• User
  • From where KZs came
More
28 Nov 2010 06:08 #414526 by tybolt99
Get big Daddy running. was created by tybolt99
Got it running:laugh:
I've done,
Put Odyssey PC925 battery.
Drained old gas from the tank and filter (ordered new one), then put some Seaform (about 1/2 bottle). Put a gallon of fresh gas.
Removed and reinstalled Cam Chain Tensioner.
Put new spark plugs.
Cleaned air filter (K&N)
Changed oil and oil filter.
Adjusted clutch.
Got this 84 ZN1300 Voyager i picked up last week fired up!

When it started for the first time, smoke filled up the workshop. It cleared pretty much now but little. High concentration of Seaform hurt?

Front break was pretty tight. Put in the first gear, the bike could barely move. Took front calipers off and backed pistons in and reinstalled. Will change fluid and pads and see what will happen. Rear master seems bad. Pump rear break pedal all the way down without much resistance, no break. Will have to rebuild, I guess.

I will test drive when I get break fixed.

Compare to KZ900 and Z1, this thing is huge (frame and all) and has sooooo many electric wires.:blink:

Try to post some pictures later.

82 KZ750 H3
76 KZ900 A4
74 Z1A
73 Z1 (on the shelf)
84 ZN1300
Franklinton, NC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
28 Nov 2010 07:12 #414529 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Get big Daddy running.
I think smoking due to Seafoam use is normal. I use the stuff annually in my boat motor, and it creates a ton of smoke. Granted, the boat is 2 stroke, so it's apples to oranges. I'd guess that the combination of Seafoam with a bike that has been dormant would do that. I bet it will be fine once you run her for a while.

As for the breaks, I have seen an accumulation of white crud build up behind the rubber seals on the pistons. This will cause the breaks to stick badly. I have successfully repaired two sets of calipers like this by simply dis-assembling and cleaning the junk out.

Are the Voyager's as vulnerable to cam chain tensioner failure as the KZ1300? I hear that it's the #1 killer of Kawasaki inline sixes. Might be worth investigating.

BTW I saw a Voyager in the wrecking yard about a year ago, and that thing is a monster.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• tybolt99
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • From where KZs came
More
28 Nov 2010 07:39 #414535 by tybolt99
Replied by tybolt99 on topic Get big Daddy running.
testarossa wrote:

I think smoking due to Seafoam use is normal. I use the stuff annually in my boat motor, and it creates a ton of smoke. Granted, the boat is 2 stroke, so it's apples to oranges. I'd guess that the combination of Seafoam with a bike that has been dormant would do that. I bet it will be fine once you run her for a while.

As for the breaks, I have seen an accumulation of white crud build up behind the rubber seals on the pistons. This will cause the breaks to stick badly. I have successfully repaired two sets of calipers like this by simply dis-assembling and cleaning the junk out.

Are the Voyager's as vulnerable to cam chain tensioner failure as the KZ1300? I hear that it's the #1 killer of Kawasaki inline sixes. Might be worth investigating.

BTW I saw a Voyager in the wrecking yard about a year ago, and that thing is a monster.

I read about cam chain tensioner. It recommends to change the stock one with APE manual tensioner or the one for ZX11. PO has installed ZX11 CCT.I just took it off, inspected and put it back in. Air box was in the way and it was kinda bxxxh to work:angry: But it's all good.
Thank you for the comment on breaks. I will dis-assemble and clean them. I gotta have good breaks to stop 915 lbs monster!

82 KZ750 H3
76 KZ900 A4
74 Z1A
73 Z1 (on the shelf)
84 ZN1300
Franklinton, NC

More
28 Nov 2010 09:39 #414542 by grumpy56
Replied by grumpy56 on topic Get big Daddy running.
"BIG DADDY" is certainly a good way to describe that beast!!!

Lewis
1982 KZ1000-J2
2006 HD FXD35
1970 Suzuki T350
1972 Suzuki GT380 (In-Process)
In The Past...71 TM400, 72 H-D SS350, 72 GT380, 75 Z1B, 77 XLH, 79 CB750K

• tybolt99
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • From where KZs came
More
28 Nov 2010 11:38 #414552 by tybolt99
Replied by tybolt99 on topic Get big Daddy running.
Some pictures.
ZX11 CCT

Meter panel

Switch panel for air shocks

Trip computer

82 KZ750 H3
76 KZ900 A4
74 Z1A
73 Z1 (on the shelf)
84 ZN1300
Franklinton, NC