'82 KZ305

• kacivic
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Bike Nut
More
06 Jan 2012 12:13 #496700 by kacivic
'82 KZ305 was created by kacivic
This is an ongoing project I picked up kind of unexpectedly, and don't really know what to do with it. But, when in doubt, chop.

'82 KZ305 on the day I got it...

It's just sat dormant in my garage for the last month because of a pesky fuel leak, but after rebuilding the petcock, a new fuel hose, and replacing the o-rings on the fuel inlet tee in the carbs, she seems good again.

Since the bars on the bike were bent (not to mention ridiculous), I tried some apes, and they just didn't seem right. So, messing around last night, I got inspired to put some BMX bars on there. Only problem with that is that BMX bars were never intended to mount in clamps like these...

...so I made them fit.

They look a little weird, but I'm a little weird too.

An unexpected "windfall" means that I get to order my new tank and accessories . Next up after that will be some extended fork tubes, though I don't know just how long I'm going to go yet. I'm thinking 4" at the moment, but the idea of cutting and doing a proper rake is growing on me.

This bike needs a proper hardtail, as the previous owner just welded some 3/8" steel plate between the rear frame and swing arm. Were I to keep this setup, it is impossible to change the belt without cutting out the support. So, thinking I'm going to just do a proper hardtail with about a 3-4" stretch, and a sprung solo seat. As it is, this bike is a little rough on the kidneys.

'82 KZ305 bobber
'87 Yamaha Venture Royale
'07 Hyosung GV650 bobber
'07 Hyosung GT650
'07 Hyosung GV650 chopper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kacivic
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Bike Nut
More
06 Jan 2012 17:39 #496764 by kacivic
Replied by kacivic on topic '82 KZ305
oh, I did have another question, actually. Do any of you guys know if there's a hardtail section available for another bike that would have close enough dimensions to adapt to the small kz frames?

'82 KZ305 bobber
'87 Yamaha Venture Royale
'07 Hyosung GV650 bobber
'07 Hyosung GT650
'07 Hyosung GV650 chopper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.