the Ice bike

More
04 Dec 2010 21:19 #415393 by KZ250LTD
the Ice bike was created by KZ250LTD
I've posted a few pics of this thing now but I just got it ready for it's trial run tomorrow.
When I picked it up it had been sitting for eight years without running, the tank had enough jb weld on the bottom to build a new tank out of and the holes in the tank were big enough that welders didn't want anything to do with it.

All of the grey material is jb weld.

I couldn't find another half decent tank for the same bike so when someone advertised a '1980 kawasaki 100' with this picture

for $150 200 miles away from me I got my brother in law to go pick it up for me.

While I was waiting for a chance (free weekend) to go pick it up from him I replaced the tires with regular duro tires that I then studded with 'gold screw' studs, put new tubes and rim straps in, replaced the brake shoes in front and back, replaced the fork seals and put in heavier weight oil, replaced the cush drive as it was shredded, and rebuilt the carb. I also wired in a tether deadman kill-switch for when the bike and I part company.

I was able to go grab some parts off the spare bike today but I was in for a surprise. I hadn't noticed and had just assumed that it was the angle of the picture but it turns out that the bike I bought sight unseen was a mini version 100 from 1975 :blush: :laugh: . Its had a rough life (the forks seized in their downwardmost position when my bro-in-law compressed them with tie down straps) and most of the parts wont match across. I just laughed at my mistake and since I couldn't take the entire bike with me as I haven't replaced my totaled truck yet i took the gas tank and a few other bits.

Fortunately the gas tank, which is smaller and not in great shape either, fits close enough for me! Stripped the stickers he had on it off and got busy with my own stickers :woohoo:

So now to take it out tomorrow and act like a hooligan around my neighborhood :laugh:

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2010 21:29 #415394 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic the Ice bike
They race, or used to-been awhile since I heard about them, these on the river and all I can say is that racers who race these bikes on ice are absolutely NUTS!!! Fun to watch but you wouldn't catch me on one! Are you going to just ride this around the neighborhood or around town or race it? Looks like it might be a rough ride but that would probably be the last thing you would be aware of under those conditions. Sounds like fun tooling around on!

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
04 Dec 2010 21:41 #415395 by jeffasaki
Replied by jeffasaki on topic the Ice bike
You have a way cool bike
Let it live
Run it like ya stole it
Enjoy it
MAKE US ALL WISH WE HAD one

78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
04 Dec 2010 22:04 #415398 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic the Ice bike
Very cool - not to rob the thread or anything, but the local Quaker Steak and Lube has a Z1 1400cc turbo drag bike with studs in the slicks that was built by a local (Steve Suter) who apparently drag raced and ice raced the bike. I'll have to grab some photos next time I'm there.

More
04 Dec 2010 22:28 #415401 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic the Ice bike
DoubleDub wrote:

Very cool - not to rob the thread or anything, but the local Quaker Steak and Lube has a Z1 1400cc turbo drag bike with studs in the slicks that was built by a local (Steve Suter) who apparently drag raced and ice raced the bike. I'll have to grab some photos next time I'm there.

I'd love to see a picture of that beast! Suter must have used a wheelchair cause it must be hard to walk with balls that big! :woohoo:

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

More
04 Dec 2010 22:32 #415402 by KZ250LTD
racer54 wrote:

They race, or used to-been awhile since I heard about them, these on the river and all I can say is that racers who race these bikes on ice are absolutely NUTS!!! Fun to watch but you wouldn't catch me on one! Are you going to just ride this around the neighborhood or around town or race it? Looks like it might be a rough ride but that would probably be the last thing you would be aware of under those conditions. Sounds like fun tooling around on!

Probably won't race this year, I will insure it for the road ($10 a month) so I can putt around my neighborhood and take it out to a couple of tracks that are usually plowed around here in my truck. Should be fun! :silly:

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

More
04 Dec 2010 22:59 - 04 Dec 2010 23:25 #415404 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic the Ice bike
Cool old bike!! The ice bike title grabbed my attention lol. We've been ice racing around here since the mid 70s and we've reached an amazing level of speed and handling with the tires available and the local riders skill. Sorry for hijacking your thread, but ice racing season is almost here lol. The last picture is myself. Irishwill has also been known to come out and play on the ice when he's in town!

Check Dave's lean angle!!

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada
Last edit: 04 Dec 2010 23:25 by TerryK.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
05 Dec 2010 00:41 #415408 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic the Ice bike
hahahahahahahaahhahahaaahahaahahahahahaahaha

oh the winter must really suck....

hahahahahaahaaaaahaahhaahahahahahahahahahaaha

hahahahaahahaahahaaha

ice racing...too rich

stop it your killing me...

ice racing....ahahahahahaahahahahahaha...you guys are too much........

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
05 Dec 2010 01:20 #415409 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic the Ice bike
TerryK wrote:

Cool old bike!! The ice bike title grabbed my attention lol. We've been ice racing around here since the mid 70s and we've reached an amazing level of speed and handling with the tires available and the local riders skill. Sorry for hijacking your thread, but ice racing season is almost here lol. The last picture is myself. Irishwill has also been known to come out and play on the ice when he's in town!

I'm nowhere near the snow belt but this looks like FUN! What is the tubular attachment to the front fender for?

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
05 Dec 2010 01:28 #415410 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic the Ice bike
They say a picture tells a thousand words. Well this one says it all. If you ever find yourself buying more than one package of JB Weld at a time, then you know you're in trouble.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN
Attachments:

More
05 Dec 2010 04:22 #415413 by ace
Replied by ace on topic the Ice bike
awesome pics be safe ace.

78kz1000

More
05 Dec 2010 06:43 #415426 by KZ250LTD
TerryK wrote:

Awesome pictures! I've only ever seen the big plastic wheel fenders on ice bikes before, are those fancy frames irishwill's doing?

Do any of the guys out there run the coolant lines through the bars? I've heard that's a fairly popular way to get some heated grips :lol:

Thumper Talk is pretty good site where lots of the guys seem to ice race

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.