Oh Crap.

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
More
13 May 2011 17:11 #450748 by Killman
Replied by Killman on topic Oh Crap.
Ok, pretty happy with things so far. Think I'm going to look into my options as fae as finishes on my cases and carbs. Might even take her in for a professional polishing the first time.

I can't figure out how to break down my rear shock absorbers for a clean and polish though. I don't want to put them back on with all that surface rust. My Clymer manual's no help and I've tried searching online. Can somebody give me a quick how-to?

And am I going to need some kind of adapting hardware to mount my new front signals to the headlight ears?

Going to spend the afternoon putting stuff ON the bike for a nice change of pace.

By the by, she seems to be running fine, as long as I let her warm up a little first. Going to get a new gel battery as funds allow.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 May 2011 06:00 - 15 May 2011 03:24 #450884 by Killman
Today was a good day.

Had one of those, "$#!+, I can't do this" afternoons.

Attachment IMG_1512.JPG not found

Forced myself to go back and work on other aspects.

Attachment IMG_1532.JPG not found

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 May 2011 03:24 by Killman. Reason: potty mouth

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 May 2011 02:06 #452311 by Killman
Swapped out my speedometer today. Hoping it's going to work. The old speedo had 4 wires, 2 for a "distance sensor". The new speedo only had 2 wires. Black & yellow, as well as Brown & White.

What I'm wondering is, will the new speedo function without the "distance sensor" connected?

Oh yeah, I tried punching my VIN # into Kawasaki.com and got nothing. Anyone else know how to track down my VIN info? The # is: JKAKZHD19DA0I0259

It'd be nice to know for sure which wiring diagram I should be using in the Clymer :blink: I've got the Kawasaki Owner's Manual, and the Assembly and Prep Manual on the way.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
20 May 2011 02:14 #452312 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Oh Crap.

Attachment popcorn_2011-05-20.jpg not found

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 May 2011 03:08 #452319 by Killman
Thanks Wireman, that was very helpful...:laugh:

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

More
20 May 2011 05:04 - 13 Feb 2012 18:31 #452327 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic .

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2012 18:31 by KZ250LTD.

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Aug 2011 21:32 #471271 by Killman
Thanks KZ250, found out she was an '83 when I tried to install some round front disc pads for an '82. :blink: Turns out the original paint-scheme was Luminous Midnight Red, judging from the bit showing under the seat. Just picked up a tank with that same original paint job on e-bay. Kinda cool to have that bit of old school on the way! Not sure if I want the matching side-panels, or if I want to stick with the NOS ebony side panels and emblems...

I decided to go with some dual filament aftermarket signals, which will let me set up front AND rear running lights. Just as soon as I teach myself how to splice into the wiring harness in back...:laugh: Any advice/tutoring would be MOST welcome!

Which leads me to my question of the day;

Is there any way to quickly replace my headlight ears? Without dropping the forks? I don't have a jack, and if I start propping her up on rubbish I'll probably get the landlord on my case for my parking-lot art. I got myself a new set of ears machined to take the new signal lights.

I seem to have accumulated enough spare parts over the summer to finish off another bike. I feel like Custer surrounded by indians. :laugh:

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

More
24 Aug 2011 08:33 - 22 Jan 2013 04:51 #471406 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic .
my mistake wrong one
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 04:51 by martin_csr.

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Mar 2012 22:32 #510933 by Killman
Yeesh. Been FAR too long since I did anything with the bike. Life just keeps on happening.

So, I'm pondering whether or not to swap out my Ltd fork uppers for some uppers from a B model, in an effort to drop the front end profile a bit. Any thoughts on life-threatening geometry changes?

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 May 2012 02:52 #523055 by Killman
This thing is a workhorse! Finally finished up my contract and have some time to work on the bike. As such, I toddled off to Canadian Tire for a whackload of goodies.

She's just been sitting for months, so starter fluid seemed like a plan. According to my how-to on motorcycle electrical systems I pretty much did everything humanly possible to kill my battery. Took 3 days on the charger to top it off. Figured my carbs were going to be a bowl of jello too.

Well after 20 minutes of farting around installing the battery and throttle assembly I hit the start button and she TRIED TO EAT EVERYTHING IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD !!! Holy CRAP!! :evil: Seems like I screwed up my throttle cable somehow, (sorry neighbours, but it sure sounded awesome). B)

Thought I'd throw up some pics of my freshly wrapped header pipes, (the ones that came with my Yoshi exhaust :silly: ) before I seal them with copper tomorrow. Gonna throw in a pic or so of my new inline fuel filter too. Hope everyone had as good a day as I did.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack
Attachments:

More
18 May 2012 07:45 #523065 by Medina
Replied by Medina on topic Oh Crap.

Get myself a pleasant surprise, in the form of a shiny spare key for the bike, hidden behind the lens cover.

I quit reading right there. Best. story. ever.

In a locked trunk of a basket case, found transfer orders for a guy in military intelligence, reciepts, all sorts of stuff, bike traveled from Berlin all over Europe back to Illinois

old jap bikes, RULE

1981 KZ1100 Vetter "Luminous Navy Blue" DAMN YOU COLOR CODES!
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread
www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/469298-from-ohio