Single Side Swing ARM???

More
23 Apr 2011 00:30 #446424 by MrScrubba56
Single Side Swing ARM??? was created by MrScrubba56
Alright so I've got my first KZ1000LTD finished (are they ever really finished?) Any way ive got the bug..I'm selling my 2007 Triumph Daytona 675 now and i was thinking of starting another KZ project bike. Anyway I'm putting plans together now for a Single side swingarm frame using a standard KZ frame with a Ducati swing arm and a 636 Ninja front end as a street fighter. Just wondering what your guys thoughts are on this. Have you ever seen or herd of it being done?

Here is My latest creation..( Notice the headlight missing..I had it off while the paint was drying..decided to paint it.)

77 KZ 1000 LTD
07 Triumph Daytona 675
82 Custom Shovel Head
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
23 Apr 2011 00:39 #446427 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Single Side Swing ARM???
Yeah, it's being done right now. See porchev914's build. He's using a Speed Triple swingarm. Be ready for lots of fabrication. Seems to me that there is another, less active member using a Duc swingarm, but haven't seen an update in a while. Here's the link to porchev914's build: Click me for single sided swingarm coolness!!!

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
23 Apr 2011 01:11 #446438 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Single Side Swing ARM???
Testarossa beat me to it! :P Fitting an existing production single sided swingarm will require signifigant modification of the frame, the swingarm, or both. If I'm not mistaken, the Duc arm pivots on the engine cases, so the arm needs to have that gap filled in a KZ frame. Feel free to ask me if you have any questions, and GOOD LUCK! :)

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
23 Apr 2011 01:17 #446439 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Single Side Swing ARM???
nice ltd B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrScrubba56

More
23 Apr 2011 01:33 #446445 by MrScrubba56
Replied by MrScrubba56 on topic Single Side Swing ARM???
It was my dads bike 30 odd years ago..he hung on to it passed it on to me when i turned 16 rode it a few years, and stuck it in the garage. he passed away back in 05 so i decided i would restore it and hang on to it..glad i did..its a 78 LTD..

Your are absolutely correct Porchev914..Even though I've got a Triumph 675 triple i had totally forgotten about the speed triple using the sssa..I am reading your forum post now..Happy to use you as a mentor if you'll allow it..Being that im a mechanic in the Army i have a full welding shop and machine shop in my building.. so the fabrication wont be so much the issue as the $$$ like with any build. We have been building bikes at our shop for a few years now ( After 4 oclock, not on the tax payers dime of course lol ) I have a pretty good start on it we have already made a few frame jigs and put together 4 custom bobbers and two sport bikes..I'm thinking it may be easier to custom build the whole frame but its not really the way i want to go with it. I want it to remain as stock as possible lol...or factory looking, if you dont know what your looking at that is..Last year we built a frame from the ground up on a shovel head i built. but i would like to find a KZ frame under a couple hundred bucks..shouldnt be an issue i wouldnt think..

77 KZ 1000 LTD
07 Triumph Daytona 675
82 Custom Shovel Head

• porchev914
  • User
More
23 Apr 2011 12:50 #446516 by porchev914
I sourced all my suspension parts used from ebay, junkyards or craigslist. My swingarm, rear wheel, rear shock and linkage totaled about $610, all purchased at different times. I like getting the best deal I can find, and as long as you're patient, you will find similar deals. I'll help anyway I can, but it sounds like you already have far more bike building experience than me, so you might not need to consult me as much as you think ;) Good luck though, I KNOW it wil look killer when you're done B)

FRANKEN Z!

More
23 Apr 2011 14:32 #446532 by MrScrubba56
Replied by MrScrubba56 on topic Single Side Swing ARM???
I'll take all the help I can get..building a frame jig and throwing together a little hardtail sporty frame is nothing compared tackling the geometry is on a sssa a 30 year old kz ...lol

77 KZ 1000 LTD
07 Triumph Daytona 675
82 Custom Shovel Head
The following user(s) said Thank You: kzbigrick

• porchev914
  • User
More
24 Apr 2011 13:48 #446739 by porchev914
My swingarm is from an '08 Speed Triple, and if I recall correctly, it was 285mm wide. I'm not sure what the width of the Duc arm is... I would ask another member here that is doing a Duc arm swap, but he hasn't been active for quite a while. The skinnier at the pivot, the easier it will be to fit. There is another member that was looking into fabricating his own single sided swingarm, so that is another option depending on your level of skill and experience. It sounds like you have all the tools you need at work.

FRANKEN Z!