Another one added to the herd

• The Gringo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
25 Dec 2011 22:57 #494669 by The Gringo
Another one added to the herd was created by The Gringo

I guess about a month ago I picked up this little gem. I don't normally mess with 440's and I bought this one with the idea of using it as a parts bike for a 78 KZ400 that I'm working on for a friend. Since his bike is the el-cheapo model with a drum front brake, no tach, painted fenders and kick start only I figured buying a parts bike and robbing all the good stuff to put on his was a good call. But when I went and picked up the bike it's just too darned nice to do that to.....so I now have another project. The carbs had been taken off but they are real clean inside so all I have to do is put them back on it also has the hard to find stock airbox. The rear tire looks new and the front isn't too bad either. Chain and sprockets look good as well. The inside of the tank is nice, paint is decent as is the chrome and everything is there including the tool kit. I just bought a battery for it and I'm waiting for RSTNICK to make me a key for it which is on the way. All the electrics seem to be in order, now I just need to find a couple hours to mess with it. So far I haven't even cleaned it up. I figure come spring it will either get sold or it might make a good girlfriend bike....who knows? It should be one of the easier projects I've found.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• The Gringo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Dec 2011 23:07 #494670 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Another one added to the herd
I don't know why the first pic didn't load but here is the other side. The bike only has 12,000 miles on it. Should make a good starter bike for somebody.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
Attachments:

More
27 Dec 2011 12:17 #494840 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Another one added to the herd
Nice find Andy.
I'm looking for a similar sized bike for my sons to learn on.
Keys on the way.

Rob

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
27 Dec 2011 12:37 #494841 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Another one added to the herd
Nice one Andy...I'd love to stumble across a smaller Kawasaki... :)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
27 Dec 2011 14:41 #494847 by mbsween
Replied by mbsween on topic Another one added to the herd
Andy,
Congrats, nice looking bike. I road one a fair amount back int he early 80s. Easy to ride and realeasy to slide a round a corner as I recall.

I thought I had a sickness at 6 bikes, you are an over achiever!

Matt

• The Gringo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Dec 2011 00:12 #494900 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Another one added to the herd

Thanks guys I'm pretty pleased with it so far unfortunately I've had very little time to mess with it lately. I went on a buying spree at several estate sales and bought some really big items that required me to rent a big 26 ft. Penske truck equipped with a lift gate. The problem is every time I do that the holy roller next door thinks her prayers have been answered and that I'm moving. :laugh: When she figures out that God is paying her no attention and that I'm not moving but rather aquiring more stuff she calls the local zoning inspector and trys to convince him I'm running a commercial business out of my house repairing motorcycles and cars. I got a letter from him complete with pictures he took of all the stuff in my yard. I went through this a couple of years back when he was then the asst. zoning inspector. He told me all my bikes needed to be plated so I told him fine they are all drag bikes and to go F himself.

I called him the other day and was a little nicer this time but I again explained to him that all these bikes belong to me and that I don't do outside work for anyone therefore it is not a commercial business and I'm not breaking any laws. He can't seem to wrap his brain around how any one person would need so many bikes. I just asked him how many pairs of shoes his wife owns and that pretty much shut him up. :evil: :evil: The only reason I was nicer to him this time is I'm thinking about trying to re-open a bar that has been closed down the street and I'd need a zoning variance to do it. Come to find out there is no way to do it so I suppose I can go back to being my sarcastic self. What the schmuck doesn't realize is that he hasn't even seen all the bikes I have. I have 3 at my other house and one at my ex-wife's uncle's house. I also made a deal to buy another one in May as soon as the guy can get it out from where he has it stored. Plus I'm looking at a nice Venture Royale and I bid on another 84 GPZ1100 tonight but lost out when my bid wasn't high enough. :angry:

I did spend about 15 minutes yesterday and polished up the point cover. The lighting in the garage is sort of crappy but you'll be able to see the difference compared to the clutch cover it mounts to.

Oh and Matt 6 bikes is not considered a sickness IMHO, hell I've bought that many just since July of this year. Rob thanks for your help on the key hope this one works and since Xmas is over maybe it won't take the PO so long this time. Michael, that is a for sale sign I'm holding in the second pic that you see reflected in the point cover....HINT HINT B)

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
Attachments: