79650 Full Custom Framed Bobber ((FIXED!!!))

More
19 Nov 2011 18:48 #489241 by CenCalKZ
Replied by CenCalKZ on topic 79650 Full Custom Framed Bobber ((FIXED!!!))
I just can't get into those universal kits. Too much open space between the engine and rear tire. It's like a harley guy designed it for a divorced trans. I gotta say, yours does look better than most. My frame will be done and ready for powdercoat by december. I will punch myself in the face everyday that I go past my march-april 2012 finish date. I have to get back on a bike. With this going I have NO motivation to put my old daily back together (96 zx-6). Needs some money thrown at it (cables, brakes, tires, other small stuff) but its all there. Just no care. I want something FUN! Good luck on getting your finished up! I have actually read your build thread.

I never claimed to be a wise man.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2011 19:32 #489245 by Patton

CenCalKZ wrote: ...love it for what it is...I'm going to be having more fun than most....

We're rooting for ya! :woohoo:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: CenCalKZ

More
19 Nov 2011 20:13 #489252 by CenCalKZ
OH MAN, that is awesome! hahahahahahaha. I just might have to use that as my new avatar!!! Thanks Patton. Can't wait to post pics when the roller gets done!

More
22 Nov 2011 04:24 #489658 by CenCalKZ
Well, money came up short this week. Didn't get the last of the tubing and plate I need. Get that first thing monday. Going to get the pieces I have bent, fit and tacked together tomorrow. Roller by mid next week... Should be able to get pictures of tomorrows work up before I leave town for Thanksgiving.... Happy Turkey Week all!!!!!

More
22 Nov 2011 04:32 #489659 by dizl27
Patton seems to impress all i see. Thats an awesome post. My 650 fired up today thanks to Patton as well. Needs some tuning but she ran well. Already got here back apart and frame sandblasted. Now to some finishing touches on the frame before paint.i go back to work wed so ill be at a hault for 2 weeks. :(

1977 650 Hardtail Bobber
1996 250 Yamaha Virago Bobber

More
23 Nov 2011 23:27 #489908 by ih8wrk
:woohoo: Looks like i'm at the right place. I guess great minds think alike huh? Here's one of my 79 650. and yours looks great.

Attachment DSCF0004.JPG not found

Attachments:

More
29 Nov 2011 02:10 #490621 by CenCalKZ
Thanks! Yours is coming together nicely! I'm currently on the hunt for some parts. As is everyone I suppose. Anyone reading this, I need GPZ 750 parts and KZ 550 wheels!!! :P

More
09 Dec 2011 01:45 #492300 by CenCalKZ
ALRIGHT, So I got some time to work on the frame this week. Made a new jig, did some mock up. Figure some things out. Going to get metal and work on it more tomorrow. I will have pictures of the progress up this weekend! Got a line on a 831 a guy built back in the 80's with a MTC kit..... Just might have to buy it! Anyway. Look for an update Saturday night.

More
10 Dec 2011 02:05 #492470 by CenCalKZ
So today was a bust. But here are the pictures from earlier this week.

Got a new jig made up

Got some grinding done on the neck

[attachment:2]C:\fakepath\2011-12-05_17-48-55_753.jpg[/attachment]

Got the rear axle hangers ground out and the fill plates cut and ready to weld in.

[attachment:3]C:\fakepath\2011-12-05_17-06-03_11.jpg[/attachment]

Plates welded in and spacer made. Ready for the jig to set axle height.

[attachment:4]C:\fakepath\2011-12-05_17-47-59_472.jpg[/attachment]

The progress so far. Gotta re-bend some new pieces. Had the original sections cut too short. Have a specific measurement we are wanting to achieve, won't work with the length we got now. All in all, 10 dollar learning experience. No pain, no gain... right?! hahahahaha

[attachment:5]C:\fakepath\2011-12-05_18-21-33_236.jpg[/attachment]

It will be a month, maybe. Before I am able to make any serious forward movement. I will be buying the metal to finish the frame off sans mounting tabs in the next week. Time allowing I'll have a roller by or just after New Years.

More
10 Dec 2011 02:07 #492471 by CenCalKZ
ARGH.... Just spent 20 minutes posting an update only to have it fail to upload...... :angry: So here are the pics with the condensed narration. Got some grinding done on the neck. Ground out the rear axle hangers and welded in fill plates to accept the frame rails. Set up the hangers with a spacer and then welded it to a jig to set the rear axle height. Also built a new jig to hold the rails and neck for set-up and welding. Once we got everything set into place we realized having the original stick cut into 5 foot lengths was a bad idea. We have a specific measurement we want to achieve and it just won't happen with the rails we have bent. No big worry. 10 dollar learning experience. I have cost myself more to learn less before, hahaha. So next week, new metal. Enough to finish off the frame to a roller. No mounting tabs, but it'll roll. Time allowing it will be an actual roller by or just after new years. Maybe even have provisions for mounting the engine and a few other things. Take care and good journey.

Attachments:

More
10 Dec 2011 02:08 #492472 by CenCalKZ
I've tried twice to post an update, but it isn't uploading. I'll try this weekend when I don't want to find out if laptops fly on their own.....

More
10 Dec 2011 03:09 #492477 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic 79650 Full Custom Framed Bobber ((FIXED!!!))
If the pics are too high a res, they won't post. I think 2 meg is the max. But anything around 500k is perfect.

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive
The following user(s) said Thank You: CenCalKZ