78 kz400 build, where its gonna go nobody knows

• Shermanator86
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Aug 2011 10:26 #468182 by Shermanator86
So I picked up my kz400 b1 in May and it sat in my buddy's garage for quiet awhile while i started a new job and got some other stuff around in my life. well finally I got it home and have been riding it finally, still got alot of work to do on it but I'll post pics of what I have so far.

Here is pretty much what it looked like when I picked it up

Here is about two hours after we got it to my friends house

Here is the first paint idea we spray bombed out while waiting on parts

Wasn't a big fan of the big solid stripe so here is take two

New Daytona bars and oury grips from z1

And here is pretty much the prototype single carb intake, should be making a new one this week that is a bit shorter and has better flanges that dont leak

And this is how she sits tonight

other work thats been done has been new fork seals and wipers, and speedo cable. on the waiting list are new head light, signals, and led tail that are on order along with a clutch shaft oil seal, gasket kit, new front tire and getting the seat re-covered. also need to get the exhaust welded up, using stockers from an 82 ltd that had to be chopped off and added some pipe to get them to mount up as well as clearing the center stand.

Well thats where I am, trying to hustle to get it running good enough to make the three hour ride to the moto GP race in Indy at the end of the month so we'll see if that happens.

After I get her running I plan on riding her pretty much as is for the rest of the season, then this winter I plan on tearing into it completely, don't know what direction i want to go yet but have a few good ideas

'78 kz400b1 - work in progress

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2011 01:12 #468323 by bearshawk
Replied by bearshawk on topic 78 kz400 build, where its gonna go nobody knows
damn i am such a sucker for WHITE! and reds ok too (all 3 of my bikes are/were red at one point)

looks great man, i want a kz400 someday love those little twins

1978 kz650 sr- long time project/first bike mostly gone
1979 kz659 sr- new acquisition NEXT project GONE

Both 650s combined to make one great bike! with a new powerplant

it is a 79 frame, 78 front end, both 78 wheels and brakes, 78 body work and a 80' 750-4 motor with gpz 750 cams and a kerker and...

• Shermanator86
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Aug 2011 15:32 #468411 by Shermanator86
Replied by Shermanator86 on topic 78 kz400 build, where its gonna go nobody knows

bearshawk wrote: damn i am such a sucker for WHITE! and reds ok too (all 3 of my bikes are/were red at one point)

looks great man, i want a kz400 someday love those little twins

Thanks man, yea when i was deciding what color i wanted i just kept coming back to white just seemed right. the red isn't final yet just a rush rattle can job to try out some different things, the real paint job will be done this fall/winter

• Shermanator86
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Aug 2011 00:11 #469294 by Shermanator86
Replied by Shermanator86 on topic 78 kz400 build, where its gonna go nobody knows
Alright got my bike back with a proper made intake,

And here is whats on the menu for tomorrow, new headlight w/h4 bulb, new signals, and new led tail

• Shermanator86
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Aug 2011 08:16 #469707 by Shermanator86
head light and turns installed up from, rears are mocked up will get finished tonight

• Shermanator86
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Aug 2011 10:50 - 19 Aug 2011 10:53 #470011 by Shermanator86
well last night I actually felt like I made some headway on the bike and not just opening another can of worms. finished the license plate/ rear signal bracket, mounted and wired the rear signals and led tail, and went through the front brake as the caliber has been hanging up. also got the front wheel off and having the new tire put on today

new tail light and signals on home made bracket

how she sat at the end of the night

can't wait to get a lower profile seat on

Last edit: 19 Aug 2011 10:53 by Shermanator86.