'78 KZ650B cafe/street project. Nuttin fancy...

More
15 May 2011 18:46 #451257 by BURLEIGH
Well, progress is going a little slow, but here is a short update...

I got the forks rebuilt with new seals 15w oil and progressive springs, put new tapered pin bearings in the neck and sorted out the brakes. I had to make some spacers for the disks because I didn't want to had to cut any more material off the back side of the calipers to get them lined up, but the spacers worked out well... I made the brackets for the top caliper ears and have got one side completely installed whit the caliper back together. ( I had taken them completely apart to machine them...) I put the forks and painted triple trees back together and installed and have got the handle bars painted and back on. I also got some aftermarket aluminum headlight brackets and have the headlight bucket mocked up. I can't decide weather to get rid of the speedo and tack or not. I like the look without them, but I also like to be able to watch my speed when in areas know for radar activity... :-) I still have to put the other caliper back together and finish up the rear tail wiring and just button things up a bit to be able to ride again! I will still be messing with it here and there and will start in on the engine this winter, but am anxious to get back on two wheels soon!!!

A few pixies...

aluminum caliper adapters

caliper spacer

I'll keep this updated as I go...

Thanks!
Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2011 00:55 #451348 by Kawi // Twin
Replied by Kawi // Twin on topic '78 KZ650B cafe/street project. Nuttin fancy...
Jealous of your upgraded brakes, but maintaining the spoked wheel. Can't wait till you tell us how it stops. You may want to consider a fork brace with the upgraded suspension and brakes.

www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-Fork-Braces/Categories

Cheers!

1978 KZ650 B2
forums.kz650.info/index.php?topic=3569.0

2009 Kawasaki 650R - yes it is a Ninja, but not really

1985 Ninja 900 or GPz900 for everyone else outside the USA

1984 Ninja 900 for restoration

More
16 May 2011 10:06 #451412 by BURLEIGH

Kawi // Twin wrote: Jealous of your upgraded brakes, but maintaining the spoked wheel. Can't wait till you tell us how it stops. You may want to consider a fork brace with the upgraded suspension and brakes.

www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-Fork-Braces/Categories

Cheers!

Thanks! I don't know if I'd do it again, but it has been fun figuring it out...

I do have a fork brace, look at the 7th pic down in my last post... It's an ATK brace that I picked up NOS off fleabay for $40 shipped to my door! I haven't checked to see if it clears the fender yet, but I think it will. We'll see...

More
16 May 2011 10:41 #451424 by 650ed
What is the condition of the original exhaust? What do you plan to do with it when you get the SuperTrapp system? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
16 May 2011 11:00 #451430 by BURLEIGH

650ed wrote: What is the condition of the original exhaust? What do you plan to do with it when you get the SuperTrapp system? Ed

The headers are great, but the right side muffler has a small hole in the very bottom of it... They are great for a daily ride, but a far cry from show bike quality. When I get the new exhaust done, you could have them for the shipping cost.

-Richard

More
19 May 2011 23:47 #452271 by BURLEIGH
Well, I pulled 'er out of the garage just to see how she looked in the daylight... I still have a lot to finish up and I don't think I'll even take the time to do the paint this season cause I'm too anxious to ride!!!

The brakes turned out very well. I am waiting on my braided stainless line to come in as the original lines were a tad too short :-(, but it was a good excuse for another upgrade!!! LOL!

I took it around the block and the new suspension seems very solid. We'll see once I get it out on the road though.

Here's a few pics for the inquiring...

-Richard

More
19 May 2011 23:58 #452274 by Kawi // Twin
Replied by Kawi // Twin on topic '78 KZ650B cafe/street project. Nuttin fancy...
Looks really nice. I can understand why you want to just ride it! I guess the fork brace did not fit over the fender? BTW, what handlebars are those? Have fun with her!

1978 KZ650 B2

More
20 May 2011 00:38 #452284 by BURLEIGH
Thanks Man!

I actually haven't tried the brace since I put the fender on yet... Did you notice how I had to relocate the fender braces??? It worked out great. The new calipers were in the way and I thought I may not even be able to put them back on, but they lined up almost perfectly with the fender mounting bolts. All I had to do is to bend the ends over a bit...

I made the handle bars out of some 3/4" standard pipe. They are a hair smaller in diameter, but it was very easy to just shave a little off anything that mounts to them and they worked out perfectly. I sat on the bike and put my hands where they were the most comfortable, then made the bars to fit me... The way I made them worked well too as the wiring is still tucked neatly inside the bars!

-Richard

More
22 May 2011 23:22 - 22 May 2011 23:25 #452926 by BURLEIGH
Well I got the fork brace on and it looks great!

I am still waiting on my braided stainless brake lines for the front calipers, but I just couldn't pass up the perfect riding weather we had yesterday and logged about 150 miles!!! She did great considering I only had the rear brake... I used the engine to slow 'er down quite a bit though.

Here are a couple pics from the trip. I should've found some spots with a better background, but ohwell...

I'll update as soon as I get the brake lines in and test those six pot calipers out!

-Richard
Last edit: 22 May 2011 23:25 by BURLEIGH.

More
22 May 2011 23:24 #452928 by Kawi // Twin
Most Excellent!!!

1978 KZ650 B2

More
22 May 2011 23:32 #452930 by BURLEIGH

Kawi // Twin wrote: Most Excellent!!!

Thanks Buddy!

I can't wait to feel those front brakes!!!

I ordered the lines from Summit Racing. They should be here on Wednesday...:)

More
30 May 2011 23:43 - 30 May 2011 23:46 #454437 by BURLEIGH
No new pics at the moment, but I finally got the rest of the parts for the front brakes on and took it out for a good ride with my brother-in-law and his ZX6R today. Let's just say that it's as if it never had front brakes and now it DOES!!!!! WOW! does it stop now... It took a while to get all the air out of those monster calipers though... Had to put the vacuum down and go the old fashioned route and pump the lever...

The only complaint I have now is that the front end seems to dive a lot more than I expected it too with the new springs and oil in the forks. Wonder if I did something wrong??? I had never rebuilt forks before, but it seemed pretty straight forward. All I did was pull the old springs out, drain the old oil, rinse them out with solvent, put the new springs in and added the new 15w oil... Sound right??? Or, maybe its just that those brakes really grab...???

I'll get some more pics posted after I get some paint done and take it to some nice backdrops...

-Richard
Last edit: 30 May 2011 23:46 by BURLEIGH.