KZ1000 Police Chopper

More
18 Feb 2011 05:46 #431477 by pennmktg
KZ1000 Police Chopper was created by pennmktg
Hey folks. So I started with a 94 KZ1000 Police P-13. The bike was in pretty good shape but hadn't run for a bit. Had good compression on all cylinders around 95 Lbs each. Had to pull a few bowls do some cleaning to hear it run before tearing it all to hell. I found an old (not sure if I'm spelling this right) Pachuco rigid frame originally built for a Honda CB750. The rear wheel assembly fits perfect. I have to trim a bit of the sprocket cover to make the engine fit in the frame but no problem there. I cut the neck off the kz then cut the cups off of each end. Then welded 1 1/2" pipe between them to make a clean new neck to weld to the Pachuco frame and use the kz front end on it. I'll take some photos and post them for all to see. This is my first ever Kawasaki anything so wish me luck. Does anyone know the minimal wiring required to make it run?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2011 06:00 #431487 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic KZ1000 Police Chopper
95 psi isnt much compression,throttle wide open when checking?

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
18 Feb 2011 06:04 #431489 by pennmktg
Replied by pennmktg on topic KZ1000 Police Chopper
To be honest I've never worked on one of these before. Does it make a difference with the throttle open? I didn't open it when checking. What should it have?
Thanks!

More
18 Feb 2011 06:06 #431492 by PLUMMEN
130 would be a much better number B)

More
18 Feb 2011 06:09 #431494 by pennmktg
I just figured since it had been sitting a while that the rings were a little out of seat. Plan on running a little atf through it once I get the whole thing up and running and see if that helps a bit. Of course I'm a heavy equipment mechanic and welder so this is all a learning experiance for me.

More
18 Feb 2011 06:12 #431495 by PLUMMEN
combustion is combustion,just remember those are spark plugs not glow plugs! :laugh:

More
18 Feb 2011 17:20 #431631 by pennmktg
I bought this bike through Craigslist for 400 bucks. It's an early 70's Pachuco chopper built for a Honda CB750 engine. I completely took it apart and cut out the engine mounts and any extra tabs that I don't need. Still have a few little ones to remove. Not going to use the tank, seat, or tins. Going to get new ones more to my liking.
Plan to use a 6" flat trailer style fender and bob it off. I found a tank that's thin and stretched with flat sides and a slightly rounded top tapering down to the seat pan. The tank should really compliment the flat rear fender. I may use a simple chrome front fender for that old school look. Really going Mad Max. The rest of the bike will be all flat black with maybe some pinstriping. Plan to make a matching sidecar all roll cage with no sheet metal. Just a racing bucket seat with 4 point harness and a pollished aluminum diamond plate floor board. Really Mad Max!
Attachments:

More
18 Feb 2011 17:22 - 18 Feb 2011 17:26 #431632 by pennmktg
Here is the frame with the KZ1000 engine sitting in the basket. I have to trim a little of the sproket cover in order to fit it in the frame. I only gave 500 bucks for the KZ Police donor bike so right now I only have $900 in the whole project. I expect to spend an additional $600 before completion. Not bad for an old school chopper.:woohoo:
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Feb 2011 17:26 by pennmktg.

More
18 Feb 2011 17:23 #431633 by pennmktg
I cut the neck off the KZ with a torch. Then I took it over to the band saw and cut the cups off each end. I welded 1 1/2" steel pipe between the cups to make a clean new neck that fits the KZ front end. I'll give it a little rake when I weld it to the frame.
Attachments: