new kz650 owner

More
09 May 2011 03:51 #449804 by M. WATKINS
new kz650 owner was created by M. WATKINS
Hi,

I have just a bought a very cheap, non running z650.

It was reported to have been stood for the last 13 years but after a good clean up i managed to get the points to work and produce a spark, i ran some gas into the carbs via a funnel and it started up..good news. (The tank is too rusty inside to run any gas through it.

this is the first bike of this age/kind i have owned and have a few questions, i would be most grateful if anyone had any advise for the following;

1) With the bike being stood for so long, i am positive the carbs will need stripping and then balancing - has anyone any tips or advice on this?

2) The bike has been out of the dmv's records for a long time, does anyone know how i go about getting it registered as there is absoloutely no paperwork with it?

3) Whats the best (easiest) product/method to de-rust a tank that is overall pretty solid?

4) I am not bad with the wrenches but more used to the later gpz models, what can i expect as typical issues with a 650 rebuild that has been standing for over a decade.

5) does anyone have a website they know of where i can enter the bikes frame or engine numbers and get a year of manufacture?

Many thanks, i think i am going to enjoy this.

Matt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2011 08:43 #449812 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic new kz650 owner
Welcome to the board! You should also check out the link below for lots of KZ650 info. Be sure to get a Kawasaki service manual (not Haynes or Clymer). eBay has them all the time; just be sure to get one that matches your exact year/model KZ650 as there are differences. Ed

models.kz650.info/index.htm

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
09 May 2011 09:39 #449819 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic new kz650 owner
If you look in the filebase you should find some good articles on Carb cleaning .

For the tank I'd seal the holes drop in couple packages of BB's wrap it up in a bunch of blankets stuff it in the clothes dryer and run it through a few cycles. Then I'd wash it out with water and then white vinegar. Don't forget to use an inline filter or your carb cleaning will go for naught.

As for registration woes they are different in different locations. if you put your location and bike info in your profile maybe some local members can help better.

The 650 is a great bike. It does sound like you have some work to do. Enjoy. One of the first things I do is to clean and tighten the electrical connections. I also do a full bike clean just so I can eyeball it for any structural problems and working on a clean bike just seems better to me. great people here with tons of experience. Most of them don't bite and have had all their shots.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
09 May 2011 10:02 #449825 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic new kz650 owner
Hello, M. WATKINS, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

Here's a link to a KZ650 site that includes a downloadable manual.
Scroll about 2/3rds down to "Service Manual."

jarlef.no/Kawasaki/Series/Z/650/z650files.htm

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
09 May 2011 10:34 #449829 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic new kz650 owner
Your location is a big deal when applying for a title as the laws vary quite a bit. But in general with no title and no DMV record you can easily get a salvage title for the bike and license it.

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

More
09 May 2011 22:33 #449953 by M. WATKINS
Replied by M. WATKINS on topic new kz650 owner
thanks all for the feedback and advice, its good to know there is so much good information out there - i do have a ways to go so will be back on here with questions again soon i'm sure.
for reference - i am in Ca, if that make a difference with the DMV i am not sure.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
09 May 2011 22:35 #449955 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic new kz650 owner
i think z1enterprises can get you in the ball park age wise,no title? ;)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
09 May 2011 22:57 #449960 by M. WATKINS
Hi, thanks for the advice...much appreciated...the tank cleaning method intriques me...also what are B.B's?

thanks again.

Matt.

More
09 May 2011 22:58 #449961 by M. WATKINS
no title i'm afraid...any nuggetts of advice for a restorations uch as this?

• Proxy
  • User
More
09 May 2011 23:08 #449965 by Proxy
BB's = ammo for a BB gun. Sometimes it's easier to extract them if you get steel BB's but make sure you get all the gas and fumes out of the tank before doing this. Maybe rinse a few times with vinegar before doing it. If you go with steel BB's you can use a magnet to help extract stubborn BB's. Wrap up the tank good so it tumbles but does not bang around in the dryer. Then half way through change it's orientation. The BB's will scale off the rust and polish the inside of the tank. Once it's done you need to get some gas in it so you don't get too much flash rust. But vinegar will take care of flash rust and not affect most paint. You might get an overwhelming desire for French Fries when you first start it tho.

• Proxy
  • User
More
09 May 2011 23:10 #449967 by Proxy
Cali? OhOh! There was some discussion just recently about the headaches of the Cali DMV just recently. Tell em what he's won boys.....

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
09 May 2011 23:23 #449968 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic new kz650 owner
a new cheap frame with a title,if he posts a picture so it can be narrowed down! :laugh:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.