81 CSR Project

More
09 Oct 2011 09:49 #482139 by soupsamich
81 CSR Project was created by soupsamich
Im starting my KZ hobby with a $300 CSR and a 12 year old kid. Hopefully after winters over it ends up looking and running better than it does now and not a pile of parts that I trip over when I let the dogs out. Either way will be fun, but one just a little more rewarding.

Attachment kz_2011-10-09.jpg not found

1981 KZ1000
2004 Ducati 1000ss
Upstate NY
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2011 20:25 #483398 by soupsamich
Replied by soupsamich on topic 81 CSR Project

Attachment 1strainydaykz.jpg not found

Today was the first crappy upstate NY day to start working on the bike. We rebuilt the petcock and it still leaked by. Drained the oil and 4 quarts came out. Mostly gas. needless to say, we will be going to the vacuum less petcock.

Got rid of the sissy bar and took the exhaust off to change the gaskets. Both kids were turning wrenches so it was a perfect day.

If I read a couple of posts right, its a quick and easy swap to the standard petcock. Adapter plate, drill the tank out a little and plug the vacuum line. Is that correct?

1981 KZ1000
2004 Ducati 1000ss
Upstate NY
Attachments:

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
15 Oct 2011 21:21 #483405 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic 81 CSR Project
I see another Kennedy tool box. Do we have another machinist in our midst?

Awesome to see you have both kids taking interest.

I haven't done the petcock swap, but that sounds right. One thing you can do is make a phone call to Z1Enterprises. They are great folks and are always willing to sort out what you need over the phone. Here's a link to their website: www.z1enterprises.com/ Do yourself a favor and call them when you need technical assistance. They are very knowledgeable about these bikes.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
18 Oct 2011 19:46 #483999 by soupsamich
Replied by soupsamich on topic 81 CSR Project
Not a machinist any more. Did it for a couple of years during and after high school.

We just got our first shipment from Z1. I would bet you are right that calling them is a good idea. Might save me from ordering the wrong parts.

We took off the exhaust this weekend and then I figured it would be fun to do a quick couple second run. We actually had not heard it run yet. Kids got to see the flames shoot out of all four exhaust ports. Kept them interested for a couple more hours because of it.

The next part of the plan going forward is a yoshi 4-1, stage 1 kit for the carbs if needed. We recieved the drag bars and need to get them installed. The airbox is missing the cover, so Im not sure if its worth going with the stock filter or going with individuals. Any input?

1981 KZ1000
2004 Ducati 1000ss
Upstate NY

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
28 Oct 2011 02:56 #485739 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic 81 CSR Project

soupsamich wrote: The next part of the plan going forward is a yoshi 4-1, stage 1 kit for the carbs if needed. We recieved the drag bars and need to get them installed. The airbox is missing the cover, so Im not sure if its worth going with the stock filter or going with individuals. Any input?

If you're going to run individual (pod) filters, then you may want to hold off on your jet kit until you decide. If you switch to the pods, you will need to rejet again. Some people have issues tuning their carbs and jetting properly when running pods, though there are many of us (including myself), that run pods successfully. There are pros and cons, so you may want to run a search here on the forums before deciding. :)

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
07 Jan 2012 02:35 #496865 by New2Kz
Replied by New2Kz on topic 81 CSR Project
hey nice bike, i also just bought a 81 csr 1000 for $300 lol plan to build drag bike or street weekend strip bike, looking forward to follwing your build

1981 kawasaki kz csr 1000( stock for now)

2001 gsxr 619 track bike