The Grouchy Kaws Resurrection

More
18 Aug 2011 12:16 #469734 by bekz
The Grouchy Kaws Resurrection was created by bekz
Firgured I'd better start one of these and help myself keep track of what I'm doing, what I did and what I want to do.

Okay so lets see, I picked her up from my dad's garage on June 4th. It was an 8 hr round trip and nice stop to see family.

Attachment Kaw1.JPG not found

Attachment Kaw3.JPG not found

In Dads gargage...

Attachment Bikeloaded.JPG not found

Loaded and ready to go!

'81 440 LTD.
'80 440 LTD. Parts bike
bekz
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2011 12:24 #469737 by bekz
Replied by bekz on topic The Grouchy Kaws Resurrection
I got her home very late that night and put her in my "new" garage (aka a kitchen.)

Attachment FinallyHome.JPG not found

The next day I started pulling stuff off to see what needed immediate attention....

Attachment CIMG0977.JPG not found

Attachment kitchengarage.JPG not found

Ended up having a laundry list of things to do. Changed spark plugs right off the bat, filled the tank with gas and made sure she ran. 3 min engine test and all was good.
She was missing an air filter, needed a new battery , new sprockets and chains, the neutral light wasn't working, speedo wasn't working and had no tach cable, new fork seals and dust caps, possibly tires and a new seat.

'81 440 LTD.
'80 440 LTD. Parts bike
bekz
Attachments:

More
18 Aug 2011 12:43 #469739 by bekz
While still in my kitchen, she got a few upgrades. She recieved new battery wires, a new battery and straightened out her back signal lights along with replaced and rerouted wiring.

Attachment Abouttoloseherfront.JPG not found

Once we got her moved to the garage temporarily, the real work begain. She got a new rear tube, balanced tires, new sprockets and chain, new mirrors, new speedo and tach cables, the speedo was opened cleaned and siliconed back together, replaced the cultch and adjustor cover, replaced timing advancer and cover, cut and adjusted her exhaust, remounted the right front signal, replaced side covers, grounded point off kick stand and repainted, new clutch and brake levers to stock ones....

Attachment Frontsealsntirefix.JPG not found

She also got new seals and dust covers, oil filter and oil change, and the neutral light plugged back in (yes that rights it wasn't plugged in! LOL)

The carbs were and are still a nightmare. Turns out its my bikes gremlin.... The diaphrams have been replaced, shimmed the needles, replaced needles (3 times,) saudured (sp?) the overflow tubes due to nasty cracks and still can not get the left one to stop overflowing no matter how many times we clean it, fix float height etc... Thankfully it's down to a tiny drip so I can ride it.. but still!

She also got new air pods...

Attachment Shinynewairpods.JPG not found

'81 440 LTD.
'80 440 LTD. Parts bike
bekz
Attachments:

More
18 Aug 2011 12:50 #469742 by bekz
At this point she became road worthy and was put on the road as of July 12th! Not bad for a bike that wasn't ran for at least 14 years that I know of....

Attachment FirstdayonRoad.JPG not found

While learning to ride and mucking with the carbs she was kept at the shop where I had a large parking lot to not kill myself on....

Attachment Juststarting.JPG not found

While doing circles we ended up having to realign the levers and shifters a few times ... LOL I managed to not break a thing when I did drop her a few times and only got brusies.

'81 440 LTD.
'80 440 LTD. Parts bike
bekz
Attachments:

More
18 Aug 2011 12:54 #469743 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic The Grouchy Kaws Resurrection
welcome!

sounds like you about have it sorted out.

good luck and keep us posted,

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
18 Aug 2011 12:57 #469744 by bekz
She has since had new brake shoes put on and a 7inch headlight from another bike modified onto mine. Man were those old lights crappy!

Yesterday I replaced the speedo (again) to one that not only works but the odometer works too! I will now be able to figure out how far my gas tank gets! I took her for a test drive to ensure I hooked everything up properly and stopped at Boulovard Lake. (located in the middle of our city...)

Attachment BoulovardLake170811.JPG not found

I would still like to get something done to the seat as right now it's duct taped. I am burning a bit of oil so that needs to be looked at this winter. The carbs either need to be replaced or we gotta figure out what its problem is. I also want to paint her green this winter! Then she will really look like the grouchy kaw! Oh I also need to get into the master cylinder.. uck... So that's this winters line up so far.....

I also found a spare bike and picked it up on Tuesday! So now I may have that other carb I need and many other parts!.....

Attachment PickupSparebike.JPG not found

'81 440 LTD.
'80 440 LTD. Parts bike
bekz
Attachments:

More
18 Aug 2011 13:02 #469746 by bekz
Thanks Leon! Probably won't be a whole bunch more until winter.. although once I start digging into the spare parts bike I might throw my adventures with that one in here too.. LOL I'll add to her as I go... :)

'81 440 LTD.
'80 440 LTD. Parts bike
bekz

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
18 Aug 2011 14:26 #469766 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic The Grouchy Kaws Resurrection
welcome to z-jungle! i know we just met,but will you marry me? :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
18 Aug 2011 14:42 #469769 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic The Grouchy Kaws Resurrection

wireman wrote: welcome to z-jungle! i know we just met,but will you marry me? :woohoo:

Welcome to KZR...and be careful about "wireman"...this is not the first time he has proposed...

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
18 Aug 2011 15:53 #469782 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic The Grouchy Kaws Resurrection
here is a pic of a kz 400 that i have always liked.

kinda has the street tracker look.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:

More
18 Aug 2011 18:11 #469816 by bekz
:P Thanks wireman but I will have to respectfully say no..

And thanks for the warning Mcdroid along with the welcome... :laugh:

Thats a very pretty 400 leon... I'm looking to go an olive green. Not army green but kinda close.. I am hoping to tuck in her back lights and such and get a leaner look going but not sure how much stripping I wanna do as of yet...

'81 440 LTD.
'80 440 LTD. Parts bike
bekz

More
18 Aug 2011 22:25 #469874 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic The Grouchy Kaws Resurrection
That is a whole lot of work and a few bucks you had to lay down to get on the road. Eight days of work is amazing. It would have took me a month. Good job. roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000