82 KZ650 CSR into Bobber

More
15 Mar 2011 07:52 - 11 Feb 2013 18:24 #438124 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -
-
Last edit: 11 Feb 2013 18:24 by martin_csr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Proxy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
15 Mar 2011 13:20 #438170 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic 82 KZ650 CSR into Bobber
Cut the frame for bobber today.

I cut where the arrows are and then took the back section and ground off the welds. I then slipped it into the front section and it's ready to weld. Fits like a glove. It's really not a stressed member but it will help a little. It also provides a place to mount my stop light and plate. I also tackled the headlight but the bracket is trashed. I bought a different bracket but I will have to fab a 1 inch spacer since it needs to be lower and the mounting holes are different. Should be an easy fab. I also cut the back plastic inner fender (see picture) and mounted it to protect the electricals from splash and rocks. A good day.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
19 Mar 2011 02:29 #438886 by sicma99ot
Replied by sicma99ot on topic 82 KZ650 CSR into Bobber
thats exactly what i did. fits the butt pretty good and even some room to move around.

• Proxy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Mar 2011 15:39 - 19 Mar 2011 15:43 #438965 by Proxy
LINK

The Who.... Boris the Spider

Last edit: 19 Mar 2011 15:43 by Proxy.

• Proxy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Mar 2011 10:51 - 21 Mar 2011 10:53 #439394 by Proxy
THE SEAT

There it sits. Unaware that soon, very soon it will be attacked.

THE WEAPONS

1960's Electric Carving Knife and an Electric Engraver. The seat suspects something is up and makes for a getaway. TOO LATE!!! The cover is removed using a screwdriver a hammer and an ice pick to bend up the little triangle clips holding it on. With the cover off to the side I turn my destructive abilities on the foam. I make a cardboard template for the curve of the back of the seat I want and using a marker I trace it on both sides to be even. Now with a surgeon's precision I start removing seat meat. With my balls set on max I remove the bulk in one hideous cut. Then I shave down to my marks. A little trimming and ....damn I'm good!!! Now I reach for the grinder with the metal cutting wheel. I felt like OCC Paul Jr cutting that pan. I used the engraver to mark my path. It's over in seconds. I de-burr the edge and inspect. Now I use the molding that was on the seat that smoothes the edge and makes it less likely the edge will cut through the seat leather. Car door trim can be substituted also.

THE TERRIBLE RESULTS REVEALED

Now to paint the pan and give to the upholsterer.

COMMING SOON The seat returns from the upholsterer!

Last edit: 21 Mar 2011 10:53 by Proxy.

• Proxy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Mar 2011 17:47 - 21 Mar 2011 18:40 #439471 by Proxy
Can anyone identify this 4 into 1? I think it may be a Mac but not sure. It came on the greenie bike but I may harvest it for on the bobber since I'm putting a original on the B1. The bobber exhaust has some nasty acid staining and rust on one side and the 4 into 1 is only in need of a paint job. But I'd like to know what kind it is.

NEVERMIND I GOT IT ID'D IT IS A MAC.

Last edit: 21 Mar 2011 18:40 by Proxy. Reason: I found my answer.

More
21 Mar 2011 18:42 #439488 by Marneman
Replied by Marneman on topic 82 KZ650 CSR into Bobber
Nice job on the seat chop! I am going to tackle a similar process on my 82 LTD seat. It's always good to see someone else accomplish it first :laugh: Nice job man.

77 KZ1000-A1 "Bushido" Project
82 KZ1000 LTD "Terri Lee"

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!

• Proxy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Mar 2011 09:20 #439655 by Proxy
It was pretty easy. Take your time and plan it. Bending out the little metal triangles that holds the cover is a PITA. take your time. My upholsterer said if they break don't sweat it because they will use oversize rivets but I did get them all to come up without breaking. If you are cutting foam I highly recommend the electric knife. And use a template to mark the foam. I made a cardboard template and used the shock top and seat top to mark on the radius it's location on the foam. Then just carried the marks to the other side of the cardboard to re align on the other side of the foam so both would be equal. The upholsterer said if it needed to be adjusted with more foam they would do it. I was lucky my foam was in pretty good shape. I used an old carbide engraving tool to mark the pan to just under where the foam came back. I guess a black sharpie would have worked as well but I used electricity and an old unused thingy so I get bonus points. I bought a nice new cutting wheel for my 4 inch hand grinder and cut through that pan like butter. Used a file to de-burr. Paint the pan with Rustolium, replace the trim stripping and Bob's your Uncle it's off to the upholsterer. He will use the rest of the seatcover to patch in the back so no material needed. He quoted me $75 and about 4-5 days. Now we have had about a dozen seats done by him over the years and all have been very nice. So I expect this seat to be the same. If it is I will post it here. If not, well, never happened. It was all a dream. You should have not have had that Grande' Burritio before bed. ;)

• Proxy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Mar 2011 17:38 #440175 by Proxy
Parts are starting to come in and I am putting them on for mockup. Here are the new headlight brackets.

They set the light out a little farther from the forks and I can raise and lower them. I kind of like them lower as then you can see the chrome gauge bottoms better. I have the lower handlebars on her and the new brake reservoir. Just waiting on the seat and the back light. Then I'll pick some directionals and start thinking about paint. I kind of like this too.

Camo/Army green surrounded by black.

• Proxy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Mar 2011 16:03 #440999 by Proxy
While waiting for the seat to return from the upholsterer (his father had a heart attack and he got behind..says by the end of this week) and waiting for my back light to get here I got to playing again. Took an old KZ fender and cut it to make a little bob fender. It's kind of growing on me. Speaking of back ends that is my uncles dog's just in case you were wondering.....:huh:

• Proxy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Apr 2011 17:08 #444608 by Proxy
Whew! Been cleaning up the wiring and getting directionals and back light mounted. Touched up the frame and flushed the front brakes. Just got new chain and sprockets from Z1 Ent. Man those guys ship fast and they were great answering my questions. +1 company. I did the 530 conversion with a RX chain. Ordered a Bridgestone Sport/Tour 130/90/16 piece of meat for the rear. I don't know what PO used on the chain but it was the stickiest messy crap that was all over everything. Now I am looking at the exhaust and I see some patching underneath so I might have to go with the MAC4-1 I have. Glad I have not done the carbs yet. Still need to strip and paint tank and side covers too. Progress is slow as my back which I broke a couple years ago seems to be not too happy with me right now. Between that and taking my father to Chemo put me at a snail pace. Pictures soon.

More
14 Apr 2011 17:16 #444610 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic 82 KZ650 CSR into Bobber
where did you find that front MC and what brand is it?

I have a cheap one on my 550 that needs to be taken out back and shot.