650 Cafe Project

More
24 Nov 2010 00:44 #414010 by sroberts152
Replied by sroberts152 on topic 650 Cafe Project
Another day, more stuff done. I am really happy with today - my plan was just to get the oil filter taken off but I did so much more.

Removed Chain (It was nasty, old and rusty)
Removed and drained tank (recycled the gas to my Shadow)
Removed Tach cable (I will check to see if it leaks and if so I will just deal with it then)
Moved Brake line to other side of fork so it won't kink
Drained oil
Removed Pods
Removed and cleaned crankcase filter (I need to replace this)
Removed Pipes (I think I want to find a different set - these are really rusty)
Removed Oil Cooler (did this last)

Tank looks really good inside and out. It looks like it was originally a red color and the orange was painted over the top but not underneath. I thought my petcock was bad since the carbs flooded but I did not have any issues when I was draining the tank - the only way it would just drain is if it was on PRI. I bought a new petcock and still may just replace it just to be on the safe side.

I have an airbox coming. I am going to use that for a bit to get everything tuned before I start messing with it. I did see a home made airbox on this site but I can't seem to get any new information about the intake on it (It was just PVC).

I got a new oil filter. I will replace this when I get ready to do engine work.

I think I am going to need more shelf space if I keep this up.

The real work starts soon. I don't know why but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the bike if I take the pegs off. I keep doing stuff and saying to myself that "That was the point of no return" but I am way way past that point now. I feel like the pegs are it even though, I know it isn't the case.

As of today, I decided to go with a newer sport bike front end and a newer swingarm. Any ideas on what would fit with minimal modifications?

1978 KZ650SR
2001 Triumph Speed Triple i955

Past bikes - Too many to list.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2010 19:34 - 25 Nov 2010 19:35 #414242 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic 650 Cafe Project
Great project.

the only way it would just drain is if it was on PRI

That's normal.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 25 Nov 2010 19:35 by rstnick.

• M357.5
  • User
  • Kwakas N' lots of em'
More
25 Nov 2010 20:10 #414249 by M357.5
Replied by M357.5 on topic 650 Cafe Project
I'm doing a 650SR as well, I have ZX636 forks on it now, but I have a set of GSXR1100 forks here I'm going to mock up tomorrow. Most Suzuki rear swingarms will go in with spacers. Lots of info on the site. I'm still looking for a swingarm myself.

I liked the tracker look of your 650, but with you changing it up maybe we can swap ideas and info as we progress.

83 KZ750L X2 + goodies = Project
84 KZ750L the mini ELR replica replica lol
84 ZX750E Turbo modded n' FAAAAASSSSSSTTTTT
85 GPz900r GREEN N' MEAN

More
25 Nov 2010 23:31 #414257 by sroberts152
I like that plan. I am all about swapping ideas - although at this point I may be asking for more advice than I am giving. I am excited about what I have done in the first 6 or so hours on this bike and what I have learned though my research.

How easy was the GSXR front end to install? One of my big problems, especially with the swingarms, is that I do not trust myself to weld anything that has to do with suspension or frames and that limits my mods and opportunities a little bit.

I know there is a lot of great info out there and a lot on this site, it is a little frustrating with how slow this site is.

1978 KZ650SR

More
27 Nov 2010 12:16 #414407 by sroberts152
Engine comes out tomorrow. I just found a ZR550 swingarm and a whole ZX6 front end. Moving right along. Pictures when the engine is out. Then I can finish cutting off all the tabs and cleaning off the frame. I'm hoping to have all that done about the time the swingarm shows up so I can mock it up, prep it then take it in for powder coat.

1978 KZ650SR

More
28 Nov 2010 17:05 #414600 by sroberts152
Alright... Engine came out today. Forks came off. Swingarm came off. Center stand removed.

All the bolts are out except for one stubborn footpeg bolt. I just can't get a grip on it to break it free from the gunk that built up. I sprayed WD40, I think I need to go out and get some break free.

I cut most of the leftover tabs off for the side panels and the battery mount - I have one more corner tab to take off and the 2 tabs that were welded on for the oil cooler. Then I have to clean up all my cuts. A little more cleaning up on the tabs, a quick weld for a tray to mount the battery and I can take it in for powder coat. I'm thinking I'm about 2 weeks away from this point since I'm waiting for a few things and I don't have a lot of time to work on this. As of right now, I've probably put in 10-15 hours - learning as I go.

Pics:

Forks and tires

Engine

Frame

I'm thinking I could do a modified cover for the clutch and chain guard since I don't have an electronic starter anymore and that cover is pretty big.

1978 KZ650SR

More
28 Nov 2010 17:25 #414605 by sroberts152
A few more...

1978 KZ650SR

More
06 Dec 2010 23:23 #415745 by sroberts152
Its been too long since I had a chance to work on this thing - I work about 60-70 hours a week between 2 jobs so most of my time at home it is pretty late at night. Also I have been waiting for my forks and swingarm before I do anything to the suspension (including the steering bearings from my other thread) or any sort of mock up. Plus I had been waiting for some parts and an angle grinder.

Today, I had some free time and got to grinding.

I knocked off the steering column lock:

I need to weld that hole closed on the neck and then clean it up before powder coat.

I took off the welded on mounts for the oil cooler:

And I started going at all the tabs for the side covers:

I also cleaned up the center stand mounts - they don't look too pretty but nobody is ever going to see them.

This was about an hour of work. I think its ok since I now have a grand total of about an hour experience on an angle grinder with metal. :) I have a bit more to do for clean up before I get to the sand paper to get rid of the rest of the burs.

I am still waiting for my seat to come in before I decide what I'm going to about the seat mounts and if I am going to keep the hinge seat mount or bolt it on.

As for color, I have had a change of heart - I am not going with the orange frame anymore. I will either do a red frame or silver then figure out the bike from there. The reason for this is I have lucked into a really good shape 1976 CB550. My friend's dad is selling it to me for $500. It is bright orange just like my old CB550F and there is no reason to have 2 bright orange bikes in my house.

1978 KZ650SR

More
07 Dec 2010 23:41 #415895 by sroberts152
I came home today to my new forks. Not really as described so I have some more work to do - one seal is leaking and needs to be replaced, paint all around needs to be redone. But they fit like a champ. I have to get some fork stops welded up before paint.

They changes the angle of the front end a little bit - they stick out a little further than stock.

I am going to stop posting so much. I've just been excited about everything going so well so far.

1978 KZ650SR

More
08 Dec 2010 14:26 #415960 by z650c3
Replied by z650c3 on topic 650 Cafe Project
No way can you stop posting now we,re all waiting for the next instalment . Keep up the good work.

c3

1979 z650 c3 first registered in 1981
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCR
Northern Ireland

More
09 Dec 2010 08:53 - 09 Dec 2010 08:54 #416083 by sroberts152
Don't worry, I am not going to stop posting... I just don't need to post every single step.

I did take off the front brake, fender and wheel from the old forks last night to see how far off I am. There is a big gap between the wheel and the inside of the forks and the axle collars do not fit in the forks - they are too big. I guess I need to get axle collars for these forks and some sort of spacer. Also the front fender is pretty narrow and needs spacers too.

Any ideas for spacers? I might need to get a different fender.

1978 KZ650SR

Last edit: 09 Dec 2010 08:54 by sroberts152.

• dwilliams2385
  • User
  • to each there own as long as u leave me alone!!!!!
More
09 Dec 2010 09:59 #416090 by dwilliams2385
Replied by dwilliams2385 on topic 650 Cafe Project
was those front forks a direct fit and exactly what did you have to do to make them work im getting ready to start my project cafe and i got a kz650 79 c3 and im real interested in axactly what it took for those forks
thanks and keep the posts coming dont you dare stop or slow down i look forward to every post as of yet
thanks
dave

1979 kz650 c3