an rz a buddy of mine owned.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments: