1982 KZ750 E3 Complete Wiring Overhaul

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
04 Oct 2011 00:44 #481278 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 1982 KZ750 E3 Complete Wiring Overhaul
Is that an aftermarket Regulator/ Rectifier? Black wire would be ground then, and yes Must be connected to a good clean ground on the frame.
Solenoid connections, it is just an electromagnet, the two small wires just need one connection each, power through the Start button and ground to energize its coil.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: clutch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
04 Oct 2011 00:49 #481279 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic 1982 KZ750 E3 Complete Wiring Overhaul

Motor Head wrote: Is that an aftermarket Regulator/ Rectifier? Black wire would be ground then, and yes Must be connected to a good clean ground on the frame.
Solenoid connections, it is just an electromagnet, the two small wires just need one connection each, power through the Start button and ground to energize its coil.

It's a Rick's reg/rect (I think...definitely aftermarket). Weird thing is, that it worked the way I had it hooked up when it was stock. If grounding that reg/rect is the right thing to do, then no worries...I can do that! Thanks for the reply. I've been trying to figure out what I needed to do here for a couple days (didn't want to damage anything). Now I can button it all up and start on some fresh paint...then my '66 Samurai project finally begins (2 years after buying the bike LOL)! :woohoo:

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

• Motor Head
  • User
More
04 Oct 2011 00:55 #481280 by Motor Head
So it that a 6 wire R/R with the brown wire? if so then the Brown is the voltage sense wire, it needs to be Switched to as close to Battery voltage as possible. If it sees lower than battery voltage it will make up the difference on output. Possibly overcharging the battery.
If it is 5 wire then it will not have a Brown, it will do the voltage sensing on the White/ Red output wire.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Oct 2011 00:58 - 04 Oct 2011 00:58 #481281 by clutch

Motor Head wrote: So it that a 6 wire R/R with the brown wire? if so then the Brown is the voltage sense wire, it needs to be Switched to as close to Battery voltage as possible. If it sees lower than battery voltage it will make up the difference on output. Possibly overcharging the battery.
If it is 5 wire then it will not have a Brown, it will do the voltage sensing on the White/ Red output wire.

6 wire. I'm hooking up the brown wire to the "always hot" (but fused) wire that powers the clock on my Acewell. I just haven't gotten quite that far yet into the project. Shouldn't take me long to finish it all up though :)

Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...
Last edit: 04 Oct 2011 00:58 by clutch. Reason: chubby-finger typo fixin'

• Motor Head
  • User
More
04 Oct 2011 00:59 #481282 by Motor Head
6 wire, Brown must be switched, or battery will drain/ discharge.

The following user(s) said Thank You: clutch

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Oct 2011 01:00 #481283 by clutch
OH!!!!! That shouldn't be on a always hot wire then...hmmm...glad I didn't get that far yet...easy fix :)

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• Motor Head
  • User
More
04 Oct 2011 01:04 #481285 by Motor Head

clutch wrote: OH!!!!! That shouldn't be on a always hot wire then...hmmm...glad I didn't get that far yet...easy fix :)

Yes sir. :)

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Oct 2011 01:04 #481286 by clutch
Ahh...looked at the wiring diagram wrong. I thought that brown wire was hooked to one of the aux power supplies...but it's hooked into the power feed for the brake light. Good save sir :)

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Oct 2011 01:19 #481287 by clutch
Looking back at my pics, I realized that that black wire was connected to a yellow/black ground wire. I thought it was connected straight to the red/yellow wire (ground) from the solenoid...silly me. I feel better now that I know what I did wrong :silly:

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Oct 2011 02:16 - 05 Oct 2011 02:16 #481434 by clutch
Alright, so now that I have the solenoid/regulator mistake worked out, I turned towards lighting. I wired up the headlight (high and low), connected the high beam indicator wire and tested it. As a note to those with aftermarket headlight brackets like me, I had to flip them so they were angled up to have enough movement to properly adjust the headlight with the clipons. It was hitting the cross piece the other way.

I also added an extra indicator light, which will serve as my low fuel warning light. I was going to remove the sensor, but decided to keep it since it can be useful. The only place I could figure out to mount this and still have the bike look fairly clean, was in the top of the headlight bucket.

As a side note, I was playing around with my dremel earlier using pieces from the polishing kit I have for it. I used it a bit on one of the fork lowers to try it out. It looks a lot better in person than in the pic, but I'm open to suggestions/advice as I don't really have any experience polishing metal.

All that is left is the tail light, brake light, oil press wire, neutral wire, and the turn signals (which I am not wiring now because I need new ones, and MD says I don't have to have them). If I don't finish this up tomorrow, it will be done Thursday :)

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...
Last edit: 05 Oct 2011 02:16 by clutch.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Oct 2011 02:47 - 06 Oct 2011 02:48 #481637 by clutch
Alright...got everything wired except for the horn, low fuel light, and the taillight. The brake switches are wired so that when the brake light comes on, so does the hazard indicator light on my acewell. I did this because I won't be running hazards when I get some new turn signals and install them. After everything is wired, there are a couple things I will need to trim because I left too much slack, and then I will button it up. The very LAST thing I will wire is the low fuel light. The wires are run, but they just need to be connected. No pics this time, but when everything is done, I will post some of the finished project (probably tomorrow)! :woohoo:

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...
Last edit: 06 Oct 2011 02:48 by clutch.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Oct 2011 19:58 #481768 by clutch
I spent almost all day today cleaning up the garage, so I didn't get much done on the bike. I still need to mount the ignition switch, wire the horn, wire the taillight, and cleanup the wiring with cable ties/wire loom. I did a quick mockup for the cafe tail. I think I am going to take off 6 inches or so off the front, so it won't stick out quite so far. Once I have that figured out, I can finish wiring the taillight. Don't mind the red paint on part of the tail, I was just trying out some rustoleum to see if I liked it....still undecided...

Also, while I was cleaning up the garage, I found a solution to my missing fork air valve. I'm thinking it's a bit too much, but I do have 4 of them, so I can put the other 2 on the wheels. What do you think? LOL! :woohoo:

So...maybe tomorrow I will get this project done (a week after my initial goal completion day).

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...