Hello glad to be a part of your forum. kz750n

More
01 Nov 2011 02:49 #486429 by Bmarc
So my newest motorcycle project is a Kawasaki KZ 750n Spectre. I have owned the motorcycle for about 3 years. I traded my "Not Running" 73 Honda 350four for it. The KZ did run at the time of the trade, but I wouldn't have taken it above 30. This is a list of what I have done to it just getting it running and safe.

New Clutch

Cleanished the Carb

New Handlebars

Changed rear air shocks to springs

Lowered front air fork from 40 to 8 psi

New tires

Brake pads

Oil Change

Battery X2

Then I was transferred to Vermont, in the middle of winter. So I said "Dad I love you and you paid for me to do about a billion dollars worth of things while growing up. How would you like this motorcycle." "He said "NO I dont want that leaky piece of shit in my garage" After a masterful debate on my part we agreed that as long as I made sure it wouldn't pee on the garage, it could live there. I solved this problem with a plastic basin, bungee corded to the bottom of the frame. My dad rides and has had cooler bikes than me. But he doesn't have my passion or vision. He rode it and actually he had the clutch put in. He put 21 miles on it in 3 years. I am back now "Pittsburgh PA" and have reclaimed the Spectre.

The Plan:

Current condition of the bike is relatively good. It is pretty much stock. It does leak oil and I am not exactly sure where from. The clutch case "basket?"has come loose so there is a knocking or rattle when it idles. It ran rough when I first got back but I have put about a 1000 miles on it, and it seems to have settled down. Now it just needs about 20 min of gentle love before you can really hammer on it. It has a different carburetor, it is all black but I am pretty sure it is just stock from another year/model. While digging around this guys garage I found the original carb so I have it, but it looks beat on. I may open it up and cleanish it up to the best of my abilities. I may sell them. Undecided. Everything else is in working order.

Mechanical First

Stop oil leak: Please let me know if you have any probable causes.

Stiffen up the suspension: Please let me know any good swaps. But the current springs and air
shocks are not cutting it.

Sync Carburetor: This I can do. Maybe cleanish it up again. Maybe just a sea foam soak.

Figure out solution to the clutch basket noise: Ummmmmm.....

Customizing Second

Remove rear fender and tail light assembly and replace with a thick large grab rail with a tighter light assembly. I am going to switch the handle bars to motocross bars. Maybe a chopped front fender. I wont cut the stock one up but ill chop the shit out of a junk yard fender. Paint the motor, Gold? Black? Black and Gold? The tank is black and gold. I am going for kind a street fighter that is not obnoxious. If that makes sense.

I have used forums before on other bikes and have found them to be invaluable. I will take any info. PDF Repair manual in emails are frowned upon soooo I would never "ask" anyone to send one to my email address bmarc19@gmail.com. ;) "I bought the clymer KZ manual but guess what model is not in it." "The old shaft drive Spectre." Or you can just say hi. If I can figure it out I am gonna post a picture of the bike. Thanks for reading.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2011 02:53 #486430 by Bmarc
picture please work

More
01 Nov 2011 04:11 - 01 Nov 2011 04:12 #486437 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic Hello glad to be a part of your forum. kz750n
Pics have to be under 2 megs i believe, then they post fine. Or it could've posted, and since I'm looking on the site with my IPod, it's not showing me the pictures. It's possible.
We do like pictures on here. Lots and lots of pictures! And that way we can help to figure out where the oil leak is coming from too. ;). Oh, and welcome to KZR.

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive
Last edit: 01 Nov 2011 04:12 by Chaotic Reason.

More
01 Nov 2011 10:04 - 01 Nov 2011 10:04 #486458 by Patton

Bmarc wrote: ... oil leak: Please let me know if you have any probable causes....

Hello, Bmarc, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

If oil seems to be dripping from underneath, and the engine otherwise looks clean and oil-free, might need a new grommet where wires exit from the alternator cover.

Click > www.z1enterprises.com/Alternator-cover-r...Z900-KZ1000-373.aspx

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 01 Nov 2011 10:04 by Patton.

More
04 Nov 2011 05:11 #486948 by Specte82
Replied by Specte82 on topic Hello glad to be a part of your forum. kz750n
Hey Bmarc,
I found this Articel and thought: thats the right man! :silly: because I looking for new rear air shocks for my Spectre (Only the "bumper"?). Its a long time ago than I talk/write english. Sorry for this. Look at my Attachment - than you will see what I meen. At the right one the "Bumper" is defect. When your Bumper are OK - its possible to send it to Germany?
Greetings from germany
Tomas
Attachments:

More
08 Nov 2011 03:00 - 08 Nov 2011 03:02 #487547 by Bmarc
Ok so my computer crashed the night I posted. It was one of the last things it would do. I pad!!! I will take some pictures, and get them on here asap I believe I have located my oil leak. I have a bad, what I would call shifter seal. Does not look all that hard, so therefore it's impossible. Lol. I still have no idea how to fix the knocking at idle. I believe it to be the clutch basket. This bike is a pain in the butt.
Last edit: 08 Nov 2011 03:02 by Bmarc.

More
08 Nov 2011 03:17 #487549 by Bmarc
I don't have the original air shocks I have springs. I am looking to upgrade my already aftermarket springs.