Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Joe's '78 kz1000 build 17 Dec 2010 05:54 #417383

• Old Man Rock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225
hmmmm... Since I have the day off Uncle Larry, I'll play...

Ok, the orange piston is a give me, not there... Missing rings but yeah, could be that they were just removed for this image and that would be just too easy.... Hmmm...

So, possibly due to camera to object angles giving a deceiving perspective but I'm thinking the difference in 2/3 piston/rod distances/lengths not being the same....

Or is it the piston on the tape measure seems to be a different type.. Not sure on this one...

Who's next?
1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Old Man Rock.

Joe's '78 kz1000 build 17 Dec 2010 07:29 #417390

• kz1k
  • kz1k's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
  • Thank you received: 0
Old Man Rock wrote:

hmmmm... Since I have the day off Uncle Larry, I'll play...

Ok, the orange piston is a give me, not there... Missing rings but yeah, could be that they were just removed for this image and that would be just too easy.... Hmmm...

So, possibly due to camera to object angles giving a deceiving perspective but I'm thinking the difference in 2/3 piston/rod distances/lengths not being the same....

Or is it the piston on the tape measure seems to be a different type.. Not sure on this one...

Who's next?

omr the rings arent missing. i didnt take the rings off until i removed the pistons. so you can scratch that one off. and if ya think your ganna "scare me" by telling me i have to cut and weld....mmmmmm NO. :laugh:

im not going to spend the time and $ on getting my bike half assed the way everyone else thinks it should be. when you pay for my parts then you can tell me what i can and cant do.
1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

Last edit: by kz1k.

Joe's '78 kz1000 build 17 Dec 2010 07:31 #417391

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 519
That's rust. This engine was sitting with no spark plug in that middle cylinder. Wonder if the rod roller bearings are pitted?
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Joe's '78 kz1000 build 17 Dec 2010 07:36 #417392

• Old Man Rock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225
Holly shit here we go again... Wasn't telling you anything regarding what you can or can't do...

But what I was doing for you was providing you some heads up on what others have had to do regarding the ZX7 swingarm mods (stretching the frame) and other issues regarding frame mod requirements. All of which your powder coating will be ruined...

But that's cool... Good luck in your project...
1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

Joe's '78 kz1000 build 17 Dec 2010 07:42 #417393

• kz1k
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
Old Man Rock wrote:

Holly shit here we go again... Wasn't telling you anything regarding what you can or can't do...

But what I was doing for you was providing you some heads up on what others have had to do regarding the ZX7 swingarm mods (stretching the frame) and other issues regarding frame mod requirements. All of which your powder coating will be ruined...

But that's cool... Good luck in your project...

i know the powder coat is a gonner...its ok with me. i paid just over a c-note to have it done. my 100 dollar mistake. i could bite the bullet and keep this coat of powder, or build the bike of my dreams and spend another 100 bucks later to have it coated again. dont get your panties in a bunch. thanks for the good luck on my project. your bike is acually what inspired me to change the look of my kz. then i saw larrys and jizzed my pants. i got all the time in the world, so all the people telling me to slap it all back together so i can ride.....stop, im not missing anything by not riding today. this will be my first bike.
i am still waiting on my swingarm and shock in the mail. the tire was local, so i grabbed it yesterday. this will be a slow process but non the less worth it in the end. i was hoping i could get the frame work and suspension done first, then the motor work last. i hope this will all pan out. Joe
1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

Joe's '78 kz1000 build 17 Dec 2010 07:44 #417394

• kz1k
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
as far as stretching the frame, you meen spreading the frame, making it wider or making it longer?
1978 KZ1000A2

Joe's '78 kz1000 build 17 Dec 2010 08:54 #417404

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Wider. But if you read through Adam's (Porchev914) thread you'll realize this will cause twisting and distortion in the rest of the frame when you do it so you will need to rig up some sort of frame jig to make sure everything goes back together lined up.

Joe's '78 kz1000 build 17 Dec 2010 09:01 #417405

• kz1k
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
DoubleDub wrote:

Wider. But if you read through Adam's (Porchev914) thread you'll realize this will cause twisting and distortion in the rest of the frame when you do it so you will need to rig up some sort of frame jig to make sure everything goes back together lined up.

thanks dd will do. i remember seeing adams jig.
1978 KZ1000A2

Joe's '78 kz1000 build 17 Dec 2010 12:06 #417435

• kz1k
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
just got back from reading all of adams thread on his great project. also just got off the phone with him as he told me that i would not have to do near as much fabrication that he did. that was music to my ears...lol
1978 KZ1000A2

Joe's '78 kz1000 build 17 Dec 2010 13:03 #417439

• kz1k
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
:S posting pictures took a dump today?
1978 KZ1000A2

Attachments:

Joe's '78 kz1000 build 17 Dec 2010 13:08 #417440

• kz1k
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
ill try again.....

:(
1978 KZ1000A2

Attachments:

Joe's '78 kz1000 build 17 Dec 2010 16:24 #417479

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
  • Thank you received: 19
The wheel looks like its the same size as the frame :laugh:

Easy there Joe, OMR wasn't attacking you. He was merely pointing out some of the many obstacles that are overlooked by someone undertaking a bike build like this for the first time. That, and perhaps pointing out a slight lack of forsight and/or impulsiveness by chopping up a freshly powdercoated frame :P But hey, we all blow money on mistakes....I know I have :blush:

As far as the suggestions to assemble your bike in a stock configuration and get some seat time, I was one of the ones to make that recommendation as well. None of us make that suggestion to keep you from building the bike you want. far from it, it is an educated opinion of owners/riders/fabricators of these bikes that know first hand it can take YEARS to complete a build of this magnitude. Hell, I wish I had simply rebuilt my engine and assembled the bike to ride it while I planned out and accumulated parts for the frame/suspension work.

But just like everyone else here, it's your bike, so you get to do whatever your heart desires ;)
FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end