My 82' 440 Cafe/Restoration Build

More
04 Apr 2011 14:06 - 16 Jan 2012 12:03 #442570 by M.B Co
My 82' 440 Cafe/Restoration Build was created by M.B Co
Started to tear into this little guy. Starting small so it's ridable this season. Even though I just started 2 weeks ago and it sat all winter...makes sense huh.

What I did so far:

-BikeMaster Euro Bars
-Sectioned stock rear signals (small LED replacements soon)
-Relocated front signals (small LED Replacements soon)
-Removed rear pegs, rear bar, front fender, reflectors,
-Pollished a few things, still need a deep cleaning
-Temporary LED Tail/Brake lights. Had them laying around, not a finished product

Plans:

Alot

How it sat before and now

And now

New Bars

Sectioned signals

Making brackets to mount this Hella Projector Light, I may or may not use this

Plenty of work to do

82' KZ440 Cafe'/Resto-Mod
Last edit: 16 Jan 2012 12:03 by M.B Co.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2011 14:37 #442587 by TNBOBBER
Replied by TNBOBBER on topic My 82' 440 Resto-Mod/Cafe/Whatever it is
Looking good, love the new bars. I went with led turn signals and had to buy a zero load blinker to get them to work. I just start my mods about 2 weeks ago and got it far enough along I could start riding. Bring on the warm sun shine. I'll keep working on it on the rainy days.

Sometimes God doesn't calm the storm, He calms us in the storm.

More
04 Apr 2011 14:44 #442591 by M.B Co
Replied by M.B Co on topic My 82' 440 Resto-Mod/Cafe/Whatever it is

TNBOBBER wrote: Looking good, love the new bars. I went with led turn signals and had to buy a zero load blinker to get them to work. I just start my mods about 2 weeks ago and got it far enough along I could start riding. Bring on the warm sun shine. I'll keep working on it on the rainy days.

Thanks. Ya, I need to pick one of those up along with everything else. I will collect parts and do them when the time is right. I also need to mount my license plate bracket I made. Pics to follow when I get that done.

More
04 Apr 2011 14:49 - 11 Feb 2013 18:27 #442593 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -
-
Last edit: 11 Feb 2013 18:27 by martin_csr.

More
04 Apr 2011 15:36 #442601 by M.B Co
I've seen alot of smaller bikes without a front fender so I don't know for sure if it has a technical difference. Granted the bike will be mostly a fun commuter with some weekend rides.

More
05 Apr 2011 17:41 #442801 by TNBOBBER
Replied by TNBOBBER on topic My 82' 440 Resto-Mod/Cafe/Whatever it is
The thing I like about these type mods, their cheap or even better, FREE! That was a great idea on shorting up your blinkers, for a different look. Keep up the good work and post your pics.

Sometimes God doesn't calm the storm, He calms us in the storm.

More
06 Apr 2011 18:12 #443043 by M.B Co
Will do. Trying to get by on cheap but with my plans changing and the things I want...I'm going to have to give in a shell out some. Oh well, I have 2 other projects I am working on buying parts for.

More
21 Apr 2011 15:11 #446082 by M.B Co
Hopefully going to tear into the rear and the seat someime soon. Without the front fender I could not tell a difference from handling. Other that hitting some water it flings everywhere. But that makes for an excuse to clean it up....

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
21 Apr 2011 19:14 #446129 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic My 82' 440 Resto-Mod/Cafe/Whatever it is
If you look into your front fender you will see that it has a fork brace built in. The ltd's have a slightly extended fork and they can easily twist. If they do this at speed it's almost like harmonics and you can get into a headshake or tank slapper. Let me tell you they are no fun and sometimes they don't go away once started. It is your bike and your choice. As long as you are informed you can make the choice. You can get stand alone tweek bars (brace) if you like the open look. Another thing is the funky feel going through water where someone is watering their lawn or washing their car and running it in the road. Your face and glasses will get a nice oily road grime misting/facial. Just FYI

Bike looks nice tho. Will be a fun rider. Good luck.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
22 Apr 2011 12:41 #446295 by M.B Co

Proxy wrote: If you look into your front fender you will see that it has a fork brace built in. The ltd's have a slightly extended fork and they can easily twist. If they do this at speed it's almost like harmonics and you can get into a headshake or tank slapper. Let me tell you they are no fun and sometimes they don't go away once started. It is your bike and your choice. As long as you are informed you can make the choice. You can get stand alone tweek bars (brace) if you like the open look. Another thing is the funky feel going through water where someone is watering their lawn or washing their car and running it in the road. Your face and glasses will get a nice oily road grime misting/facial. Just FYI

Bike looks nice tho. Will be a fun rider. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. And no, I didn't notice that. But now that I know I will start to cut up the stock fender and make it smaller and utilize that fork brace. I do like the open look of no fenders. But rather be safe and avoid any issues in the future. As I do ride alot of highway and backroads.

Or I may even swap to a different fork to where I won't need a fender for any purpose. Either way I'll figure out something.

More
25 Apr 2011 14:30 #446956 by M.B Co
Shaved down the seat so it's flat. Need to fix a few spots and alter the cover so it fits better. cut the mufflers off. Going to weld on some small slant cut tips for a clean look.

Gave it a whole new look. Now maybe going for a SuperMoto theme. But not sure.

Video Walk Around

More
29 Dec 2011 19:38 #495202 by M.B Co
Havn't done much to it. Hard to find time.

New signals, new chain, flipped bars