New member! This is my first bobber build...

More
20 Oct 2011 22:36 #484392 by drewflix51
I have built a few cafe racers over the years as a hobby and wanted to take a stab at a bobber. About a year ago I got my hands on this cherry kz440 with 6500 miles and immediately thought it would make great looking bobber. A few months and some hard work brought me to this almost finished product. Still a few odds and ends but she is almost done. This thing is a ton of fun to ride and it's seriously a croud pleaser. A couple of guys I ride with from time to time have these tricked out $30k choppers and my little Kz gets all the attention! How funny! Anyway, I would love to hear any thoughts on how I may improve this old girl or even see some other bobber pics if you have any.

KZ440 Harlesaki Bobber
Zephyr ZR550 Cafe Racer

Area 51 Garage
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2011 22:56 #484394 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic New member! This is my first bobber build...
sweet build. Ihave a buddy that I have been trying to get to do something like that with his 440 it has sat for the last 4 years. his tank tusyed out and he jusy quit riding it maybe this will inspire him

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

More
20 Oct 2011 23:07 #484396 by drewflix51
Replied by drewflix51 on topic New member! This is my first bobber build...
Hey thanks man! I was just looking at your pics a few minutes ago... the kryptonite paint theme is awesome. I tried to paint my ZR550 cafe racer and finally gave up. I ended up taking it to a buddy who owns a custom paint shop to give it that old skool cafe look. It was pricey but well worth the investment.

KZ440 Harlesaki Bobber
Zephyr ZR550 Cafe Racer

Area 51 Garage

More
20 Oct 2011 23:15 #484400 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic New member! This is my first bobber build...
Thanks I'm just learnng. I couldnt afford my paint guy lol. I bought my buddy his 440 so he could ride with me in 04 he rode that thing rain or shine year round hope he gets some inspiration and wants to do a build like yours. If your new here this is a great site I have become addicted the guys on here know their stuff or know someone that does. plenty of help and inspiration

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
21 Oct 2011 02:17 #484430 by clutch
Welcome to KZR. Very cool chopper build. I really like the paintjob on the tank...I almost thought it was really peeling! :woohoo: Is that an actual NOS tank on there, or some kind of battery/gadget box?

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
21 Oct 2011 09:18 #484443 by drewflix51
Actually that is a NOS energy drink bottle with a lithium ion battery tucked away inside. I thought it would be an interesting way to hide the battery.

KZ440 Harlesaki Bobber
Zephyr ZR550 Cafe Racer

Area 51 Garage

More
21 Oct 2011 09:41 #484446 by drewflix51
Actually that is a NOS energy drink bottle with a lithium ion battery tucked away inside. I thought it would be an interesting way to hide the battery.

KZ440 Harlesaki Bobber
Zephyr ZR550 Cafe Racer

Area 51 Garage

More
21 Oct 2011 15:25 #484485 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic New member! This is my first bobber build...
Welcome mate. Very nice set up. And quite and interesting idea with the battery. I can see why it gets the attention.
I used to own a '94 883 sportster, had it blacked out and not too much else done with it. I rode down to Bike week one year and went with some buddies up main street. One buddy had a new Wide Glide with the ostrich seat, another buddy had a honda that he customized, and a couple of other friends with new bikes. We're going up main street and they are reving their bikes and whatnot for the attention, and I'm riding behind them with a surprise up my sleeve. I put a spark plug in my exhaust, and ran a separate coil hooked up to a hidden switch. While they're reving theirs up, I hit my switch, and started shooting 3 foot flames out my exhaust. Crispy orange and yellow, with just a bit of blue. When we were out later that night, they came up to me and asked it I would let them go 10 minutes before me the next time we rode up main street. :)

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

• clutch
  • User
More
21 Oct 2011 15:29 #484486 by clutch

drewflix51 wrote: Actually that is a NOS energy drink bottle with a lithium ion battery tucked away inside. I thought it would be an interesting way to hide the battery.

Must be a fairly small battery! I'm pretty sure I've seen similar battery boxes before (much larger though), and probably cost quite a bit more than yours too! Either way, it's a neat idea :)

Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
21 Oct 2011 16:13 #484498 by drewflix51
Thanks for the kind words. I see you are from southern md. I'm in laplata md. By the way... Nice cafe you got there. I have a zr550 I just finished as a cafe racer. I was thinking of starting a tonup so md I'd you are interested.

KZ440 Harlesaki Bobber
Zephyr ZR550 Cafe Racer

Area 51 Garage

• clutch
  • User
More
21 Oct 2011 17:37 #484514 by clutch

drewflix51 wrote: Thanks for the kind words. I see you are from southern md. I'm in laplata md. By the way... Nice cafe you got there. I have a zr550 I just finished as a cafe racer. I was thinking of starting a tonup so md I'd you are interested.

I thought that was a MD plate on that bobber! I'm down in Lexington Park, so not too far from you. A tonup in our area would be sweet. I don't see many cafe's, but occasionally there is one putting around down here (besides me lol).

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...