'88 kz 305 rebuild

• duckseatfree
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jul 2011 17:48 #465739 by duckseatfree
'88 kz 305 rebuild was created by duckseatfree
Hi everyone! My first post.

So I recently got a 1988 Kawasaki kz 305 that was used for scraps but I'm going to start rebuilding it and hopefully have it up and running in a few weeks.

I hope you guys can help me out. I know nothing about motorcycles, but I have rebuilt a boat and the motor so I have some experience.

I don't really know too much about the model or if parts are interchangable for the earlier models (81,82,83).

So here is my first question. I noticed that it doesn't have the exhaust muffler pipes. I can't find them for an '88, but I did find some for an '81,'82...Could I use these?????

Any help, suggestions would be awesome!!!!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2011 19:42 #465746 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic '88 kz 305 rebuild
Hello, duckseatfree, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

Lots of good info on kawasaki.com, including parts diagrams, part numbers, models sharing same part, availability, etc.

Here's a link for help with navigating the site and finding information.

Click > kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=13&id=376734

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
29 Jul 2011 20:13 #465750 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic '88 kz 305 rebuild
Welcome aboard! Use Kawasaki.com as Patton suggests, it's VERY helpful. If you can't figure out how to use it ask us for help. You WILL need a Kawasaki Sevice Manual. There's one on eBay now that includes your year (it's important to get the exact manual for your bike as things change from year to year). Here's the link:

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Z250-Z3...fPartsQ5fAccessories

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• duckseatfree
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Jul 2011 22:08 #465771 by duckseatfree
Replied by duckseatfree on topic '88 kz 305 rebuild
Thanks for the help guys. It seems that it's only compatible with an '87, but for some reason, I really think that it should fit. I think I'm going to take the chance and see...

I won't have all my tools untill tomorrow night so I haven't been able disassemble yet...only very little. But, upon inspecting the fuel tank, I think there might be a little bit of rust inside. Do you guys know of anything that could clean that up? Would CLR do the job?