endo's 1977 KZ650

More
18 Jun 2011 15:41 #458039 by endo
endo's 1977 KZ650 was created by endo
I caved in and bought a KZ on Wednesday, I could NOT pass it up...got it for $100.

I've wanted a KZ for a long time, it's one of the bikes I had on my "must own" list.

It's a 1977 KZ650, just about 40,000kms on the clock. Here's the list of goodies:
- brand new carbs
- brand new headlight
- new taillight/signals, actually wired very nicely by PO, I'm not changing them
- tires, chain and sprockets are in ok shape (rideable)
- new fork seals and oil
-came with Haynes manual :)
- new mufflers and the headers have been wrapped (also very neatly)
- front brake master cylinder and caliper has been rebuilt, they feel great
- new grips

The PO is a friend of mine and he lost interest in the project. He's not the kind of guy to half ass a job, which is part of the reason the project stalled. He did not like the direction it was going and he wasn't willing to pay someone else to build his vision, so he just left it in the garage. It runs, but it fouls the plugs after a few minutes of running, so I have a little bit of mechanic playing to do.

For now, my immediate plans are to tidy things up, get a drag bar, mount the headlight and do a brat style seat. I just want something to ride while I finish the GSXR. Once the GSXR is done, the creative juices have been flowing on this....I have a set of ZX7R forks, several mono-shock swingarms, and many other cool bits that would be at home on this.

This is the direction I want to head with it...with a green tank and brown leather seat.

[img

[img

Yesterday I ordered a new battery, Dyna electronic ignition, and I got the drag bars mocked up. I have some work to do on that because I want to run the switch wires through the bars as they are right now.

If I have to explain, you won't understand.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2011 16:22 #458049 by gengomerpyle
Replied by gengomerpyle on topic endo's 1977 KZ650
damn good deal

1982 GPZ750R1 ELR
1978 Honda CB750F SuperSport
1971 Honda CB750K
1970 Honda CL100 Scrambler

More
23 Jun 2011 00:55 #458837 by endo
Replied by endo on topic endo's 1977 KZ650
Got a few things done tonight. Installed the new battery and she cranks over awesome, I'm very pleased with that. It wouldn't actually start but that doesn't concern me at this point. While I was cranking it, the carb overflows started flowing pretty good but at least it cranks good. I'll get the carbs off on the weekend and clean 'em up.

Started installed the drag bars, pretty happy thus far, though I have to figure something out for the bar switches, mine are broken (and plus, they're kinda ugly :)). The RH switch is easy but I've gotta figure something out for the LH side (signals, horn, lights, etc). Relatively happy with tonight's progress, hopefully get the Dyna S in on Friday.

More
04 Jul 2011 17:48 #461008 by endo
After some delays, I got a few things done yesterday and today.

Last night saw the removal of the carbs, and disassembly. They were very plugged up and gross. Green varnish all over the place and all the jets were plugged. That said, the carbs had definitely been rebuilt, all the parts inside were brand new. Got them reassembled today and installed onto the bike.

Also got the Dyna S installed and statically timed this morning. Charged the battery overnight, and after getting fuel into the carbs, she started right up. Runs VERY well, I'm extremely happy with how things are looking.

All that's really left to get it on the road is left on the front end stuff, barring the seat...

Upcoming to do list---
- seat pan/seat
- finish handlebar/switch install
- tidy up some wiring
- mount speedometer (keeping stock one, ditching the tach)
- mount and wire headlights
- mount and wire front signals

More
14 Jul 2011 02:33 #462773 by endo
Got the bars done tonight.

Started with the LH switch. The stock one was:
a) butt fucking ugly
b) broken
c) butt fucking ugly

I had the stock switch from my Katana parts bike which I intended to run on the 7/11. I found a new switch for the 7/11, so this was kicking around. Still, just in case, I didn't want to mod the switch at all.

I found some miscellaneous wiring in my "spare shit" pile and one of the connectors fit the Katana plug perfectly. It also had enough wires in it that I could adapt it to fit. I removed the pin connectors and wires from the housing and snipped the wires. These will be soldered to the wires removed from the stock KZ650 switch gear, so they'll plug back into the KZ harness without issue.

I started by mapping out my connections...left side of the pic is the KZ650 wiring and the Katana switch on the right.

Next, I snipped all the wire connectors and a couple inches of wiring from the end of the stock switch.

Next, lay out the wires I want to connect, match colours as best I can just so it makes sense. Now, solder and heat shrink.

As I finish each wire, I line up the connectors and plug the pin connector into the corresponding slot.

One step not shown, is that the KZ horn button grounded itself through the housing and handlebar. The new switch doesn't, so I ran an extra line into the connector housing and connected it to a ground on the frame. Easy.

Plug it into the bike and check for function. All worked awesome. The bundle got a nice rubber covering for the connector (removed from the chopped harness) and wrapped in electrical tape for aesthetics and cleanliness. LEFT SIDE DONE!

For the right side switch, the stock one would work fine, but needed surgery. With my new throttle and shorter drag bars, it wouldn't simply just fit into place. The stock switch housing is also the throttle housing and this adds about a half inch to its width. I don't need this, so out came the angle grinder and files. Zipped the extra bits off and filed 'em smooth. Made sure the wiring would fit real nice, and wrapped that all in tape as well, again for cleanliness. Plug 'er in and away we go...handlebar cleanup is DONE.

More
26 Feb 2012 11:03 #506419 by Rhoades
Replied by Rhoades on topic endo's 1977 KZ650
any updates?