'79 Kz400

• Robwolf
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It's ugly, but it moves!
More
13 Mar 2011 10:51 #437672 by Robwolf
'79 Kz400 was created by Robwolf
I got this old KZ400 on Jan 1. Best New Years Day evar! She didn't run. Apparently had an electrical issue because there was no spark, but for $300 I couldn't pass it up. I was certain that I could figure it out, even though it's my first bike.
The plugs, wires and boots were new, so that ruled them out. The coil tested fine so, let that be. Breaker points looked a little rough, replaced them. $15 for points and condenser, popped them in and had spark! After some vigorous kicking, since the electric start makes an awful grinding sound after a couple of cranks, she roared into life.
I don't have a picture of what it looked like on Jan 1, but I have one that's pretty close. The guy had put some sort of luggage rack on the back and mounted the tail light to it. That came off the very next day and it looked like this:

'79 Kz400H1 'cafe' and '94 En500 Vulcan in swampy Florida.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Robwolf
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Mar 2011 10:52 #437673 by Robwolf
Replied by Robwolf on topic '79 Kz400
After getting it to work and putting all the parts that would make it legal and or safe, it looked like this:

Attachments:

• Robwolf
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Mar 2011 10:56 #437676 by Robwolf
Shiny yes, but pitted in places, rusted tank and, seriously? Rustolium on everything?! That's gotta go! Removed tank, sanded it down to the metal, primed, painted, coated. Did the same to the fender and side panels. This looks much better.

Attachments:

• Robwolf
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Mar 2011 11:04 #437677 by Robwolf
I gotta do something about that seat. I would like clubmans or clip ons. Rearsets perhaps. A proper cafe tail would be sexy, and I've got concepts drawn up for a Nose Art styled tank babe.