73 Z1 finally on the road

More
16 Jan 2011 18:43 #422817 by BadAssRX7
73 Z1 finally on the road was created by BadAssRX7
well after about 8 months of messing with the guy across from me's bike we put her on the road. He got it new back in the day and road it a lot then about 20 years ago he parked it for some reason. well after a nice chunk of $ and messing with a few issues we got it all worked out... or 95% anyways its still got a poping when at idle and cold but its just a detail to work out.
heres a pic of them today. He musta rode for 3 hours on Sat. and thanked me time after time.

[img

larry on 73 z1 by BadAssRX-7 , on Flickr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2011 18:57 #422824 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic 73 Z1 finally on the road
Nice bike.

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL

More
16 Jan 2011 22:55 #422877 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic 73 Z1 finally on the road
You are a nice neighbor for helping him...he's made many change on the bike and it looks good.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
17 Jan 2011 06:53 - 17 Jan 2011 06:56 #422907 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 73 Z1 finally on the road
Looks like a "Rack Factory" aluminum luggage carrier, one of the lightest and strongest ever.
Wish they were still in business.
Used one while touring during the gas shortage, carrying a 7 gallon jerrycan plus two 1 gas cans all full of gasoline. A heavy load, and with nary a whimper from the rack.

The rack came with removable amply padded back rest in either tall or short version.
The carrying surface was either metal strips, rough finish or sturdy hardwood strips.

Noting among other bike mods what appears to be air shocks, rear brake conversion from drum to disc, and conversion to dual front discs (drilled). Mags (possibly Morris). Cruise pegs.

Recalling fond memories. :cheer:

If not already done, invite him to join us here at KZr.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 17 Jan 2011 06:56 by Patton.

More
17 Jan 2011 13:34 - 17 Jan 2011 13:37 #423015 by BadAssRX7
Replied by BadAssRX7 on topic 73 Z1 finally on the road
Patton wrote:

Looks like a "Rack Factory" aluminum luggage carrier, one of the lightest and strongest ever.
Wish they were still in business.
Used one while touring during the gas shortage, carrying a 7 gallon jerrycan plus two 1 gas cans all full of gasoline. A heavy load, and with nary a whimper from the rack.

The rack came with removable amply padded back rest in either tall or short version.
The carrying surface was either metal strips, rough finish or sturdy hardwood strips.

Noting among other bike mods what appears to be air shocks, rear brake conversion from drum to disc, and conversion to dual front discs (drilled). Mags (possibly Morris). Cruise pegs.

Recalling fond memories. :cheer:

If not already done, invite him to join us here at KZr.

Good Fortune! :)

dont know the brand of the rack but its all welded and is STRONG. its got grip tape on the top.
a vetter fairing, dual drilled front rotors and rear was swaped to a drilled rotor also... all with s.s. lines. spot on with the mags. has a dyna ing setup and solid NGK plug boots. air shocks, dont think its stock pipes. hwy pegs. and not the oem carbs something a few years newer... has a excelirater pump on 1 carb that feeds all 4. and a good upgrade from the shop that redid them. Redline i think is who did them. he had a monster old school chain setup like 600's i mean it was almost an inch wide.... swaped that out for new stuff from sidewinder.
Last edit: 17 Jan 2011 13:37 by BadAssRX7.

More
26 Jan 2011 23:15 #425990 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic 73 Z1 finally on the road
It'd be awesome to get the specs on the rack. I'm toying with the idea of a CA to PA to CA ride in a few months, I was thinking about getting creative with an old grab rail.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
28 Jan 2011 13:31 #426547 by BadAssRX7
Ill see if i can get a few pics of the rack with a ruler to help you with that trip.

And I told the owner about this post and he has signed up but when he tryes to login via the email it wont let him. guess i need to tell a mod.

More
28 Jan 2011 16:29 #426570 by P21
Replied by P21 on topic 73 Z1 finally on the road
that was nice to help a former rider to get back on the bike ,you did good man.

bike looks great

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21

More
30 Jan 2011 14:54 #427166 by mtbspeedfreak
Patton wrote:

You mean the Summer of '11 gas shortage? :S

2000 ZRX 1100

More
30 Jan 2011 14:56 #427167 by mtbspeedfreak
BadAssRX7 wrote:

Ill see if i can get a few pics of the rack with a ruler to help you with that trip.

And I told the owner about this post and he has signed up but when he tryes to login via the email it wont let him. guess i need to tell a mod.

If it's not too much trouble, that would be great! I can't quite see, but it looks like the grabrail was removed in lieu of the rack, correct?

2000 ZRX 1100

More
30 Jan 2011 15:16 #427170 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 73 Z1 finally on the road
I've got a black Rack Factory on my 1982 GPz1100 B2, purchased a few days after I bought ny bike.

Yes, the grab rail is removed as one of the mounting points would be where the grab rail went.

I re-inforced my rack by using some rectangular aluminum tubing attached to a license plate mount I made out of 6061 aluminum plate.I've used aircraft Hi-lok hardware to mount the aluminum tubing to the license plate.

The upper tubing mount going to the rack is held by 1/4-28 aircraft nut plates(one on each side)secured by SS 1/4-28 12 point aircraft bolts.

The re-inforcement makes for a strong,rigid assembly. I've got stick on anti skid strips now but plan on installing a medium sized box to carry items(just have to select the right one).

The rack makes for a good mounting place for LED running lights and additional rear braking lights.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
01 Feb 2011 22:10 #427766 by BadAssRX7
mtbspeedfreak wrote:

BadAssRX7 wrote:

If it's not too much trouble, that would be great! I can't quite see, but it looks like the grabrail was removed in lieu of the rack, correct?

sorry been down with the chest bug. I hate getting sick! Well I am planing to get the z1 and roll it over here to my house. you know your never "DONE" with toys. Larry Got a Battery Tender jr so im gonna slap on the bikes side of the plugup and he also got a new alarm. He had(has) a king cobra alarm pager but with all that has been done the wiring wasnt marked and google didnt help any and nomatter how i hooked it up it didnt do anything so he went and got a new unit. Scorpio i900 with all the bling bling. So ill remove the old snake and install the new scorpio. Ill get some pics of the rack then. Larry said about 6 weeks ago there was 1 on ebay and it went really cheap.